BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Peak Covid-19 in the UK will likely be June

We wont have playing squads able to fulfil fixtures.

This season is written off trust me.  I dont think the German idea works - I think you start from scratch again whenever we can, same teams in same leagues as started this season.

Where does this prediction originate from?

It's not consistent with figures from China and the numbers rose far more exponentially in Italy and Iran.

I am thinking 4 -6 weeks for peak infection then a gradual reduction.

"This suspension does not apply to Joey Pelupessy, of Sheffield Wednesday FC, who has already demonstrated he can be invisible on the pitch." lol

Sorry, Joey, just had to :P

On a serious note, will they just finish the seasons after a set number of games and draw a line and conclude promotions and relegations based on that? Or will they make the season last longer. Doubt there's any European Championship they need to consider any longer, so if a season drags on for another 3-4 weeks longer than before, probably few consequences?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the season is played well into the summer and the authorities use it as a chance to reschedule the football calendar to accommodate the Qatar World Cup that's planned for November/December 2022.

The players contracts expire 30/6. It would be impossible to complete the season if this ban lasts beyond the end of April.

It's going to get abandoned.

2 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Take for example West Bromwich Albion. They are fighting to get back in the Premier League. If West Brom go up, that's worth a minimum of £20m in television money alone. 

Wow, the deaths of millions of people pale into insignificance compared to this tragic news!

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Peak Covid-19 in the UK will likely be June

We wont have playing squads able to fulfil fixtures.

This season is written off trust me.  I dont think the German idea works - I think you start from scratch again whenever we can, same teams in same leagues as started this season.

One thing is Liverpool missing out on the PL title... but imagine L$%ds who finally make the autos and still cannot achieve promotion :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

Just now, N0rtherner said:

Have you been tested for corona? lol

Yes, I voulntary went for the test after returning from China on January 18th. They didn't seem a deal bothered at the time. But heyho, I am still around and showing no signs of imminent death.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Wonder what will happen with regards the point deduction. Will the EFL use this time without games to sort it and us out. 

If so i doubt they would be able to hit us with a high points deduction this season, unless it means we still stay up (wishful thinking).

14 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

"This suspension does not apply to Joey Pelupessy, of Sheffield Wednesday FC, who has already demonstrated he can be invisible on the pitch." lol

Sorry, Joey, just had to :P

On a serious note, will they just finish the seasons after a set number of games and draw a line and conclude promotions and relegations based on that? Or will they make the season last longer. Doubt there's any European Championship they need to consider any longer, so if a season drags on for another 3-4 weeks longer than before, probably few consequences?

Poor Joey! This was the first topic he could "enjoy" on owlstalk and you have gone and put that on here. 

• Haha 1

This is complete lunacy , you have a 95% higher chance of catching on public transport or doing local shop. There is no way there be football april 4th onwards zero. Everything these days is covered in cotton wool , season is over , is that good 4us? Whatabout leeds? They cant go up now surely? Season would have to restart in aug .

'I don't see matches being played until after virus peak' - Simon Stone, BBC Sport

In theory, matches could be played this weekend. It is the clubs who have made the decision today – the government said yesterday matches could continue for now. No-one, certainly not me, knows how long the current situation will last for. I don’t see matches being played until the coronavirus problem has passed its peak point, which the medical experts said yesterday could be between 10 and 14 weeks.

32 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Can’t see how clubs can mount a legal challenge if the season is cancelled, particularly if the Government changes their stance on sporting events. 

It’s a national pandemic with public health at risk. It outweighs any sporting challenge IMO. 

By definition a pandemic is worldwide. Just saying.