BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

Just now, Justbeanz said:

Massive knock on for local businesses too. Nightmare for local pubs and food outlets that rely on football fans. Really feel for them.

Good point

Actually if you start thinking about it in more depth than I did by just looking at the casual staff etc it is actually a huge huge problem for many people from pubs to casual staff to hot dog vans and then more further down the chain

Owlstalk Shop

There won’t be any legal action by any club. It is what it is, a massive black Swan event that has no precedent.

as has been noted, the key now is to try and help clubs and the supply chain survive a very hard economic impact. 

re neils comments on pubs etc. For as long as they stay open, go and support your local pub and shops . 

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

Just said now on five live the football season could be abandoned bcz April is predicted to be worse.

In my inexpert opinion, there are only three scenarios.

1) play through it.

2) abandon the season.
3) have a pools panel, determining the likely outstanding results.

2 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

On what basis could any legal action be successful?

Surely it can’t. 

They can threaten - but I can’t see it.

None - who can blame be aimed at.

A pangolin seller in Wuhan?

This is done for safety reasons, not a vindictive act.

9 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

For those commenting re Liverpool, Leeds etc.  Almost certainly their achievements will be not recognised - the season will be effectively cancelled.

Big financial issues coming as a result. 

I don’t think they’ll do that. There’d rightly be uproar.

They’ll find a way to finish the season. The ramifications of abandoning it would be massive.

Play the games into the summer and postpone the Euros til next year.

Or finish it in August / September and have some kind of slightly truncated competition next year to get things back in sync.

Both far preferable to a total abandonment (as much as I’d love that)

This is good for us, you’d think.

We’ve been on a dire run and we needed something to change. Be it the manager, the tactics, the attitude of the players, or maybe all three.

Now we get minimum 3 weeks to forget about games and sort ourselves out for the run-in (if it happens!)

What about finishing this season next season and then having a Premier League lite? Split all divisions into 4 like the NFL does and have 20 matches instead of 38? It's the only way really. Winners of each group go to a playoffs system and be crowned champions. Bottom teams do the same but losers are relegated? 

Can’t see season being completed, the peak is forecast being early June maybe later so there will not be enough time after that the peak is over to fit this seasons fixtures before next season is due to start . Do they cancel the season and start again next season or do they work out a way to decide titles, promotion, relegation and European places. As much as people would love to see Liverpool denied the title they undoubtedly deserve it and for me they should be awarded it come what may. Every other issue is up in the air so would lead to chaos no matter what they did.massive decisions still to be made just hope we don’t get shafted by it 

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

There won’t be any legal action by any club. It is what it is, a massive black Swan event that has no precedent.

as has been noted, the key now is to try and help clubs and the supply chain survive a very hard economic impact. 

re neils comments on pubs etc. For as long as they stay open, go and support your local pub and shops . 

Aren't pubs and shops where the Govt experts have said fans will go instead and be at greater risk than at the actual big stadium events? Thought that was the rationale to keep things going.