Getting the best out of Rhodes

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

No, I didn’t hear it, I was at the game, but now you’ve explained the scenario, I can see the logic in that That’s why it’s so important that you can have players like Forestieri and Joao, who can stretch the opposition in that situation. Which is why I’m a little disappointed that we let Joao go, without bringing in a similar replacement

If Jaoa stayed his gametime was likely limited to the righthand side of a front three. Saying we didn't replace him, whilst bringing in a player who excels as the righthand side player of a front three is a little but strange. As @Holmowl has stated Murphy in playing that position or right wing has got an impeccable record of 47 games, 21 goals or assists. That seems like not just a replacement but an upgrade??

5 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

If Jaoa stayed his gametime was likely limited to the righthand side of a front three. Saying we didn't replace him, whilst bringing in a player who excels as the righthand side player of a front three is a little but strange. As @Holmowl has stated Murphy in playing that position or right wing has got an impeccable record of 47 games, 21 goals or assists. That seems like not just a replacement but an upgrade??

Its Joao!!!

Fletcher in box seat in a 4-3-3 at the minute. Holds ball up well but could have a much better chances : goals ratio imo.

Rhodes simply needs to take his chance when his opportunity comes along. As long as the next manager picks on form and performance he should get the same opportunity as others.

Pacy wingers in Murphy and Harris should present chances for whoever plays up top you’d hope.

In the modern game you need to be flexible 433 seems to work best for us but if it's not working Rhodes on the bench gives us the option of going with 2 up front. It will be a case of finding out how to get the best out of all the players. Many new faces so it might take a while until we click.

I can't see us bringing in the new players yet, expect pretty much the same team as last week as far as we can and maybe a couple of new ones on the bench.

I'd like to stuff Barnsley to build some momentum.

Modern footballers need two or three strings to their bow and unfortunately JR only really has one, finnishing. Except, when he did play, he couldn't hit a barn door. 

Struggle to see how he fits in other than as an "impact sub" and considering the financial position we are in, it's very poor return on investment if he does play that role.

2 minutes ago, owls101 said:

Modern footballers need two or three strings to their bow and unfortunately JR only really has one, finnishing. Except, when he did play, he couldn't hit a barn door. 

Struggle to see how he fits in other than as an "impact sub" and considering the financial position we are in, it's very poor return on investment if he does play that role.

If he gets a few this season in whatever role to get us up there then you'll be singing his name like the the rest of us.

Jordan Rhodes, he scores, Jordan Rhodes....

Oh Oh Jordan Rhodes!!

48 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No, I didn’t hear it, I was at the game, but now you’ve explained the scenario, I can see the logic in that That’s why it’s so important that you can have players like Forestieri and Joao, who can stretch the opposition in that situation. Which is why I’m a little disappointed that we let Joao go, without bringing in a similar replacement

Murphy was brought to stretch the game and effectively replace Joao. Not the same goal threat I know.

Bit gutted we lost Joao to be honest. I haven't been his biggest fan when he starts a game. But we really have no other player that gives what he gives from the bench. A proper impact player.

i would like nothing more than our record signing to hit 20+ goals next season, prove to us he was worth it and shut the grunters up who love to slate him. I just can't see it happening, I don't buy the give him service and he'll score line, he had good chances when he first signed and missed them, I fear (hopefully not) that he's one of those players who had talent but its gone and cannot be brought back. 

If we now have 2 wide players with pace who can beat their full backs, they don't have to cross the ball in the air but drive into the box with the ball. Play Fessi up with them drifting in and out of the box and how would the opposition mark us up with two lumbering carthorse center halves? This is basically how Man City play with Aguero and two fast wide men with the wide player who isn't on the ball arriving at the back post.

Sorry not really read this thread but Rhodes & Fletcher should be the main men to compete for the central striker roll with Lee or Luongo supporting behind. Like this.. Obviously there’ll be people saying what about Fletcher, Forestieri, Reach, Luongo, Palmer and Borner? But the below is just an example. It’s now up to all the players to perform and keep the shirt 

Rhodes 

Harris   Lee   Murphy 

Bannan   Hutch.

Odubajo  Bates  Lees  Iorfa

Westwood 

Rhodes and Winnall playing together showed some signs of a decent partnership. It would not surprise me to see that resurrected at some point this season. We all know Fletch will be injured at some point, we have to get our other strikers match fit and sharp as a razor.

10 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Sorry not really read this thread but Rhodes & Fletcher should be the main men to compete for the central striker roll with Lee or Luongo supporting behind. Like this.. Obviously there’ll be people saying what about Fletcher, Forestieri, Reach, Luongo, Palmer and Borner? But the below is just an example. It’s now up to all the players to perform and keep the shirt 

Rhodes 

Harris   Lee   Murphy 

Bannan   Hutch.

Westwood 

Agree with this, whether it becomes 433 or 4231 it’s the best way to fit in all the midfield & creative players we have now.

As you say it’s down to the players to determine who gets in the starting eleven.  

I’d stay 433, Steven Fletcher is going to be the main focal point of the team this year. Once we stopped playing the continental way of passing around your defence and using Fletcher’s ability of being a top target man, it was easy to see how much our game changes. There will

be times we have to play 442 and I think that will suit Rhodes, we saw in pre season how well he did with the wingers we now have.

I’m just so much more happier with the balance of our squad. When Rhodes first joined I think our biggest problem was we had too many strikers and Carlos couldn’t really keep the same 2. Rhodes wouldn’t score 1 game, dropped. Winnall wouldn’t score, dropped. On top of that the 2 he liked was Fletcher and Hooper who both struggled with injuries but never seemed to find a cohesive 2 that he could stick with. 

34 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Rhodes 

Harris   Lee   Murphy 

Bannan   Hutch.

Westwood 

Think playing two quick out and out wingers, not known for their tracking back, we probably need to play our best full backs After all, there’s no way any of the full backs will be overlapping those wingers