BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

The only precedent i can think of was they started the 39-40 season but cancelled it because of the war even that season was only a few games old going to be very interesting what they decide

58 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Just said to my misses that at least I wont be grumpy for the next 3 weeks

Potentially good news for us as gives more time for the charge to be resolved and players like Reach and Luongo to come back from injury 

On the downside the arbitration panel and the independent panel probably won't sit. Any penalty will probably be applied next year.

On the upside player contracts still expire at the end of June so next year we might have some players who give a flying fu.....

If this season is abandoned, it never really existed right?

Therefore we can’t be penalised for wrong doings that gave us an unfair advantage in a competition that didn’t exist.

Starting Coronavirus in Wuhan though, it was a bit drastic Mr C.

To be honest I considered this season finished weeks ago.

Roll on the cricket and fishing seasons. 

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

If this season is abandoned, it never really existed right?

Therefore we can’t be penalised for wrong doings that gave us an unfair advantage in a competition that didn’t exist.

Starting Coronavirus in Wuhan though, it was a bit drastic Mr C.

To be honest I considered this season finished weeks ago.

Roll on the cricket and fishing seasons. 

Gudgeon and dace are susceptible to coronovirus so you're fecked. :duntmatter:

• Haha 2

Peak Covid-19 in the UK will likely be June

We wont have playing squads able to fulfil fixtures.

This season is written off trust me.  I dont think the German idea works - I think you start from scratch again whenever we can, same teams in same leagues as started this season.

'Sirens won't stop in April' - Henry Winter, Chief Football Writer for the Times

There are some clubs that will have serious problems. This idea that on 3 April the sirens stop and we go back and play football again is just naive. 

What the medical advisers are saying is this is a long period - possibly 12-14 weeks. The date of 3 April has just been come up with and then they will think again. 

I wouldn't be surprised if English football is playing in June. Obviously the Euros would have to be put back a year, then it's just a question of the sporting integrity of football as to when league programmes are finished. 

Take for example West Bromwich Albion. They are fighting to get back in the Premier League. If West Brom go up, that's worth a minimum of £20m in television money alone. 

The Premier League and EFL need to show leadership - which they should've done earlier in the week - to go through and work out how they can reach a conclusion to the season, but the obvious casualty of that is Euro 2020.