Understanding modern commentators

3 hours ago, Owls2k said:

I think she's a breath of fresh air to be honest. Knows her stuff. 

And the main commentator is underrated too. 

Cannot be doing with Tyler these days.

Agree about Carney and Bill Leslie, he's been very good on Sky for a number of years.

Bit of a shame he's been moved onto the Premier League and not still doing many Football League games.

You right but it's not pc to say so. Fact is it's crap trying to be over technical. I don't like it. I think it feels condescending. 

I hate football clichés but it's better than the rubbish I hear recently. 

Imagine talking those terms to modern day footballers. They would end up playing in non descript formations and have no idea what the tactics are. Sounds familiar. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robowl4life said:

Overloaded and using the blocked lines sounds more like some American football poo.

They are, so is "pocket ( quarterback ) " which means the quarterback doesn't " scramble ",  he stays in a very small area and relies on defensemen to protect him. 

In real football ( "soccer ") I cannot see how this term applies because there is no formal "pocket(s)",  the entire distribution of Players is fluid,  and never remains constant,  anybody can be anywhere,  even in goal,  and anybody can score...

In American football,  Players are restricted as to position on the field,  and restricted as to who can do what.

• Like 1

Yeah 2nd phase is my favourite. I've said for a while now that Wednesday's main problem at the moment is during the 2nd phase where our transitions need to be better. Everyone can see its a problem yet it never improves. If we could fill the pockets in the middle third then we could hit the space and force the other team to drop into the corridor of uncertainty oh crap I've no idea what I'm on about and now it's obvious. 

Edited by latemodelchild
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Yeah 2nd phase is my favourite. I've said for a while now that Wednesday's main problem at the moment is during the 2nd phase where our transitions need to be better. Everyone can see its a problem yet it never improves. If we could fill the pockets in the middle third then we could hit the space and force the other team to drop into the corridor of uncertainty oh crap I've no idea what I'm on about and now it's obvious. 

Only Mr Moore would be able to make any sense of that…

I can’t hear Brian Clough or Don Revie or Alf Ramsey or Big Jack ever saying any of that drivel in an interview…therefore we have to call it Pundit Bullsh 1t.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2021 at 08:28, Southie_Owl said:

Some modern terms that grind my gears are “dropped” and “hack”.   

This 100% ^^^   "Ed Sheeran new album dropped this week".. oops that was careless!    "here's a good hack for you".  why hack at it? just give me a tip how to be more careful with my CD's in future, thanks.  

• Haha 2

It’s just emergent modern terms for the same sorts of ideas and formations that have been around forever. There are only so many variants on established tactics, roles and formations that you can realistically deploy with 11 players. Nowt wrong with terminology shifting, morphing and expanding over time IMO, it’s literally how human language works and develops.

What the gender of the pundit has to do with anything I’ve no idea.

• Like 2

I hate people referring to numbers as though they’re positions “he’s more of an 8” “no a 10” it’s really annoying because when players did tend to use more normal numbers nobody referred to it as positional play. Obviously numbers can give some idea but no number has a defined role, it’s not rugby.

• Like 2

I see it as a natural progression (I use that term lightly) of language as young people grow older and take their influences to a wider audience. Sadly, our kids have grown up being heavily influenced by TV and easy access to social media, which is itself heavily used by Americans. It is understandable that they use words they hear frequently, much to my annoyance.

It goes further than language of course, we seem to copy the USA in many ways, for example, School Proms, Halloween and blatantly corrupt political leaders just to name a few.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1