Takeover ??

7 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

You could have said the same about Leipzig.

1) They take the marketing angle extremely seriously:  Red Bull Owls fits.

2) They want to invest in 'heritage brands with history' - Sheffield being the birthplace of world soccer is important.

3) Passionate fanbase, with global reach.

4) Large catchment area to increase sales - Sheffield fits from an adrenaline sports POV with it being positioned as the 'outdoors city'.

5) Academy - a large part of the England team come from South Yorkshire - there is a huge potential pipeline of talent in the area but Sheffield Wednesday in current state is non attractive in terms of attracting the cream of the cream - investment in infrastructure and being an established Premier League club (plus the lure of the RB brand) PLUS the ability for players to get experience of overseas secondments within the global Red Bull network would change this.

6) Pipeline of players which could be loaned in from other RB clubs mean we would be a lot more effective at player transfers in and out without overpaying - this in my opinion would be the single biggest short term benefit in terms of overhauling our current playing squad to gain promotion to Champ and then start to compete for a Prem place - loanees from Leipzig/ Salzberg/ NY.

If I were Chansiri I would have built out a presentation aimed at potential buyers focusing in on the above.

Short term - yes we look a bit of a risk.  With the right long term investment and plan the potential is frightening which is why someone like RB would look at it.

Red Bull Owls, gives you wings!

14 hours ago, The coach said:

No it’s not

I can totally believe that Red Bull have looked at investing in a football team in England.

I can totally believe that Sheffield Wednesday have had a slide dedicated to them on a presentation to a boardroom at Red Bull, along with maybe a dozen or so others, when looking at potential candidates to purchase.

I can totally believe that as part of that research, RB reps have asked some questions.

I would imagine that's about as far as it goes.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

If the Redbull thing came to pass, (it won't), what would you be willing to give up?

The club name?

The blue and white stripes?

What would be acceptable to you?

Gone 33 years and seen about 2 decent years. 

I'd give owt to see us be a top end side - is anybody that bothered seriously? 

• Like 2

Guest mrbluesky
2 hours ago, shandypants said:

FFS! Come on pal. I’m not saying you are a racist but can’t you see how that comment could be taken as being racist language itself? 

FFS! Not sure...

If you aren't lol

If you are, take your cancel culture and jump!

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

I can totally believe that Red Bull have looked at investing in a football team in England.

I can totally believe that Sheffield Wednesday have had a slide dedicated to them on a presentation to a boardroom at Red Bull, along with maybe a dozen or so others, when looking at potential candidates to purchase.

I can totally believe that as part of that research, RB reps have asked some questions.

I would imagine that's about as far as it goes.

The first one being what's you asking price.

Then the club has been removed from the slide.

because and this is what DC, just cannot seem to understand, a club is not worth what you have wasted on it, it is worth based on its assets, the league it is in, the financial position of the team etc.

DC bought a division 2 team, with no debt, it's own ground, a team of decent championship players still in contract, a fan base that regularly get 20,000 a game - cost £32.5m

He now has a division 3 team, losing £20m a season, does not own it's own ground, team filled with league one/ championship players but most are out of contract in 6 months, a fan base that has had enough and attendance getting less and a club that is under restriction from the governing body for multiple infringements each season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

If the Redbull thing came to pass, (it won't), what would you be willing to give up?

The club name?

Nothing they are buying the club, they don't want what the club is then don't buy it.

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

So just get rid of our identity get lost!!

What then become named  Red Bull Wings and be moved to another part of the country like Mk Dons.!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

The club name?

If we change the name we will literally stop being Sheffield Wednesday!

I know change is inevitable in life but to me the club name, blue and white stripes, Hillsborough are all part of why I support the club.

Change any of those and then my support will begin to wane. 

Yes I know stripes changed a couple of seasons ago and I hated it.

• Like 1

I've been going for 60 years, I haven't seen many more decent years than you. I love the club, it's name and it's colours, it's what keeps me going to Hillsborough. 

Certainly some success would be great but I personally wouldn't give up our identity in exchange for it.

1 minute ago, mogbad said:

I've been going for 60 years, I haven't seen many more decent years than you. I love the club, it's name and it's colours, it's what keeps me going to Hillsborough. 

Certainly some success would be great but I personally wouldn't give up our identity in exchange for it.

The problem is, if we don't - someone else will 

The identities of clubs in the next 50-100 years will change forever, the game has changed - it's more corporate, brands are far more involved than ever. 

We move, or stay still and get left behind. 

I would love us to be a top end side but not at the cost of everything else.

Think our identity is more important to me, and I think we have lost a lot of it in last few years.

In fact I think all clubs have.

• Like 1

Football changed forever with the introduction of the premier league with all its money ? I’m 52 in March saw us have success early 80’s when heysel disaster stopped us getting into Europe, then the early 90’s when we really rubbed shoulders with the big boys and beat them regularly over 3/4 seasons…then we couldn’t sustain where we had got to and fell away over the next 5/6 seasons to never appear in the top flight again, my lads have seen maybe 2/3 seasons of success and that’s it. The big boys are moving ever further away from the other clubs in the premier yr by yr even manure are falling away atm?  How I’d long for it to go back 30 yrs not just for us but as a whole when you had a chance in the cups and mostly could keep hold of your best players, unfortunately those days are gone forever barring it all going pop and we have a reset . Still rather keep who we are and wot we are than loose the name stripes and colours .

18 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I would love us to be a top end side but not at the cost of everything else.

Think our identity is more important to me, and I think we have lost a lot of it in last few years.

In fact I think all clubs have.

Indeed, and I think it is inconceivable that we could send up with an ownership that makes us competitive on an ongoing basis with the global brands. The best case outcome - and one that is massively optimistic - for ten years time is we are a Southampton type club. 

Which isn't to say I'd care about all possible changes. Actually, I don't mind that much about stripes. But there are limits. 

40 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Agree. We should always be Wednesday. we were 'The Wednesday' I think first and the Sheffield prefix came later? Given that I could stomach RB Wednesday if it meant we were less poo.

45 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Ditto