Carlos Carvalhal was right

16 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Carlos was probably the only manager I can remember in recent times where I enjoyed listening to the press conferences and interviews.

Used to be so funny to see the love in Holloway’s eyes as they stood at pitchside chatting over another victory. The opposites manager got a couple of minutes, Carlos got to close out the programme.

We should get him back as chief interviewer or something.

It’s funny that, because personally I found him totally embarrassing in his interviews. Always made me wonder what his team talks must be like. Same at Swansea. 

5 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Don’t be so naive..you still think the manager signs all the players and sorts all the contracts out?? It’s not the 1980s anymore..cc was the puppet..controlled by the puppet master..turns out he did ok for 2 years n all..suppose you think dc scouted an obscure German second division manager to replace him🤨

No doubt about it the chairman sorts out who the next manager is gonna be taking advice from others shall we say. Which players the manager wants has to be down to him,  the contractual side is sorted by the chairman and agents.

Guest Therealrealist
3 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Thats exactly what I'm saying.

Eh? I said cc didn’t spend all the money and you said he did...I don’t think you know what your sayin tbh

I haven’t read right through the thread but what do people see in Carlos Carvalhal to suggest he’s our saviour?

In over 20 years of management he’s only completed 2 full seasons at 1 club, yes us!

He’s currently in his 19th appointment in 22 years. 

Carlos is not the answer..

Edited by Welsh76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Dave Allen would have had the foresight and common sense to send that greasy car salesman Carlvalhal packing long before Chansiri did

So we'd never have got to the playoffs twice in his 2.5 seasons here.    Its the only excitement we've had in over 20 years.

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

Eh? I said cc didn’t spend all the money and you said he did...I don’t think you know what your sayin tbh

Carlos would have been informed what market we were shopping in. It was down to the chairman to then agree a fee and contracts etc

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

So we'd never have got to the playoffs twice in his 2.5 seasons here.    Its the only excitement we've had in over 20 years.

Like smoking crack it's great whilst that lasts, but then your teeth fall out, your skin starts peeling off, your eyes start bleeding and you have to live with the aftermath 

And at the same time crave another fix even though you know full well it will probably kill you

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Obviously you’re a hater, but for what it’s worth:

-We were one of the most exciting teams to watch in his first season, our style suffered in his second season as teams figured us out and we struggled with injuries 

-“plenty of resources to build a team capable of gaining promotion” - Well seeing as the playoffs is a lottery, I think a playoff final and a penalty shootout away from another one, getting that constitutes as building a team ‘capable’ of gaining promotion, regardless of if we did it or not, we got that close  

-Man management was terrible? Which players have told you this?

-played players not fit? As I keep saying, players have to pass fitness tests and be declared fit by physios, you’ll have to take that up with our medical department (who don’t seem to be doing a good job to this day)

-“Bottled the big games” - I assume you mean the Huddersfield game when we had 6 or 7 first choice players injured, and 2 more went off during the game. Losing that many players is going to have an impact on any squad in world football and the style they want to play.

Obviously a hater. On what evidence?

You agree then that football was poor during the majority of time as you can only highlight "in his first season"? He was here a lot longer than that.

Gaining promotion? We didn't.

Man management? Forestieri not getting on the bus. McGugan called out in an interview after a game when he stated he didn't want to play where asked to. Rhodes thrown under a bus after the play off as he said he didn't want to take a penalty. Plus the way players were allowed to come and go as they pleased.

Players not fit but he played them anyway which cost us the semi-final against Huddersfield. The team were in good form but this was broke up so he could play his favourites.

Bottled big games, Huddersfield twice, Hull, United. Who were these 6 or 7 first choice players that were unavailable?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Carlos was probably the only manager I can remember in recent times where I enjoyed listening to the press conferences and interviews.

Used to be so funny to see the love in Holloway’s eyes as they stood at pitchside chatting over another victory. The opposites manager got a couple of minutes, Carlos got to close out the programme.

We should get him back as chief interviewer or something.

His interviews and press conferences were comedic. I used to drive home wondering if I had been at the same game as him. He talked in riddles or would have little gimmicks such as his £20 note.

3 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Who should we have been promoted ahead of in either season then given the money spent. Year 1 automatics were Boro and Burnley, both teams with big budgets or newly relegated. We didn’t even have our main players signed until the end of the transfer window and it took until game 8 for us to get our second win bedding in all the new players. After 7 games we had 6 points, Boro and Burnley had 14. We were never going up automatically. Play offs we beat a very good Brighton side who were close to automatic, then lost out against a more experienced team and manager against Hull. Can’t really call that a failure to get over the line.

Year 2 Newcastle had a huge budget and Brighton were better than us again. We were well ahead of the likes of Villa and Norwich who had much bigger budgets. Admittedly we failed in the play offs but it really is a lottery when you’re in them and anyone can win.

First two years we did the right thing by being competitive and putting ourselves in contention.. unlucky not to get the breaks and get over the line. Our mistake is that we didn’t improve after year 2 and we stopped spending for various reasons. It’s been downhill since

Cc manage 15 clubs before Wednesday not good and relegated swansea that's he's legacy when the pressure came on he poo he's pants at both clubs when no expectations a great man so if your happy with a unproven foreign manager we'll good for you.... see how Chris Haughton got the job done with Brighton dis isn't playground stuff your talking millions of pounds at stake you got to and I repeat got to get it right it's the difference from mickey mouse clubs and were one now 

Guest Therealrealist
24 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

His interviews and press conferences were comedic. I used to drive home wondering if I had been at the same game as him. He talked in riddles or would have little gimmicks such as his £20 note.

So what do you think of monks press conferences?.

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, nort pole owl said:

Cc manage 15 clubs before Wednesday not good and relegated swansea that's he's legacy when the pressure came on he poo he's pants at both clubs when no expectations a great man so if your happy with a unproven foreign manager we'll good for you.... see how Chris Haughton got the job done with Brighton dis isn't playground stuff your talking millions of pounds at stake you got to and I repeat got to get it right it's the difference from mickey mouse clubs and were one now 

Foreign clubs change their manager every year anyway.. it’s why they all have a head coach and director of football structure. Carlos jumped ship from Braga after one successful year too so it’s just the way things are over there. 

Let’s take Brighton as an example then. 

2010-11 promoted from league 1

2011-12 finished 10th

2012-13 finished 4th then lost in POs

2013-14 finished 6th then lost in POs 

2014-15 finished 20th (Hughton came Dec 2014)

2015-16 finished 3rd then lost to us

2016-17 finished 2nd, promoted to PL

All that shows to me is you build a side good enough to be there or thereabouts, then there’s a huge element of luck on whether it happens or not. The manager can’t control whether they win the play offs or not. Hughton lost that play off to us.. Steve Bruce lost the play off final at Villa.

Our problem is that we haven’t done the right things since 2016. First mistake was wasting money on players we didn’t need like Abdi or Rhodes.. fine if you can afford to lose it but we/Chansiri clearly couldn’t given we’ve spent hardly anything since. Then you’ve got half the fan base in 2017 saying they’re sick of these players and manager because they didn’t go up after finishing 6th and 4th. They also were writing off most of our best players saying they’re too old all the time.. players like Westwood being 34 (not too old for a keeper) and most of the outfield ones being 28-30 when they’ve got a good 3-5 years left. 

What we should have done is evolve the squad and carry on spending after 2017, sell a few here and there, but evolve not gut it. Instead we didn’t bring in anymore players to improve us, hired a moron to manage us in 2018 which basically killed off two seasons. Then didn’t improve yet again in summer 2019, and Bruce left, then we hired another moron. 

It’s totally mismanaged.. 2017-18 was probably a write off for us after the injuries and losing games.. but following the Brighton model we could have bounced back with the right managerial appointments and improvements to the squad. Neither happened and now we have a pretty weak squad and a poor manager, a chairman who looks to have run out of cash. So further away than ever because the right decisions weren’t made to ensure we stayed near the top of the division. 

10 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Foreign clubs change their manager every year anyway.. it’s why they all have a head coach and director of football structure. Carlos jumped ship from Braga after one successful year too so it’s just the way things are over there. 

Let’s take Brighton as an example then. 

2010-11 promoted from league 1

2011-12 finished 10th

2012-13 finished 4th then lost in POs

2013-14 finished 6th then lost in POs 

2014-15 finished 20th (Hughton came Dec 2014)

2015-16 finished 3rd then lost to us

2016-17 finished 2nd, promoted to PL

All that shows to me is you build a side good enough to be there or thereabouts, then there’s a huge element of luck on whether it happens or not. The manager can’t control whether they win the play offs or not. Hughton lost that play off to us.. Steve Bruce lost the play off final at Villa.

Our problem is that we haven’t done the right things since 2016. First mistake was wasting money on players we didn’t need like Abdi or Rhodes.. fine if you can afford to lose it but we/Chansiri clearly couldn’t given we’ve spent hardly anything since. Then you’ve got half the fan base in 2017 saying they’re sick of these players and manager because they didn’t go up after finishing 6th and 4th. They also were writing off most of our best players saying they’re too old all the time.. players like Westwood being 34 (not too old for a keeper) and most of the outfield ones being 28-30 when they’ve got a good 3-5 years left. 

What we should have done is evolve the squad and carry on spending after 2017, sell a few here and there, but evolve not gut it. Instead we didn’t bring in anymore players to improve us, hired a moron to manage us in 2018 which basically killed off two seasons. Then didn’t improve yet again in summer 2019, and Bruce left, then we hired another moron. 

It’s totally mismanaged.. 2017-18 was probably a write off for us after the injuries and losing games.. but following the Brighton model we could have bounced back with the right managerial appointments and improvements to the squad. Neither happened and now we have a pretty weak squad and a poor manager, a chairman who looks to have run out of cash. So further away than ever because the right decisions weren’t made to ensure we stayed near the top of the division. 

Good post. But selling at the right time is key and having a model which isn’t the boom or bust approach. 10m on Rhodes killed us and it wrote us off for the next 5/6 seasons.

Also not selling players when they have value.

We could have sold FF and Reach for good money but instead they’ll walk away for nothing and chances are we won’t replace them with better. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

What has that got to do with Carvalhal?

You mentioned his comedy press confer3nces..so I just mentioned monks press conferences..I take it you don’t want to answer my question..fair dinkum👍