THE EFL HEARING THREAD

16 minutes ago, dr. benway said:

Am I the only person reading that statement as relegation will be decided subject to the outcomes of any proceedings—i.e. no one knows the final league table until the panel has reached a verdict?

that’s exactly how I am reading it. The league table won’t be final for this season until the panels have come back with their decisions, so even at the end of play tomorrow night the bottom 3 won’t necessarily be the 3 that goes down. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

4 minutes ago, CF_Owl said:

I get the point you are making but maybe that's the issue. Why would we sign players we would struggle to pay for if we got relegated knowing this is potentially hanging over our head and is a possibility. Living beyond the clubs means is why a lot of clubs are in trouble in the first place. If we go splashing cash on high end expensive championship players and then go down we have no one to blame but ourselves.

so we don’t do any transfer business until the case is settled? Who knows how long that could be. We need to know ASAP what league we will be in so we can plan. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Howards back said:

Seems strange that any points deduction will come after the end of the season ( when ever that is ). Didn’t Birmingham’s deduction come mid season or have I got it wrong. The way I look at it we should have been told the penalty as soon as the case was over. 

That is the basically what the EFL statement eludes to..................................the case is not yet over.

• Like 1

The most annoying thing about all this is DC's attitude and approach.

Did he warn us or blame the fans for this.  'You wanted Jordan Rhodes so I went out and bought him.  And then I got Winnall for back up and then surely we'll get promoted!'

What an amateur.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Just catching up with this 

So daily mail are saying relegation avoided 

EFL are saying relegation spots are dependent upon ongoing situations

So which effin one is it? 

Well, it's the EFL's competition to govern so I'd go with what they say.

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Think about it , the panel have not made their decision yet and when they do all clubs and the EFL can appeal , there is no way this can be applied this season as timescales will not work.

1 minute ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Did he warn us or blame the fans for this.  'You wanted Jordan Rhodes so I went out and bought him.  And then I got Winnall for back up and then surely we'll get promoted!'

What an amateur.

TBF he said that when he first bought us.................................."I know nothing about football"...............or words to that effect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dr. benway said:

Well, it's the EFL's competition to govern so I'd go with what they say.

They are not saying anything, unless they expect there will be no appeals which they cant prevent. They have to give their standard response.

5 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

What an amateur.

Splitting hairs a bit here but IIRC we signed Winnall relatively on the cheap, saying that we weren't prepared to pay over the odds for a striker and risk our financial stability.

About five days after that we then went and blew the farm on Rhodes 😖

I don't recall a massive outpouring of grief about getting Winnall over Rhodes at the time (though my memory is less clear on this point) as that looked like reasonable business (few £100k for an exciting young prospect), so don't see how DC can blame the fans for this mess!

Edited by Marc_Degryse
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

What an amateur.

To be fair irrespective of the chairman’s downfalls, the EFL should’ve had this dealt with months ago so for me this situation at the minute is entirely of there making 

6 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

so we don’t do any transfer business until the case is settled? Who knows how long that could be. We need to know ASAP what league we will be in so we can plan. 

We should be able to plan and continue making signings without a decision, it's not ideal but can be done. My point was that we should never be in a position where we cannot afford a player because we drop a league as per the post I quoted. If no decision has been made then that should become part of the planning process, have contingency and don't just ignore the fact it could happen. If we go signing the high earners then we could be in trouble if we did go down. The biggest issue is that players may not want to sign as they won't know if they'll be playing for a league one or a championship club.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The EFL the press are just flying a flag ,trying to get a reaction 

There is obviously no clear cut decision either way. The verdict would have been announced by now if there was.

My best guess, is the EFL feel they know we’ve done something wrong, but can’t prove we have. I think they’re still looking for something to “nail us”, and like a dog with a bone, they won’t let it go until they do.