BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

5 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Your statement is a bit confusing. Nobody choses to get the virus. Are we supposed to wait to catch it? 

That's  a genuine question. I'm in the vulnerable category so would be interested to know what I should do. 

Are you a real doctor? 

My point was that no advice has been given about what to do if you contract the symptoms other than self isolating to relieve whatever you might be feeling. 

I said “needlessly contracts”, not chooses. Of course no one chooses, but by being in crowds you increase your potential for exposure. 

If you start exhibiting symptoms you should contact your doctor and self-isolate. They’ll advise you. 

I’m not a medical doctor. This is general advice from the WHO. 

10 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Your statement is a bit confusing. Nobody choses to get the virus. Are we supposed to wait to catch it? 

That's  a genuine question. I'm in the vulnerable category so would be interested to know what I should do. 

Are you a real doctor? 

My point was that no advice has been given about what to do if you contract the symptoms other than self isolating to relieve whatever you might be feeling. 

There are OFFICIAL medical advice outlets, including the NHS and government websites. A niche football fan's forum (or any form of social media) is absolutely NOT the place to receive medical advice. 

What will happen with TV deals? - Simon Stone, BBC Sport

The big unknown is how the broadcasters react to this situation.

BBC, BT, Premier Sports and Sky pay huge amounts of money to screen football.

The latter three use football to drive their subscriptions. If there is no football, what happens to the subscription numbers and then, their ability to pay the contracts.

As with so many things, the length of time this shut down goes on for will determine what happens next.

2 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

There are OFFICIAL medical advice outlets, including the NHS and government websites. A niche football fan's forum (or any form of social media) is absolutely NOT the place to receive medical advice. 

Not to mention that knowledge, information and advice is constantly changing... if you have any questions refer to the official advice outlets or your doctor - don't rely on anonymous people on football forums or social media for information that may be incorrect or outdated.

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

This is complete lunacy , you have a 95% higher chance of catching on public transport or doing local shop. There is no way there be football april 4th onwards zero. Everything these days is covered in cotton wool , season is over , is that good 4us? Whatabout leeds? They cant go up now surely? Season would have to restart in aug .

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The more this Coronavirus goes on, the more ridiculous your beliefs about it will show.

this suspension is as much about the viability of games being played as protecting the fans. If on member of the squad or stead gets it, every member of the squad and staff is at higher risk. Can a team who should be isolating be expected to field as team still. The only option is suspension, the risks to those involved at each club would be just as high if behind closed doors.

• Like 1

I’m sure someone else will have done the maths but on current calculations, using a worse case scenario of 80% of the UK catching coronavirus, using the UK population figure from 2018 of 66,500,000, and a death rate of 1%, just over half a million people in the UK are going to pop their clogs.

On the same basis, 1% of Owlstalkers are likely to croak it.

The only question is who will start the official Owls Talkers RIP thread?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, DeeJayOne said:

Not to mention that knowledge, information and advice is constantly changing... if you have any questions refer to the official advice outlets or your doctor - don't rely on anonymous people on football forums or social media for information that may be incorrect or outdated.

Is this advice still in date?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, dr. benway said:

Neil is right, this is not about preventing you from getting it, it’s about preventing you from getting it right now (and for as long as possible). 

Every person that unnecessarily contracts the virus in the coming weeks could very well be contributing to potential avoidable deaths. 

Are you a real quack, or a fake one like Dr Who? 

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Was this planned at last night's cosy meeting with Chansiri?

Gives us time to get a few back from injury, but still not long enough to teach some of our silly boys how to tackle and contain play better. Hopefully we can regroup after this.

On the bigger picture, 300K to 650K people die every year from flu, despite all the vaccines out there, yet so far less than 5K have died from Cor-19. How are these precautions going to protect the vulnerable ones? People are still going to be wandering around with the virus after the 4th of April, so what's the point? We can still catch it and pass it on to each other after this point, so it all just gets drawn out and the likelihood of catching it and passing it to somebody who is vulnerable increases, unless the vulnerable ones lock themselves away for a year!

Was this planned?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

I’m sure someone else will have done the maths but on current calculations, using a worse case scenario of 80% of the UK catching coronavirus, using the UK population figure from 2018 of 66,500,000, and a death rate of 1%, just over half a million people in the UK are going to pop their clogs.

On the same basis, 1% of Owlstalkers are likely to croak it.

The only question is who will start the official Owls Talkers RIP thread?

unfortunately i'm prob toast if i get it  been nice knowing you all  :unsure:

Just now, steelowl said:

unfortunately i'm prob toast if i get it  been nice knowing you all  :unsure:

I’ve just got the all clear from a cancer scare. Would be just my luck to croak it too after avoiding cancer.

But at least my knee op went well, so it’s not all bad news.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The idea is to smooth out the curve of people getting it, giving the NHS more time to get more beds available etc 

I understand that and if we had done all this straight away we could have avoided the surges of extra strain on the NHS, but since we have taken the very relaxed approach up to now, I would suggest that the damage is already done. Rather than locking everything down as they have in say Italy, or being much more ultra cautious as they have in many other countries, there are now an unknown quantity of people walking around carrying the virus in the UK who are totally unaware that they have it. The incubation period is 4.5 to 15.6 according to data already collected, so people who have it now may not have any symptoms for another couple of weeks, during which time they have still been walking around with it and during which time other people could have caught it without knowing and with the same incubation period of 4.5 to 15.6 days this can go on for months and months before the vulnerable people can finally come out of hiding.