FOR SALE - Jacob Murphy - £3M - APPLY WITHIN

3 million for Murphy has got Championship-team-with-parachute-payments-aplenty written all over it, sadly.

Without doubt 3 million would be excellent value, but I doubt that that kind of money is available, and even if it were, we ought really to be looking at strikers first and foremost.

Still, if we're playing 3-5-2, quality from the wide areas is important and Murphy proved since the new year that he would fit the bill perfectly.

• Like 2

Depends if we can stretch it over a couple of years or something, and whether P&S will allow us to bring in Murphy, plus a couple of strikers and a couple of loanees? If we can, then go for it, as long as we can bring in at least one striker, as well. Murphy was one of our best players last season.

He was our main threat and suited us last season. He's adaptable, he looked just as good in a attacking wing back role, has he does on the wing or in the attacking wide roles of a front three. In my opinion it was important during this window to bring back Murphy or if we can't to bring in someone similar who could be just as effective for us. 

40 minutes ago, cowl said:

3 million for Murphy has got Championship-team-with-parachute-payments-aplenty written all over it, sadly.

Without doubt 3 million would be excellent value, but I doubt that that kind of money is available, and even if it were, we ought really to be looking at strikers first and foremost.

Still, if we're playing 3-5-2, quality from the wide areas is important and Murphy proved since the new year that he would fit the bill perfectly.

Yep; I'd be amazed if Norwich didn't fancy taking back at that price.

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

Indeed and it has been such a great success - he is the only striker at the club and now there are midfielders preferred for his position.

Seriously, how bad can it get?

GM trying to convince us all that Adam Reach is best placed upfront. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

6 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Dejphon Chansiri told fans that if prices remained high, we would see continued investment in the first team squad at the levels we’d seen when he arrived.

The fans have kept their side of the bargain and continued to pay these ridiculously high prices, now’s the time for him to keep his.

When you look at some of the fees clubs in the Championship are paying for players, £3m for Jacob Murphy is good value.

Did you believe him? If we want to only get 12 points deducted we cant spend anywhere near the amount he did when he took over. 

10 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

Did you believe him? If we want to only get 12 points deducted we cant spend anywhere near the amount he did when he took over. 

Actually, that's not accurate (sorry to be pedantic). We can spend just as much. The trick is to stop treating the club like a "family" (us fans are the cousins that get treated appallingly btw) and start running it as a football club and chuffing sell players when you can raise revenue and identify appropriate replacements. Something that in five years DC has succeeded doing once (Lucas Joao)

Edited by StudentOwl

3 hours ago, H2Owl said:

Sadly for us we rarely sell, so a £3 million outlay is exactly that for FFP. We sign players, let them run down their contracts and leave for nothing. Scandalous way to run the run the club, and that's the reason we can't afford him.

Will be a great signing for another club though at that price. No brainer.

Do we have any leaway with the sale of hillsborough, or have the funds already been allocated. 

6 hours ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

Prices on a level with every other club in the division, keep peddling the myth though eh!

You didn't reply to this when I responded to a similar post of yours on this subject on Friday but I'll try again anyway....

I didn't mind when Chansiri put the season ticket prices up as it reflected the added investment in the team. Our season tickets have been comparatively expensive since before he took over. We had a bottom 6 budget in this division prior to 2015 but not bottom 6 prices.

However this table doesn't suggest we are reasonably priced in comparison to the rest of the division, although it was from 2 seasons ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931

In terms of away prices, this article suggests we charged the second highest average price to away fans in 2018-19 https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/eye-watering-costs-following-championship-16689129

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You didn't reply to this when I responded to a similar post of yours on this subject on Friday but I'll try again anyway....

I didn't mind when Chansiri put the season ticket prices up as it reflected the added investment in the team. Our season tickets have been comparatively expensive since before he took over. We had a bottom 6 budget in this division prior to 2015 but not bottom 6 prices.

However this table doesn't suggest we are reasonably priced in comparison to the rest of the division, although it was from 2 seasons ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931

In terms of away prices, this article suggests we charged the second highest average price to away fans in 2018-19 https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/eye-watering-costs-following-championship-16689129

Save your breath.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daizan10 said:

Then he shouldn’t have made the promise if he couldn’t keep it.

A reminder of what we were told....

A) Would you prefer the prices at Sheffield Wednesday across the board, for example Season Tickets, matchday tickets, official merchandise, corporate hospitality, were reduced to previous eras? The consequence of this would be the sale of key senior players, regular promotion to the first team of academy youngsters and a reduced level of investment.

Answer: Yes 29.94% No 70.06%

B) Alternatively, would you prefer the club to build on the current level of investment, maintain the pricing structure, and extend our ongoing strategy geared towards promotion to the Premier League.

Answer: Yes: 70.14%  No: 29.86%

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/owls-thank-supporters/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Dejphon Chansiri told fans that if prices remained high, we would see continued investment in the first team squad at the levels we’d seen when he arrived.

The fans have kept their side of the bargain and continued to pay these ridiculously high prices, now’s the time for him to keep his.

When you look at some of the fees clubs in the Championship are paying for players, £3m for Jacob Murphy is good value.

you know he can’t do that because of FFP rules. 

let’s stop fantasising and be realistic.