THE EFL HEARING THREAD

11 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

So we can only appeal if the EFL agree to an appeal !!? 

No. The Court of Arbitration for Sport is not an appeals court.

It is an arbitration Court.

They act as arbiters in a dispute if the two disputing parties agree to accept their arbitration.

If EFL refused to agree to arbitration, DC may be able to take legal action against the EFL but he couldn’t ‘take it to CAS.’

Edited by 1/10/1983
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

ha ha indeed, why would they. Doesn’t quite seem right that they have to agree to it. 

As above, the EFL would be agreeing to arbitration, not an appeal.

The reason why they may do it is because CAS is pretty cheap and gives a final outcome, whereas being threatened with legal action through the UK courts can be lengthy, messy and very expensive.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Let’s be honest if we’re found guilty , DC is taking it to CAS 

This wouldn’t be no appeal getting sorted before August, or even next August 

It can only go to CAS with permission from all parties, would the EFL agree, and can we do anything if they don't

However just a normal appeal will take a couple of months at least

So if we lose and appeal, the verdict would be early October at the earliest, in other words after the season has started

any points deduction will be for next season not this, and we might not even know what it is until after the season starts

So reading that link. We have two weeks to appeal and three weeks for the appeal to be heard so five weeks from the decision. So if the decision comes on Thursday that takes us almost to the end of August. But any decision has to be ratified by mid August. So any points deduction can not take this season or next? 
Does that mean if we get promoted next season ( big if I know) then no punishment can be implemented? That’s mental!

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

So reading that link. We have two weeks to appeal and three weeks for the appeal to be heard so five weeks from the decision. So if the decision comes on Thursday that takes us almost to the end of August. But any decision has to be ratified by mid August. So any points deduction can not take this season or next? 
Does that mean if we get promoted next season ( big if I know) then no punishment can be implemented? That’s mental!

No, the EFL now has an agreement that any points deduction can be carried into the PL to stop people doing another QPR/Leicester/Brighton/Wolves etc

Edited by Minton

4 minutes ago, Plonk said:

We have to get promoted next season you say?

25A1BA50-8B8C-4BFF-8032-872D6D6A06CB.gif.7bcd490b05897c499863631e8f48d185.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Probably doesn't work that way.

Say we appeal but even after the appeal we are found to be wrong, the I would imagine the points would be deducted immediately.   Of course, Wednesday still could get promoted with a 21 points deduction in October.

The Wigan/Administration is different, set points and a defined date to apply the deduction.

Two minutes after the end of our 2-0 win against Boro.........

”Yayyy, we’re staying up, I want the World to know-oh. Celebrate good times come on” 

10 minutes after the end of our 2-0 win over Boro - “The ****ing EFL, they’ve relegated us”

Server goes down.

404 error.

• Haha 2

Can't see any way we can now be relegated. EFL AGM in mid-August ratifies the teams for next seasons leagues I believe.

Also if we can legally argue any points deduction can't be carried into another season then I reckon the EFL might end up time barred on their own charges and effectively it's thrown out.

32 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

So we can only appeal if the EFL agree to an appeal !!? 

No we have the right to appeal but it doesn't go to CAS which we could try to go to if the appeal failed but would then need the EFL's agreement.

11 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Can't see any way we can now be relegated. EFL AGM in mid-August ratifies the teams for next seasons leagues I believe.

Also if we can legally argue any points deduction can't be carried into another season then I reckon the EFL might end up time barred on their own charges and effectively it's thrown out.

how long you been an owl ? :ph34r:Never underestimate how impossible things can happen to our club 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I am using hindsight...that's why i'm annoyed 😉

Somebody should have just stopped him

No wonder we don't have any chief execs when he doesn't listen.

Well basically with hindsight they both turned out to be sh!t, though I can't help but feel that Winnall's Wednesday career could've gone a lot better if we didn't have a £9m white elephant ahead of him in the pecking order.

I don't know what goes through chairman's heads sometimes before TDD. If you watch the Sunderland documentary on Netflix, after they sold Maja and were trying to get Will Grigg the then manager Jack Ross says pointedly to the chairman "don't pay more than £1m for him, he's simply not worth it". The end result? They spunked £4m on him and he's doing a very passable Rhodes impersonation!

DC arrived at the right conclusion, then panicked/got carried away and made arguably the worst Wednesday transfer decision of all time. Di Canio to West Ham or offering Cantona a trial running it close I suppose.