Takeover ??

9 hours ago, Mick70 said:

Football changed forever with the introduction of the premier league with all its money ? I’m 52 in March saw us have success early 80’s when heysel disaster stopped us getting into Europe, then the early 90’s when we really rubbed shoulders with the big boys and beat them regularly over 3/4 seasons…then we couldn’t sustain where we had got to and fell away over the next 5/6 seasons to never appear in the top flight again, my lads have seen maybe 2/3 seasons of success and that’s it. The big boys are moving ever further away from the other clubs in the premier yr by yr even manure are falling away atm?  How I’d long for it to go back 30 yrs not just for us but as a whole when you had a chance in the cups and mostly could keep hold of your best players, unfortunately those days are gone forever barring it all going pop and we have a reset . Still rather keep who we are and wot we are than loose the name stripes and colours .

The colours I'd agree are non negotiable, however I dont get the "cant lose the stripes"......we had hoops and halves well before we had stripes so why are they so important

Personally I'd love us to have a blue version of River Plate or Monaco

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ian said:

The colours I'd agree are non negotiable, however I dont get the "cant lose the stripes"......we had hoops and halves well before we had stripes so why are they so important

Personally I'd love us to have a blue version of River Plate or Monaco

In our history we’ve been in stripes more than anything else? Other clubs fans recognise us in our traditional stripes? Just my choice and my opinion 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I think you are wrong and here's Why.

We have a history that goes back more than 200 years as a sporting club that has involved Athletics, Cricket and Football. Post 1867 we have had players who have participated in all forms of our activities. It's now more than 40 years since our last major trophy. However, almost 200 years ago an ex player was involved in the first ever International Cricket match between the US and Canada.

All that, and the rich History between now and then typifies exactly who we are. So when next we celebrate winning a major trophy would we be singing at the final whistle "We love you PETRONAS we do Oh PETRONAS we love you" or infix 'REDBULL' or what....

Of course not, ringing around the stadium would be  "We love you WEDNESDAY we do Oh WEDNESDAY we love you"

We are Wednesday and that is who we are; It is what we educate our kids with as the stories are passed on. Wednesday is in our genes ! 

abe-simpson-abe-simpson-cloud.gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Strings said:

Why not the name RB Sheffield Wednesday? 🤔 mind you this is the biggest load of rounduns since Geoff Sheard's consortium.

They surely would go for Red Bull Sheffield and we would lose the Wednesday 😭 

You better find somebody else to buy us, where we would be able to keep our name

22 hours ago, room0035 said:

DC bought a division 2 team, with no debt, it's own ground, a team of decent championship players still in contract, a fan base that regularly get 20,000 a game - cost £32.5m

We did have debt - he bought and allegedly cleared the debt (which he actually didn't do). The players we had were mid-end championship players at best.

DC needs to go but lets get the facts right 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Ultimately the value of the club is dictated by what someone is willing to pay and that dictated by how desperate Chansiri is to sell. 

If there is any crumb of truth in this and Chansiri is listening to offers, or has at least set a price, would be a huge step forward. A glimmer of hope we could at some point reach an end game to his tenure.

• Like 1

Could we be purchased by an entity like Red Bull and be moved out of Sheffield? We are always held back by being in a two team city. Why not move us out? With large towns without a league club including Dudley and Maidstone the world is our oyster?

‘Red Bull Dudley Wednesday’ has a nice ring to it…

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GermanBird said:

They surely would go for Red Bull Sheffield and we would lose the Wednesday 😭 

You better find somebody else to buy us, where we would be able to keep our name

People will shorten the name whatever we are called but as the RB link is erroneous we'll just have to stay The Owls.

Edited by Strings
Correction

31 minutes ago, Owl said:

As well as the price, the naming rights are also in negotiations. One of the names mentioned was The Wednesday RB. To be honest I’m ok with that #uto 

You’re not winding us up are you, Owl? 😉

I quite enjoy reading rumours like this but some on here get a bit prickly and like to call it out 🤣🤣🤣

All adds to the fun I suppose 😀

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
18 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Is this thread a dead duck?

It's never drawn breath, tbh., but Mick off Twitter who started the rumour, with 50 followers, is laughing his `you know what's off` at the 20 page + on Fowltalk!