Moving ground

I have my Wednesdays tinted glasses on - guilty as charged. Does the ground need improving- absolutely no one can argue with that. There will always be opposite views on moving. There are arguments for both. I wouldn’t want to move but then I live in a drafty old Victorian house with sash windows and a piece of cardboard up the chimney to keep the drafts out. Do I think about a new build with triple glazing and insulation with lower bills. Absolutely but I still prefer the  character of mine. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thing is we only get the occasional big attendance especially for a play off. Most of the time it is just about a 21000 average which is not viable for a 39000 capacity stadium. Been going to Hillsborough since early 60's and have only been in a 30000+ average season on 3 occasions and 2 were in consecutive seasons when we got o Wembley in 1966. I think it's time we bit the bullet and went for a new state of the art stadium with maybe a 33000 capacity similar to Derby. Need to look to the future and forget sentiment. So many memories but times change.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fpowl said:

Iove our old girl 

and Christ it’s unbelievable full a rocking when it’s like that and holds such a place in footballs history our clubs history abs he English game 

but unfortunately she’s expensive to run and holds us back commercially and into days world she holds us back 

it’s a tragic thing to say because I’d much rather us play there but we still need to move it will be horrible when we eventually have to go 

be like putting your dog down it will kill us to leave emotionally but our hee puppy will full the void and we will love her differently but in time to live her equally and we are lucky ones that can pass on to our kids and gran kids and tell them what it was like to be at Hillsborough 

just like when it used to be wooden seats 

standing only 

no roof on 

we pass on our history 

Why is it expensive to run ?

I'd say the opposite, s0d all has been spent on it for years 

Why are folk inventing problems? We've just had near 34,000 attend the last game without any hiccups. If I wanted some refreshments, I could have gotten some. Who had problems with transport? The majority live in Sheffield or surrounding, don't they? Its no harder to get in and out of than almost all stadiums when those numbers attend. Why is it more expensive to run than a flat pack on the outskirts? In 10 year that flat pack would need work too. The facilities would need to be improved if we ever get back to the top flight but that is more than doable if there is a will. 

The ones who want to move from Hillsborough, one of the best football stadiums in the country and therefore the world, I just don't get it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Thing is we only get the occasional big attendance especially for a play off. Most of the time it is just about a 21000 average which is not viable for a 39000 capacity stadium. Been going to Hillsborough since early 60's and have only been in a 30000+ average season on 3 occasions and 2 were in consecutive seasons when we got o Wembley in 1966. I think it's time we bit the bullet and went for a new state of the art stadium with maybe a 33000 capacity similar to Derby. Need to look to the future and forget sentiment. So many memories but times change.

Our current capacity is less than 35.000. We "sold out" with just 33.394 fans against Pompey

The capacity on the "home stands" is less than 30.000

image.png.d26357a49866a9fbe5f261758257a82b.png

10 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Our current capacity is less than 35.000. We "sold out" with just 33.394 fans against Pompey

The capacity on the "home stands" is less than 30.000

image.png.d26357a49866a9fbe5f261758257a82b.png

That’s with around 3600 seats unavailable for sale. There are around 38,400 seats in that ground. 

Guest FoxOwl12
16 hours ago, fpowl said:

Even if you updated the facilities we’ve got you couldn’t update it to what it needs and it’s still in Hillsborough 

this comes with even more problems 

too residential 

poor parking 

no accommodation 

terrible transport links 

we should be going to Sheffield council for a huge grant to add value to the city

we are one of the sporting cities of England 

a stadium should boast state of the art facilities for athletes I’m not talking about running tracks in the ground but our training ground needs to be massively improved we should build a complex like Man City did 

and be a leading sport facility the conference and events should be able to facilitate concerts and boxing plus corporate and hospitality for over 4,000

Transport and accommodation is also key 

it needs a huge amount of land 

but that would improve Sheffield and catapult us up the list in bringing business into the region 

I’m 100 confident the right pitch would bring investment from the council to how much go knows but it will attract huge business abs events that will boost our economy and add serious benefits and value to what the city lacks and needs 

location Christ knows 

I’d have said somewhere off the park way but that looks mostly developed now 

The old Norton Aerodrome?

I do wonder how many Liverpool fans used to trot out very similar reasons as to why they should move. Residential area, lack of parking, transport links etc. I imagine most of them have been delighted to stay in their old ground which has been really well redeveloped. 

The fact is, if/when we ever do get back to the PL, there’s nothing that can’t be achieved at Hillsborough, so long as somebody comes in with loads of money. 

• Like 2

Hillsborough is Sheffield Wednesday. Along with the fans. The team evolves. New chairman players and managers come and go. The one thing that never changes is the location and the fans. Hillsborough is Sheffield Wednesday. End off 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The main issues are the North Concourse and Leppings Lane.

One day, we’ll be in the premiership and righting the concourse will surely be quite do-able and affordable .  The stand and the concourse are almost separate aren’t they?

Leppings Lane needs raised to the ground.  But always cheaper than moving.

Hillsborough was built to be top-flight - simply doesn’t look right with low 20k inside.

Aside, long journey for us Monday - can’t wait.

I make these same points every time this topic crops up

Transport links are excellent for a football ground, a major duel carriageway next to the ground providing direct access to town and the motorway. Plus it's on the tram route and plenty of bus services.

Hillsborough area itself is like a small town, ample pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants. And only 10/15 minutes from the city centre anyway.

Hillsborough Park is a cracking facility next door

Parking isn't amazing but certainly no worse than most other grounds. People forget that a lot of the more modern stadiums are the hardest to get away from.

Hillsborough needs redeveloping, that's it

I've not seen a single viable suggestion for an alternative location that's ticks anywhere near as many boxes as what we have.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

A lot of blue and white tinted specs here.

I enjoyed the game, Hillsborough is historic and ours, the atmosphere was good, I’ve got 35 years of memories of the place, but the fact still remains that it is ancient and its maintenance is hugely expensive. Our training facilities are substandard too.

Hillsborough is iconic and beautiful in its own way but it has poor facilities, poor access into the stadium, the legroom is awful for tall folk like me, part of it even failed safety certification, it’s on a flood plain, it will forever be linked to the disaster, it is literally crumbling in areas, and I’m afraid it is just a fact that if we ever have ambitions of being a big club again and getting and staying in the top flight then we need huge improvements to our infrastructure.

Three of the stands are not fit for purpose and the neglect of several regimes running the club have left us in this position. Ironically Chansiri has probably done more for the club and it’s facilities than most. 

There’s no place for sentiment in football. You don’t keep old players that are past their best because they are ours.

Why should it be the same for the stadium?

The cost is going to be prohibitive in the short term but something does need to be done at some point. If the option and finance is ever there the club need to move or redevelop. Redevelopment would almost certainly be hugely more costly than a new ground though.

Wednesday’s playing and coaching staff and us the fans deserve better than what we have. That’s my view 

Keep hearing this maintenance line but what is it , it hasn't been maintained has it ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Parking isn't amazing but certainly no worse than most other grounds. People forget that a lot of the more modern stadiums are the hardest to get away from.

I've been to the Tottenham Hotspur stadium several times for NFL games. By far and away it is the worst ever experience I've had getting away from a game, involving waiting around for 20-30 minutes like penned cattle both outside the ground and at the tube station. Whoever decided to put a huge facility like that in the middle of such a busy residential area, obviously wasn't planning on going there and using it. By comparison, leaving Hillsborough is a doddle.

• Like 1