Fastest and Slowest ever Wednesday players?

47 minutes ago, malek said:

Almost sure that Barry Horne at 40 was quicker than Guy Branston when he was with us.

Btw.  Wasn't Nathan Modest asked to quit football and switch to athletics as he was lightning quick ?!

mukhtar mohammed was in our academy but got released and became a decent 800m runner

• Like 2

Mark Chamberlain was quick. 

We used to have a dilemma. Chamberlain was lightening but couldn’t cross for toffee. Marwood had the best cross in the history of mankind but couldn’t get past his man to deliver it. 

@nevthelodgemoorowl used to say that we should play both of them, with Chamberlain carrying Marwood on his shoulders. Chamberlain would beat his man, get to the bye-line, then Marwood would jump down and cross the ball. 

Ive never seen a quicker Wednesday player than Walker, though big Dom just eats the ground.

52 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Laurie M slowest by miles. Legs so bandy a car could drive through.

Made up for it with speed of thought and experience.

Lawrie Madden? I had him down as very quick though he didn't look it, great football brain as well, one of our best ever free transfer signings. 

I always thought Gary Hooper wasn't very quick but like Madden had a good football brain. 

Jermaine Johnson is possibly our quickest player I've seen, Michael Reedy was also very quick. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

For pure acceleration Helan takes some beating.

Like lightening, and a strong runner but couldn’t trap a bag of cement 

That was Brian Clough's comment on Gary Megson!

Fastest - JJ

Slowest - Pretty sure Joicey wasn't called Dobbin for nowt! 

40 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Lawrie Madden? I had him down as very quick though he didn't look it, great football brain as well, one of our best ever free transfer signings. 

I always thought Gary Hooper wasn't very quick but like Madden had a good football brain. 

Jermaine Johnson is possibly our quickest player I've seen, Michael Reedy was also very quick. 

correct. Madden wa actually pretty quick in his prime.

Des was fast, no strikers beat him for pace when he was in his prime. Wish I could remember which game / player it was but I remember him totally taking the píss when an opponent was sprinting for a loose ball, the player had a big head start but Des caught him up in a few strides, actually slowed down to almost a jog alongside him for a few seconds, almost as if he was laughing at him, then accelerated again to get to the ball. It was like a Roadrunner cartoon.