FOR SALE - Jacob Murphy - £3M - APPLY WITHIN

9 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Dejphon Chansiri told fans that if prices remained high, we would see continued investment in the first team squad at the levels we’d seen when he arrived.

The fans have kept their side of the bargain and continued to pay these ridiculously high prices, now’s the time for him to keep his.

When you look at some of the fees clubs in the Championship are paying for players, £3m for Jacob Murphy is good value.

A small matter of FFP.

11 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He'd be a great signing at that price; unfortunately, I doubt we can pay it.

It makes the £3m we wasted on Abdi all the more frustrating, doesn't it?

2m Stevie May

3m Abdi 

10m Rhodes

2m Jones

4m JVA

3m Matias

And the wages for above + Boyd etc

Tens of millions down the toilet 

• Like 1

You’d think this was a no brainer if we could afford it.

That said, the thought of us spending any money on a player would be foolhardy given our track record.

Our fees paid literally go one way, out of the door!!! We regress players, they become worthless under our stewardship. We cannot add value to a player and sell down the line for a profit. It’s beyond our ability to operate in this way, a model so many other clubs currently use to great effect.

Unfortunately, all evidence suggests that us paying a fee is throwing money down the drain. Working within the P&S guidelines is difficult anyway, more so if you only ever recoup a fraction of your transfer spending in sales.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

2m Stevie May

3m Abdi 

10m Rhodes

2m Jones

4m JVA

3m Matias

And the wages for above + Boyd etc

Tens of millions down the toilet 

Where on earth did you get £2m for Stevie May from? He was just shy of a million wasn't he?

For the 723rd time, we did NOT, I repeat NOT spend £4m on JvA. That was an Owlstalk myth. Please stop repeating it.

Matias did not cost £3m did he? If I recall correctly, Joao and Matias came in a double move costing £3m.

No one will debate we haven't done the hypothetical pissíng of money up the wall, but there's just no need to lie about the above to make that point.

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

...and I've never seen fees suggested as high as those for Jones and Rhodes either.

I think Abdi's is about the only that looks reasonably accurate.

Split it how you like but between the 1 June 2015 and 31 July 2018, Wednesday agreed to pay other clubs £37.243m for player registrations. There were others smaller deals  and I may have forgotten  some but the annual amounts and major deals I can recall each year were 

15/16 £12.666m (FF, Matias, Jaoa)

16/17 £11.629m (AA, Jones, Hooper perm, Winall)

17/18 £12.948m (Rhodes perm, JVA, Pelupessy)

Edited by kobayashi

11 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Then he shouldn’t have made the promise in the first place.

He committed the cash - in fact he committed too much cash. 

It was wasted on becoming a last big pay day for a number of ageing unmotivated 2hats.

You can’t re-write history. Like it or not, we need to re-group, cut our cloth and hope the Chairman has learnt a very, very costly lesson. 

4 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

He committed the cash - in fact he committed too much cash. 

It was wasted on becoming a last big pay day for a number of ageing unmotivated 2hats.

You can’t re-write history. Like it or not, we need to re-group, cut our cloth and hope the Chairman has learnt a very, very costly lesson. 

I’m not rewriting history, I’m just highlighting where the chairman said that if ticket prices remained high, we would see a continued level of investment in the first team with the eventual goal of promotion to the Premier League.

He also said he could reduce ticket prices but the consequence of this would be the possible sale of first team players and more youth promoted to the first team squad.

Like most fans I took him on his word and voted for option A.

With hindsight he should have probably added a third option where we keep ticket prices high, don’t sell any of our players, let them go for free instead and promote more youth into the first team squad.... although I’m not sure many fans would have gone for that.

As I said, he shouldn’t make promises he can’t keep, it just p***es fans off who can barely afford to attend matches as it is and leaves them feeling short changed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Split it how you like but between the 1 June 2015 and 31 July 2018, Wednesday agreed to pay other clubs £37.243m for player registrations. There were others smaller deals  and I may have forgotten  some but the annual amounts and major deals I can recall each year were 

15/16 £12.666m (FF, Matias, Jaoa)

16/17 £11.629m (AA, Jones, Hooper perm, Winall)

17/18 £12.948m (Rhodes perm, JVA, Pelupessy)

Hooper permanently was in January 2016 I think. 

16/17 should include Reach as well. He was £4m+

47 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I’m not rewriting history, I’m just highlighting where the chairman said that if ticket prices remained high, we would see a continued level of investment in the first team with the eventual goal of promotion to the Premier League.

He also said he could reduce ticket prices but the consequence of this would be the possible sale of first team players and more youth promoted to the first team squad.

Like most fans I took him on his word and voted for option A.

With hindsight he should have probably added a third option where we keep ticket prices high, don’t sell any of our players, let them go for free instead and promote more youth into the first team squad.... although I’m not sure many fans would have gone for that.

As I said, he shouldn’t make promises he can’t keep, it just p***es fans off who can barely afford to attend matches as it is and leaves them feeling short changed.

Your own fault for believing him. 

19 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Actually, that's not accurate (sorry to be pedantic). We can spend just as much. The trick is to stop treating the club like a "family" (us fans are the cousins that get treated appallingly btw) and start running it as a football club and chuffing sell players when you can raise revenue and identify appropriate replacements. Something that in five years DC has succeeded doing once (Lucas Joao)

We'd need to buy players of the right age though. Buy players at 22-24 and sell them after a couple of years for massive profit, Only problem is DC has proven he doesn't know when to sell. After the failure to cash in on Fessi, you'd have thought he'd have made sure we got the 10-15m for Reach when he was on fire, but no...

16 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Then he shouldn’t have made the promise if he couldn’t keep it.

A reminder of what we were told....

A) Would you prefer the prices at Sheffield Wednesday across the board, for example Season Tickets, matchday tickets, official merchandise, corporate hospitality, were reduced to previous eras? The consequence of this would be the sale of key senior players, regular promotion to the first team of academy youngsters and a reduced level of investment.

Answer: Yes 29.94% No 70.06%

B) Alternatively, would you prefer the club to build on the current level of investment, maintain the pricing structure, and extend our ongoing strategy geared towards promotion to the Premier League.

Answer: Yes: 70.14%  No: 29.86%

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/owls-thank-supporters/

I think Trump, BJ and chums are proving you no longer need to do anything you said you would do!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

I didn't reply because you're pulling out irrelevant stats!   Some from 2 seasons ago ST prices and away prices!

Put the latest POTG prices for home fans from all Championship clubs, that's where the myth will be busted, in fact the myth will be smashed to smithereens!!

So the season ticket prices we charge are irrelevant?

Yes the stats are from 2 seasons ago but they show us as the 2nd most expensive. Unless you think all other clubs in the division have upped their prices to match ours this is relevant, do you have any stats to this effect?