Moving ground

4 hours ago, fife_owl said:

The main issues are the North Concourse and Leppings Lane.

One day, we’ll be in the premiership and righting the concourse will surely be quite do-able and affordable .  The stand and the concourse are almost separate aren’t they?

Leppings Lane needs raised to the ground.  But always cheaper than moving.

Hillsborough was built to be top-flight - simply doesn’t look right with low 20k inside.

Aside, long journey for us Monday - can’t wait.

3 hours ago, nickswfc said:

I make these same points every time this topic crops up

Transport links are excellent for a football ground, a major duel carriageway next to the ground providing direct access to town and the motorway. Plus it's on the tram route and plenty of bus services.

Hillsborough area itself is like a small town, ample pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants. And only 10/15 minutes from the city centre anyway.

Hillsborough Park is a cracking facility next door

Parking isn't amazing but certainly no worse than most other grounds. People forget that a lot of the more modern stadiums are the hardest to get away from.

Hillsborough needs redeveloping, that's it

I've not seen a single viable suggestion for an alternative location that's ticks anywhere near as many boxes as what we have.

Some great points but we aren't going to get developments paid for as for the World and European Cups. It will take millions to bring it upto date if we were in the Prem . The area is fine but the ground looks shabby. Plus we don't even own the ground which, to me, is a major concern. 

14 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Exactly. Take the Kop as an example. It's basically built on a soil banking. There is so much land to work with there. Rip it down, clear the banking out and end up with a massive plot on which to build a new stand with plenty of space under it for hospitality, restaurants, retail to generate income, and a great match day experience. 

Where's the money coming from? Definitely not Chansiri who doesn't have the money to subsidise anything more.

26 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I've been to the Tottenham Hotspur stadium several times for NFL games. By far and away it is the worst ever experience I've had getting away from a game, involving waiting around for 20-30 minutes like penned cattle both outside the ground and at the tube station. Whoever decided to put a huge facility like that in the middle of such a busy residential area, obviously wasn't planning on going there and using it. By comparison, leaving Hillsborough is a doddle.

Awful but nowhere near as bad as West Ham and The Emirates.

Is it just me or do the pictures of southampton, Derby and Leicester look like basically the same ground but with different colour seats?  I am sure there would be others that if it were not for the colour of the seats you would struggle to know which stadium it is..   

I am not against moving ground but I hope if we ever do we get a proper architect in and make a unique stadium, we know its possible, look at wembley or San Siro..  Rather than just another copy and paste forgettable stadium...    

Some day Hillsborough will have had its day and we will have to move on but while not the most modern of stadiums its a classic that seems to be loved by all, which I think says more about how so many of the great stadiums have been lost for soul-less copy and paste stadiums..  We could happily get into the Prem and the old girl would still do the job..  When you think about how much of the year it is actually utilised is it worth it?  We could build a brand new 100k stadium and SYP would still only allow us a max of 35k anyway...

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

I've been to the Tottenham Hotspur stadium several times for NFL games. By far and away it is the worst ever experience I've had getting away from a game, involving waiting around for 20-30 minutes like penned cattle both outside the ground and at the tube station. Whoever decided to put a huge facility like that in the middle of such a busy residential area, obviously wasn't planning on going there and using it. By comparison, leaving Hillsborough is a doddle.

Nonsense.

Park in Edmonton and walk down or get a bus.

15 minute walk and I drove straight out of Edmonton afterwards.

Ridiculously easy.

56 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Some great points but we aren't going to get developments paid for as for the World and European Cups. It will take millions to bring it upto date if we were in the Prem . The area is fine but the ground looks shabby. Plus we don't even own the ground which, to me, is a major concern. 

Yes the ground does look shabby, hence why I've emphasised redeveloping it. The ownership point is a completely different conversation. 

As for Euro/World Cup - unfortunately that's pie in the sky thinking probably 50+ years away. A lot of that comes down to the appeal  of Sheffield anyway (or lack of).

56 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

Is it just me or do the pictures of southampton, Derby and Leicester look like basically the same ground but with different colour seats?  I am sure there would be others that if it were not for the colour of the seats you would struggle to know which stadium it is..   

I am not against moving ground but I hope if we ever do we get a proper architect in and make a unique stadium, we know its possible, look at wembley or San Siro..  Rather than just another copy and paste forgettable stadium...    

Some day Hillsborough will have had its day and we will have to move on but while not the most modern of stadiums its a classic that seems to be loved by all, which I think says more about how so many of the great stadiums have been lost for soul-less copy and paste stadiums..  We could happily get into the Prem and the old girl would still do the job..  When you think about how much of the year it is actually utilised is it worth it?  We could build a brand new 100k stadium and SYP would still only allow us a max of 35k anyway...

I hope you’re not going on Monday Cat. Jemmo has arranged for anybody referring to Hillsborough as 'old girl’ or ‘old lady’ to be dragged on the pitch at half time and fired at with water cannons and fireworks. 😱

• Haha 1

On 01/05/2022 at 18:24, GermanBird said:

If it was YOUR own money,  would you really spend it on demolishing Hillsborough and building a new stadium elsewhere?

Transport links can be improved

Training ground has to be moved elsewhere to built up to date training facilities

Cars are not the future (IMO)

I really don't see any advantage to destroy our home just to built something else without character anywhere else.

You don’t see any advantage to build a stadium that not only is cheaper to run and maintain 

but that generates crazy revenue streams to what ours does

you honestly can’t see any benefit in a world where football finances are rising to increase the income by reducing the outcome

you can’t see the advantage 

I’m with everyone I love our ground but to move forward you’ve got to move forward Hillsborough is a costly home that doesn’t get anywhere near where it should to generate the club income 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, fpowl said:

You don’t see any advantage to build a stadium that not only is cheaper to run and maintain 

but that generates crazy revenue streams to what ours does

you honestly can’t see any benefit in a world where football finances are rising to increase the income by reducing the outcome

you can’t see the advantage 

I’m with everyone I love our ground but to move forward you’ve got to move forward Hillsborough is a costly home that doesn’t get anywhere near where it should to generate the club income 

What are the crazy revenue streams? Surely anyone who invests in a new ground is going to want to recoup some money. So advertising and match day hospitality etc will not be cheap. I can’t see 23,000 fans suddenly decide to start buying food in the ground.- it will be the same slow service as now unless the new ground comes with new match personel. Apologies if I am missing the obvious. 

• Like 1

On 01/05/2022 at 18:12, CircleSeven said:

There is always loads of discussion about this but I’d literally rather go a rusting, knackered old Hillsborough Stadium than a shiny new Stadium MK clone or similar. 

She needs some patching up in places but she’s still a magnificent stadium!

A new stadium isn’t the answer to all issues with a club. As Sunderland have shown…

I agree to a certain extent but I think we need a poll and each entry submitted should have the post code of the entrant...

I’m not sure where people get this idea that the ground only looks bad now due to the lower crowds...I suggest doing a search of the crowds through the past 50 years and tell me when we were averaging 35k season upon season...we have fluctuated between really low and probably around 23k average

Hillsborough suits our needs just fine outside the Premier League, and we couldn't afford to do anything even if it didn't.

If we do ever get there it'll need upgrading, but hopefully getting there will give us the money to do so.

- Knock down the Lepp, put a brand spanking new 10,000 seater stand on there.

- Refurbish the North, put executive boxes at the back as per WC2018 plans, expand the concourse room.

- Remove the pillars on the Kop, reconfigure the concourse areas.

- Gut the South Stand, add a second concourse, move changing rooms etc to a new building in the NW corner.

All that for way less than the cost of a new ground and would be a 40,000 capacity dream stadium while retaining all its old charm.

And if I win EuroBillions, I'd do all of the above while buying the land across the road and use it as a supporter hub for pre/post match activities.

• Like 3

Gary Neville on his overlap fans debate talking about what needs to change from the board 

and he lists new ground abs facilities 

watch it for a few minutes from around 13 minutes in 

old Trafford is huge and generates more money than any stadium in the uk and Neville still thinks it needs knocking down and rebuilding to keep up 

sadly we will only fall further behind if we keep at Hillsborough 

I agree that Hillsborough is fine at the moment, heck even Turf moor is a premier league ground.  But I do think a new owner and a new stadium, or major redevelopment is needed to be an elite PL club.   In my opinion clubs like Man City, Leicester, Brighton, Saints for example wouldn’t of achieved their relative successes at their old grounds. New grounds or redeveloped grounds can help attract rich owners, decent managers, players, sponsorship, other revenue streams and increased fan bases.  

55 minutes ago, Littleowl74 said:

What are the crazy revenue streams? Surely anyone who invests in a new ground is going to want to recoup some money. So advertising and match day hospitality etc will not be cheap. I can’t see 23,000 fans suddenly decide to start buying food in the ground.- it will be the same slow service as now unless the new ground comes with new match personel. Apologies if I am missing the obvious. 

Manchester United turnover half a billion in the corporate rooms with the majority of that being non match days 

in context Doncaster which had no hospitality did 5 million in their first season in non match day conference and banquet in their first year that was over 10 years ago

Stadiums are a 7 day a week operation not match days where most people on here are looking at it from a stadium is a business 

I hear people talk about kiosks and merchandise on here to generate revenue streams and it wouldn’t scratch the surface on what a stadium can generate 

why do you think every club has moved or will be looking at these opportunities to do so 

why knock Wemberly down and rebuild it?, white hart Lane? Highbury? Goodson Park

all stadiums streets ahead of ours but looking to move 

and it’s not to get a few more thousand fans in a flogging extra burgers 

47 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Manchester United turnover half a billion in the corporate rooms with the majority of that being non match days 

in context Doncaster which had no hospitality did 5 million in their first season in non match day conference and banquet in their first year that was over 10 years ago

Stadiums are a 7 day a week operation not match days where most people on here are looking at it from a stadium is a business 

I hear people talk about kiosks and merchandise on here to generate revenue streams and it wouldn’t scratch the surface on what a stadium can generate 

why do you think every club has moved or will be looking at these opportunities to do so 

why knock Wemberly down and rebuild it?, white hart Lane? Highbury? Goodson Park

all stadiums streets ahead of ours but looking to move 

and it’s not to get a few more thousand fans in a flogging extra burgers 

Great points, if it works for Arsenal, Spurs, Man City and Everton, who are we to think that Hillsborough is untouchable. Its past its sell by date.