THE EFL HEARING THREAD

22 minutes ago, CF_Owl said:

I get the point you are making but maybe that's the issue. Why would we sign players we would struggle to pay for if we got relegated knowing this is potentially hanging over our head and is a possibility. Living beyond the clubs means is why a lot of clubs are in trouble in the first place. If we go splashing cash on high end expensive championship players and then go down we have no one to blame but ourselves.

But how do we know what our means are if we don’t know our division. How can we know what we can do financially if we don’t know the division, it’s a big loss dropping into L1.

I completely agree the way the club has some things over the last 5 years financially has been ridiculous. But targets and budgets change depending on division.

A championship signing that we could afford may not be out of our budget in L1. That’s the point. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 0114 said:

But how do we know what our means are if we don’t know our division. How can we know what we can do financially if we don’t know the division, it’s a big loss dropping into L1.

I completely agree the way the club has some things over the last 5 years financially has been ridiculous. But targets and budgets change depending on division.

A championship signing that we could afford may not be out of our budget in L1. That’s the point. 

exactly this. Think I read we lose out on something like 7 million if we go down to league one. 

If we are found guilty then we will no doubt appeal. The outcome of the appeal would likely not be decided before the conclusion of the play-offs. Which means we would not be relegated but start next season on minus points. I fully expect whoever is in the bottom 3 come Wednesday evening will be playing league 1 football.

20 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Just catching up with this 

So daily mail are saying relegation avoided 

EFL are saying relegation spots are dependent upon ongoing situations

So which effin one is it? 

Not sure I’d take much notice of the daily mail, mate. On this and any other matter they report on tbh 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, wmb said:

If we are found guilty then we will no doubt appeal. The outcome of the appeal would likely not be decided before the conclusion of the play-offs. Which means we would not be relegated but start next season on minus points. I fully expect whoever is in the bottom 3 come Wednesday evening will be playing league 1 football.

Maybe they will fast track it just like they have with the current case :image:

9 minutes ago, 0114 said:

By making sensible purchases. The budget should always have a contingency for relegation, points deduction or not. You can never guarantee you won't have a poor season and go down anyway. If we sign one or two high earners we have to make sure they're saleable assets, we go down, they can be sold. Not have a team full of them, that's not hard to do. A balanced squad (financially) is important so you can be flexible without a complete overhaul needed.

1 minute ago, steelowl said:

I think football supporters  en bloc should send / register a vote of no confidence in the EFL 

I've no doubt they are incompetent. All I'd add is we can't tell yet if there incompetence is helping us or hindering us?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Think about it , the panel have not made their decision yet and when they do all clubs and the EFL can appeal , there is no way this can be applied this season as timescales will not work.

The only ones that can appeal our case are the us & the EFL. Other clubs have no right to appeal, the might try & sue the EFL of they think they didn't apply their own rules correctly.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Marc_Degryse said:

Splitting hairs a bit here but IIRC we signed Winnall relatively on the cheap, saying that we weren't prepared to pay over the odds for a striker and risk our financial stability.

About five days after that we then went and blew the farm on Rhodes 😖

I don't recall a massive outpouring of grief about getting Winnall over Rhodes at the time (though my memory is less clear on this point) as that looked like reasonable business (few £100k for an exciting young prospect), so don't see how DC can blame the fans for this mess!

I am using hindsight...that's why i'm annoyed 😉

Somebody should have just stopped him

No wonder we don't have any chief execs when he doesn't listen.

If I want to read posts from the crowd across the city I will go on their web site. I don't appreciate someone posting that crap on here.

It's pollution. Can we have Owlstalk fumigated please. I feel unclean.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

This from the supporters of the club who borrow money from the Bin Ladens. 

In fairness they need something to take their minds off the upcoming centenary of 100 years without a major trophy.

You'd have thought they’d all be busy booking their flights for next seasons Europa League.lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, prowl said:

If I want to read posts from the crowd across the city I will go on their web site. I don't appreciate someone posting that crap on here.

It's pollution. Can we have Owlstalk fumigated please. I feel unclean.

Big time agree

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Owlstalk Shop

33 minutes ago, CF_Owl said:

By making sensible purchases. The budget should always have a contingency for relegation, points deduction or not. You can never guarantee you won't have a poor season and go down anyway. If we sign one or two high earners we have to make sure they're saleable assets, we go down, they can be sold. Not have a team full of them, that's not hard to do. A balanced squad (financially) is important so you can be flexible without a complete overhaul needed.

That would be fine if we knew what division we was going to be in from the last day of the season.

But supposedly we could be relegated weeks after the season ends while the transfer market is open. So how do we conduct business while we are stuck in limbo? Regardless of if we have a contingency plan until we know what division we are categorically playing in we are left in the unknown.

Monk has spoken about it being a quick turnaround for the new season, around the second week of September. The club no matter what it’s wrong doings needs to know where we stand after Wednesday. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

exactly this. Think I read we lose out on something like 7 million if we go down to league one. 

Something around that.

We may need to sell players like Bannan, Reach and Iorfa to cover that cost for next season yet they’re all players the club would want to keep if we are playing in the Championship.

Same applies to the 3 sides relegated tomorrow night. They may start planning for L1 and be told ‘oh wait, your actually in the Championship again’ weeks after they would have made signings that they may not of made.

Such a farce for numerous clubs. 

• Like 1