Carlos Carvalhal was right

17 minutes ago, Carbone said:

The phrase “re-writing history” gets thrown around a lot at the moment, but it’s certainly what you’ve done here.

You say he had a lot of resources like success was expected. Can you tell me what your expectations were at the start of his tenure? I don’t think anybody expected us to finish in the playoffs, let alone get to Wembley.

This bottling it against Huddersfield is just nonsense. We were absolutely crippled, look how many players we had out through injury and then lost during the game (Wallace and Fletcher). That’s obviously going to have a message effect on how you play. See how Liverpool or City would get on without 6/7 of their regular starters.

The idea that it was him and his methods is also nonsense. Players have to pass fitness tests for them to play and be cleared by physios, a manager can’t force a player to play through injury. And given we still struggle with injuries 3 years on, it’s clearly not a problem caused by Carlos.

Well said Sir

• Like 2

Evey manager runs their time with a football club. It's called the end for a reason. Time for a change. I seem to recall many supporters accusing Carlos of the very same things we're accussing Monk of right now. 

Same drivel week in week out. 

Square pegs in round holes.

Lost the players.

Etc, Etc............

The end is the end for a reason. Players imho start to get confused possibly even pissed off, and that reflects in their overall play. 

Carlos isn't the answer, he really isn't. We need a manager who has the right atributes/ He may take us down. What will we do then? call for a new manager. I ain't saying stick with Monk, not in the slightest, but this next appointment just simply has to be the right one. 

I just worry that DC is not the man or Paxo for that matter to get this right.

Whilst Monk will be the fall guy, let's not forget for one moment  that he will ultimately pay the price for the situation at this club not created by him.

• Like 3

Professional Footballers play to win trophies

Football fans are in it for the memories. These aren't always directly tied into the above

I've supported Wednesday for 25 ish years

If someone was to say name your top 25 HAPPY MEMORIES of the lady 25 years, there will have been moments where where Carlos was in charge. More so than many of our other managers.

I'll never buy into the "honours board" nonsense, I've not know any in my time and many fans who support Wednesday also won't. But I do remember watching the arsenal game with 3 arsenal fans beaming like a lunatic.

I'm not disputing that his management got us to where we are now (and it was not solely his management I'd like to add) but I'm also thankful for some of the memories provided by him and that team which in the last 20 years are, let's face it, have been pretty shambolic when it comes to "honours"

1 hour ago, coopswfc76 said:

On the pitch is the most "success we've had in 25years" as for draining the club that's what the chairman is there for to turn the tap off not leave it running when were out of water.

We still though didn't have a top 3 budget either season.

agree to a certain extent but regardless of people’s views, he is alone of the main reasons we are a mess both on and off the pitch. 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Just saying he had the foresight to see the moment he left this club was going to fall apart. He saw it coming.

VISIONARY. 

What, are you saying that he knew that Steve Bruce, potentially the best manager we've had since Big Ron, would shaft us? That truly is visionary, because nobody else saw that coming until it was too late. Unlike Coco, Bruce would have got us to the PL if he’d stayed. 

• Like 1

Hindsight is wonderful and we should have never have go rid of him.

He would have done better than Jos!

Yes were were poor in his 3rd season but we had major injuries and our expectations had risen after 2 playoff appearances.

We wouldn't have gone down that season and what might have been possible when players came back.

He deserved the right to be given more time to build another side.

He did get us playing some fantastic football and gave us our two highest finishes of the last 20 years!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

What, are you saying that he knew that Steve Bruce, potentially the best manager we've had since Big Ron, would shaft us? That truly is visionary, because nobody else saw that coming until it was too late. Unlike Coco, Bruce would have got us to the PL if he’d stayed. 

Why do you think Bruce jumped ship as soon as he could? He was telling his agent to find him a new club long before Newcastle came knocking.

He knew the club was an absolute basket case and wanted out. 

6 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

He did get us playing some fantastic football and gave us our two highest finishes of the last 20 years!

And at what cost?

I would trade all of that - the football (his first season at any rate), the playoffs, the wembley appearance - to be a comfortably mid table Championship side today. One without FFP issues, without a points deduction, without the ground being sold, and with the possibility that with modest and sensible investment we could potentially challenge .

As it is, I fear the trapdoor opening beneath us. However good the memories, they just weren't worth it.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Where the hell has this come from?

Seriously bi-polar owlstalk

There was a campaign amongst the fans and on owlstalk for months to chase him out of Sheffield.   Someone even took a quilt cover on the kop and painted 'Carlos Out' on it.  Season ticket holders had stopped going.  We had 16  players injured at one point.

AND you forget we are still paying for the team he had success with.  If he had experience of building solid teams on a budget that can hold it's own in the Championship then it could be a starter but he doesn't.

Admittedly he's got more charisma in 1 little toe than Monk has in his whole body but is that enough?

Watching Monks teams must have addled your brains.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Hindsight is wonderful and we should have never have go rid of him.

He would have done better than Jos!

Yes were were poor in his 3rd season but we had major injuries and our expectations had risen after 2 playoff appearances.

We wouldn't have gone down that season and what might have been possible when players came back.

He deserved the right to be given more time to build another side.

Personally, I think he should have gone after the defeat against Udders in the Semi. But, only my opinion. It was an ideal time in that the season had ended witht time to make some tweaks here and there. Perhaps a new manager would have got a tune out of that group, who knows?

His departure was by mutual consent, and hey ho 4 days later he racks up at Swansea!!

Not a coinsidence IMHO. I think he wanted out, but wasn't going to leave.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howards back said:

I wish I had been a fly on the wall at that Christmas party then I could have spilled the beans about what happened. We hear so much about it but no one will say what happened. 

That's because nothing did happen mate. It's something made up to keep you coming back for more. 

• Like 1