Moving ground

3 hours ago, fpowl said:

Even if you updated the facilities we’ve got you couldn’t update it to what it needs and it’s still in Hillsborough 

this comes with even more problems 

too residential 

poor parking 

no accommodation 

terrible transport links 

we should be going to Sheffield council for a huge grant to add value to the city

we are one of the sporting cities of England 

a stadium should boast state of the art facilities for athletes I’m not talking about running tracks in the ground but our training ground needs to be massively improved we should build a complex like Man City did 

and be a leading sport facility the conference and events should be able to facilitate concerts and boxing plus corporate and hospitality for over 4,000

Transport and accommodation is also key 

it needs a huge amount of land 

but that would improve Sheffield and catapult us up the list in bringing business into the region 

I’m 100 confident the right pitch would bring investment from the council to how much go knows but it will attract huge business abs events that will boost our economy and add serious benefits and value to what the city lacks and needs 

location Christ knows 

I’d have said somewhere off the park way but that looks mostly developed now 

Yes Aye, A little warm and dusty but I'm sure we could divert  a Tributary of flowing water from the Hoover Dam to a flat area North of Las Vegas. Hotels are cheap and first class with superb links by Road and Air. Light and scheduled flights available.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not 100% anti moving if it's practical, move s the club forward and we get a stadium with some character.

Some practical challenges, where would we move to? There aren't many sites around the city that make much sense and won't mean we end up completely disconnected to the city or our roots.

May be somewhere near Parkwood, but the sites won't be good bc of the previous uses. Weedon St near Meadowhall maybe, but it would take some reworking of the infrastructure.

A rebuild is a possibility but it's never cheap to rebuild compared to a new build.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Anybody that calls Hillsborough ‘old girl’ or ‘old lady’ should be dragged on the pitch at half time on Monday - and fired at with water cannons and fireworks.

100%.......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ohgoditsjames said:

I would never want to move, but we seriously need to do something about not being able to utilise our full capacity. However I’m not sure what we can do since it seems to be do with concourse space?

It’s rammed to hell with any more than about 25k there 

Much as I love Hillsborough and the memories, we need to move, its forever tainted by the disaster, parkings a mare and any refit would be hampered by its location.With rising water levels the next floods only a matter of time.

We need an upgrade in facilities outside town, pref north sheffield with far better training facilities and a decent playing surface, I dont mind sentiment, but in sport if you stand still and fail to improve on every level at every given opportunity, you get left behind.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MKK said:

There's tonnes.of space around the stadium to develop the facilities.

You just need some vision.

Exactly. Take the Kop as an example. It's basically built on a soil banking. There is so much land to work with there. Rip it down, clear the banking out and end up with a massive plot on which to build a new stand with plenty of space under it for hospitality, restaurants, retail to generate income, and a great match day experience. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MKK said:

There's tonnes.of space around the stadium to develop the facilities.

You just need some vision.

This

It baffles me when people say their is no room

With vision and imagination architecture  and design can do amazing things these days

It doesn’t want a patch up it needs a proper plan

Ok parking may always be a problem 

Imagination and architecture gets you a stand like the North which is a thing of beauty , around 60 years old and still , in my opinion, one of the best stands in the country

13 hours ago, TC4EVER said:

It’s been said on here many times about moving to a new stadium,but after having days like yesterday why.Ok the facility’s are perhaps not as good as they could be ,but my god you don’t much better than yesterday’s atmosphere & there’s still 1 more to come.It’s as good as any ground in the country when full.

It would cost a fortune in itself to relocate, I would happily stay there till the end of time 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TC4EVER said:

It’s as good as any ground in the country when full.

It really isn’t though. I totally admire your loyalty and positive Wednesday bias but we’ve fallen miles behind when it comes to stadiums.

Appart from the obvious like the new Spurs stadium, Anfield, Ethiad, Newcastle, Hillsboro doesn’t compare with the likes of Sunderland, Stoke, Leicester, Southampton. 
Of the older stadium we’ve fallen behind the likes of Villa Park, Goodson and Elland Road. 

Guest Mcguigan
12 hours ago, GermanBird said:

Please don't !!! We could have sold more tickets yesterday and we will need a bigger stadium, if we continue to play this well!

Yes we probably could have sold more tickets yesterday but this occurs at most clubs for one off important fixtures. 

We were playing some great football in 16/17 with some of most talented players and squad size we’d had for 15 years and we still had 5,000 spare home seats.

Someone posted the other day that outside of the pigs games we’ve only 14 attendances of over 30k in 21 years.

The last thing we need is a bigger stadium or increase in capacity, it would just never get filled.

7 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Yes we probably could have sold more tickets yesterday but this occurs at most clubs for one off important fixtures. 

We were playing some great football in 16/17 with some of most talented players and squad size we’d had for 15 years and we still had 5,000 spare home seats.

Someone posted the other day that outside of the pigs games we’ve only 14 attendances of over 30k in 21 years.

The last thing we need is a bigger stadium or increase in capacity, it would just never get filled.

I agree with you that it would be stupid to increase the capacity right now (let's wait till we are back in the PL)

However, I don't believe that 35.000 is too big for us. The capacity is there. Why do people want to reduce the capacity?

Liverpool and Man U could probably sell an extra ten k tickets most games 

they didn’t build 80k seater stadiums

our ground, is too big for us… unless we can push on very fast and become an established PL side like a villa or Everton with only occasional slumps to the championship 

and even then…. 

a nice, new, modern, 30k stadium near town is what’s needed and only blue tinted specs would stop anyone seeing that

• Like 2

A lot of blue and white tinted specs here.

I enjoyed the game, Hillsborough is historic and ours, the atmosphere was good, I’ve got 35 years of memories of the place, but the fact still remains that it is ancient and its maintenance is hugely expensive. Our training facilities are substandard too.

Hillsborough is iconic and beautiful in its own way but it has poor facilities, poor access into the stadium, the legroom is awful for tall folk like me, part of it even failed safety certification, it’s on a flood plain, it will forever be linked to the disaster, it is literally crumbling in areas, and I’m afraid it is just a fact that if we ever have ambitions of being a big club again and getting and staying in the top flight then we need huge improvements to our infrastructure.

Three of the stands are not fit for purpose and the neglect of several regimes running the club have left us in this position. Ironically Chansiri has probably done more for the club and it’s facilities than most. 

There’s no place for sentiment in football. You don’t keep old players that are past their best because they are ours.

Why should it be the same for the stadium?

The cost is going to be prohibitive in the short term but something does need to be done at some point. If the option and finance is ever there the club need to move or redevelop. Redevelopment would almost certainly be hugely more costly than a new ground though.

Wednesday’s playing and coaching staff and us the fans deserve better than what we have. That’s my view 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

A lot of blue and white tinted specs here.

I enjoyed the game, Hillsborough is historic and ours, the atmosphere was good, I’ve got 35 years of memories of the place, but the fact still remains that it is ancient and its maintenance is hugely expensive. Our training facilities are substandard too.

Hillsborough is iconic and beautiful in its own way but it has poor facilities, poor access into the stadium, the legroom is awful for tall folk like me, part of it even failed safety certification, it’s on a flood plain, it will forever be linked to the disaster, it is literally crumbling in areas, and I’m afraid it is just a fact that if we ever have ambitions of being a big club again and getting and staying in the top flight then we need huge improvements to our infrastructure.

Three of the stands are not fit for purpose and the neglect of several regimes running the club have left us in this position. Ironically Chansiri has probably done more for the club and it’s facilities than most. 

There’s no place for sentiment in football. You don’t keep old players that are past their best because they are ours.

Why should it be the same for the stadium?

The cost is going to be prohibitive in the short term but something does need to be done at some point. If the option and finance is ever there the club need to move or redevelop. Redevelopment would almost certainly be hugely more costly than a new ground though.

Wednesday’s playing and coaching staff and us the fans deserve better than what we have. That’s my view 

I’m inclined to agree with this. As the years roll by the ground will increasingly hold us back from a commercial perspective and with capturing a new generation of supporters. If we can get the new stadium right, in the way Spurs have, then I reckon misgivings about a new ground would disappear very quickly. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

A unimaginative soulless ball.  Just so you can buy a overpriced unimaginative soulless jumbo sausage.

Ah because the foods ******** outstanding at Hillsborough and is priced brilliantly. 

15 hours ago, GermanBird said:

I personally would prefer, if the supertram would run more frequently before and after the game to be a good option to bring everybody to the station or their cars, which would be parked conveniently at Park&Ride places outside.

There is nothing wrong with the tram, but it currently doesn't have the capacity to be a proper alternative to walking or taking the car, has it?

I said this in another thread. 

How many people see the tram as a free ride. I’m sure stagecoach would love to take extra £1000s in revenue every week, but as it is they’re getting ripped off. 

Transport to the ground is excellent.