BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

53 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Statement from the EFL: "The FA, Premier League, EFL and Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until 3 April at the earliest. 

"This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of Clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the COVID-19 virus. 

"The postponements include all matches in the Championship, League One and League Two, as well as all Academy and youth team fixtures. 

"In addition, clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings. 

"Whilst the EFL Board has continued to take the advice and guidance offered by the Government and its health advisors, emerging developments mean now is the time to implement football’s contingency plans in response to the crisis. 

"A further update on these plans will be given post an EFL Board Meeting next week. 

"This decision has not been taken lightly, but the EFL must prioritise the health and well-being of players, staff and supporters while also acknowledging the Government’s national efforts in tackling this outbreak."

Common sense prevails.....finally. 

Parties admit resuming matches in early April almost impossible - Dan Roan, BBC Sport  

These are deeply turbulent times in English football - and across world sport of course - which is having to face up to a period of disruption and dislocation unprecedented in peacetime. 

Privately, all parties admit that resuming matches in early April - when the initial suspension will be reviewed - will be almost impossible. 

But the hope is that next week a decision is taken to postpone Euro2020 for a year, thereby freeing up space in the calendar to re-schedule outstanding matches and complete domestic league seasons across the continent at some stage.

Surely the season has to be cancelled, it won't be able to start for two or three months if what the experts are seeing are true.

Cant see the rest of the season starting at the of June and lasting until mid September.

The players will then want a break, no holidays for them during this enforced beak, and with the Euros being played next year, next season cant be extended.

So the choice could be to either abandon the last two and a half months of the season, or completely mess up next season

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

What the fizz are we all going to do for the coming weekends!?! I bet I’m going to have to spend time with the wife and kids ffs. 

I was thinking that. Will all public gatherings eventually be banned? Trips to the seaside? Shopping? Where does this stop?

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

think I would be okay them just saying the current positions are final. Yes I don’t really want Liverpool to win the league etc but if it means Wednesday stayed up that the most important for me. Although the relegated teams wouldn’t be happy with this. God knows what will happen. 

Wont just be the relegated teams, what about the ones in the play off places who won't have a chance of going up, and the ones just outside the playoff places who wont have a chance of going up.

if they are going to abandon the season it will be removed from the records and next year will start with the same teams in each league as this season did

Does pose a problem with what will happen to Burys place though

'There is a determination to complete the season' - Dan Roan, BBC Sports editor

This action goes against the government’s highly controversial advice to continue staging sports events despite mass gatherings being closed or cancelled across the world. 

But, DCMS officials are known to be supportive of the decision football authorities have taken given the need to protect employees, and the mounting cases of players contracting the virus. 

The problem is that the outbreak is expected to be at its peak in May and June so if the suspension keeps on being extended, some clubs may start to push for the season to be declared void, a nightmare scenario for clubs like Liverpool and Leeds Utd, who both stand on the brink of long-awaited glory. 

But as it stands, there seems to be a determination to complete the season if at all possible.

EFL to ask government for financial help - Dan Roan, BBC Sports Editor

Simply stopping the season as it stands now seems unlikely given it would run the risk of legal action from clubs relegated or denied promotion. 

The EFL are now expected to ask the government for financial help for some of the clubs who now face even more financial uncertainty but there is no guarantee that this will be possible in these extraordinary times.

'Clubs could run out of money' - BBC Radio 5 Live

Peter Coates, Stoke City chairman, speaking to BBC 5 Live about the suspension of matches: "I’m disappointed but there was a kind of inevitability about it.

"I felt the government and the medical advisers had been doing a really good job and handling the crisis well, and my view was to take the medical and scientific advice.

"The way players have gone down and how things have escalated, we have got to a point where we had little choice.

"I don’t think the financial implications will hit the Premier League hard because their income comes from media and broadcasting, so they have a cushion against this.

"For the rest of football, it’s quite different as they rely on gate receipts and commercial activities, with a very small part coming from the media.

"This will have serious financial implications, with some clubs possibly running out of money."

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Good point

Actually if you start thinking about it in more depth than I did by just looking at the casual staff etc it is actually a huge huge problem for many people from pubs to casual staff to hot dog vans and then more further down the chain

Yep it will have very wide repercussions such as the coach company who we use for each game.   

And the Working Men's Club we meet in before the game, we must sink nearly a couple of hundred pints between us before setting off.