Understanding modern commentators

On 01/11/2021 at 20:28, ttimeowls said:

Is it me or do some of the new women commentators on tv been brought up on a different game 

wolves v Everton now 

just heard he is a pocket player ! ? 
they are being overloaded !! 
Using the blocked lines !!

dont get me wrong I don’t mind and not against this at all but I just think they are trying to be too technical!! Or is it me ? 
or can someone explain these terms ! 

I sort of get what you’re saying in terms of some phrasing used but I dunno what the persons gender has to do with it as male commentators/pundits talk an equal amount of rubbish at times.

I can’t stand Graeme Souness on the same level I can’t stand Sue Smith. It’s just personal taste I guess?

Gender should have nothing to do with wether you enjoy someone’s commentary/punditry or not. And if it does then that’s your problem.

Edited by FlyingOwl
  • Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

I sort of get what you’re saying in terms of some phrasing used but I dunno what the persons gender has to do with it as male commentators/pundits talk an equal amount of rubbish at times.

I can’t stand Graeme Souness on the same level I can’t stand Sue Smith. It’s just personal taste I guess?

Gender should have nothing to do with wether you enjoy someone’s commentary/punditry or not. And if it does then that’s your problem.

Graeme Souness played at the highest level for one of the top teams in his time, plus he also managed teams in the top flight. So he has good experience of the game and can provide insight from that, even if personal taste means some don’t like him. The same goes for Keane, Neville, Carragher, Ferdinand, Scholes or Owen. And some of those are boring to listen to.

The women pundits add hardly any value. For a start you have to go out of your way to look them up as you’ve never heard of them, have no idea which clubs they played for or know anything about them. Then they try and make out like the women’s game has equivalence with the men’s game which always makes me laugh. I’ve tried watching the WSL and the standard is worse than Wednesday even for the best sides.. surely I should be able to expect that technically the best women’s sides are better than a mid table third tier men’s side, but they aren’t. Obviously there are going to be differences in physicality but in terms of pure technical level.. it’s very much Sunday league standard.

I don’t mind the likes of Kelly Dalglish and Gabby Logan doing the presenting so it’s not about whether women should be involved at all. It’s just that as pundits they’re out of place as they’ve never experienced or played at the same level but in their heads they think they have which comes across as deluded.

Sky and the other broadcasters are just run by some woke lefties so they push this sort of agenda. In the same way that they won’t let the whole racism and taking the knee thing go, always wanting to create conflict. They should just stick to sports reporting.

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Graeme Souness played at the highest level for one of the top teams in his time, plus he also managed teams in the top flight. So he has good experience of the game and can provide insight from that, even if personal taste means some don’t like him. The same goes for Keane, Neville, Carragher, Ferdinand, Scholes or Owen. And some of those are boring to listen to.

The women pundits add hardly any value. For a start you have to go out of your way to look them up as you’ve never heard of them, have no idea which clubs they played for or know anything about them. Then they try and make out like the women’s game has equivalence with the men’s game which always makes me laugh. I’ve tried watching the WSL and the standard is worse than Wednesday even for the best sides.. surely I should be able to expect that technically the best women’s sides are better than a mid table third tier men’s side, but they aren’t. Obviously there are going to be differences in physicality but in terms of pure technical level.. it’s very much Sunday league standard.

I don’t mind the likes of Kelly Dalglish and Gabby Logan doing the presenting so it’s not about whether women should be involved at all. It’s just that as pundits they’re out of place as they’ve never experienced or played at the same level but in their heads they think they have which comes across as deluded.

Sky and the other broadcasters are just run by some woke lefties so they push this sort of agenda. In the same way that they won’t let the whole racism and taking the knee thing go, always wanting to create conflict. They should just stick to sports reporting.

Football’s football.

I totally agree that on the pitch, obviously, men’s football is ‘Superior’ a standard to the woman’s game. The woman’s game has come a LONG way though in recent years with more and more of the women able to do the sport full time etc etc. I still feel like there’s a way to go but to be honest it’s all beside the point. I just wanted to say that I agree with that statement. 

But the ‘level’ you’ve played at has no impact on an ability to watch a game and talk about it/provide an analysis. Arsene Wenger didn’t even complete 100 senior games as a professional footballer and he went onto become one of the best managers of a generation. Sol Campbell is one of the best centre halves of a generation but I’ll turn off if he’s speaking and he’s a bloody horrendous manager. I personally think Sue Smith is someone who talks a lot of rubbish and is almost a bit too enthusiastic, but I enjoy listening to what Karen Carney and Alex Scott have to say. 

I’m not sitting here on a Saturday listening to Souness talk about City’s striker problems thinking ‘he’s got a point BECAUSE he’s played at this level so clearly knows what he’s on about’. I’m just sitting here thinking ‘yeah he’s got a point…cos I agree with his opinion based on what I’ve also seen’. Later on someone will say something I disagree with, and their stature in the game or what’s hanging between their legs will have NOTHING to do with my view on what they’re saying. 

As a woman myself I know that my opinion and analysis of a game will hold just as much value as male friends of mine still playing Sunday league week in week out. Can I play at their level? Of course not. But that shouldn’t and doesn’t matter.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Football’s football.

I totally agree that on the pitch, obviously, men’s football is ‘Superior’ a standard to the woman’s game. The woman’s game has come a LONG way though in recent years with more and more of the women able to do the sport full time etc etc. I still feel like there’s a way to go but to be honest it’s all beside the point. I just wanted to say that I agree with that statement. 

But the ‘level’ you’ve played at has no impact on an ability to watch a game and talk about it/provide an analysis. Arsene Wenger didn’t even complete 100 senior games as a professional footballer and he went onto become one of the best managers of a generation. Sol Campbell is one of the best centre halves of a generation but I’ll turn off if he’s speaking and he’s a bloody horrendous manager. I personally think Sue Smith is someone who talks a lot of rubbish and is almost a bit too enthusiastic, but I enjoy listening to what Karen Carney and Alex Scott have to say. 

I’m not sitting here on a Saturday listening to Souness talk about City’s striker problems thinking ‘he’s got a point BECAUSE he’s played at this level so clearly knows what he’s on about’. I’m just sitting here thinking ‘yeah he’s got a point…cos I agree with his opinion based on what I’ve also seen’. Later on someone will say something I disagree with, and their stature in the game or what’s hanging between their legs will have NOTHING to do with my view on what they’re saying. 

As a woman myself I know that my opinion and analysis of a game will hold just as much value as male friends of mine still playing Sunday league week in week out. Can I play at their level? Of course not. But that shouldn’t and doesn’t matter.

The females who are in "my group" spout the same rubbish and the same pearls of wisdom as the males do.  If you was to read what they said instead of listened to what they said, you wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two.   

Watch my great nephew play football and often lasses play, some are so so, some are rubbish, some are way above average, one was an absolute joy to watch.  Same ratio as the lads, I will say that now he is approaching ten the physical side is becoming more noticeable, but the technical ability is the same.

In years to come as the females hopefully are allowed to gain more confidence the female game will improve more n more.

• Like 3

Guest LondonOwl313
22 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Football’s football.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion on the game, and that’s fair when you’re down the pub. The distinction I’d make though is that if you’re paid to be a professional expert summariser you should at least have some direct experience of the thing you’re trying to talk about. 

It would be just as inappropriate to have a conference level ex male player doing super Sunday as it is for a woman to be doing it in my opinion, and they’ve arguably played at a higher level. It’s not about gender but experience 

55 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Brilliant post, mate

Thank you for voicing an opinion that most people allow themselves to be bullied out of 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The females who are in "my group" spout the same rubbish and the same pearls of wisdom as the males do.  If you was to read what they said instead of listened to what they said, you wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two.   

Watch my great nephew play football and often lasses play, some are so so, some are rubbish, some are way above average, one was an absolute joy to watch.  Same ratio as the lads, I will say that now he is approaching ten the physical side is becoming more noticeable, but the technical ability is the same.

In years to come as the females hopefully are allowed to gain more confidence the female game will improve more n more.

I’m very fortunate that I was always encouraged in sport. I’m very fortunate that I went to a school where more girls did GCSE PE than boys, and our football team won more trophies. I’m very fortunate that in my mid 20s I’m in a group of friends where there’s 6 men and 3 women and we can all discuss things very equally, we’ll call each other out equally when the other is talking nonsense and our gender really doesn’t even come into thought. I’m very excited to have a niece who will grow up in an environment where she will also be encouraged in sport, and she’ll see all these women in sport on TV that I really didn’t have growing up. She’ll also get the chance to watch way more women’s football than I did as a kid and it’ll be the norm. I hope she’s surrounded less and less by some of the ancient opinions I’ve seen in this thread, as character building as they can be. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion on the game, and that’s fair when you’re down the pub. The distinction I’d make though is that if you’re paid to be a professional expert summariser you should at least have some direct experience of the thing you’re trying to talk about. 

It would be just as inappropriate to have a conference level ex male player doing super Sunday as it is for a woman to be doing it in my opinion, and they’ve arguably played at a higher level. It’s not about gender but experience 

But Alex Scott, as an example, has played at the highest level in football possible for her to achieve and played in the biggest games possible, minus maybe an international final? She’s also got a broadcasting degree ffs. I think she’s plenty ‘qualified’ and has more than enough ‘experience’ to discuss if that incident was a foul, whether or not VAR is a total farce and if Foden is better out wide or through the middle.  

Sorry, we’ll maybe never agree and that’s fine I guess? I just can’t imagine living a life where I’d be watching some pre match analysis on telly and someone’s gender would bother me ‘cos they’ve not had the right experience’. Crack on with your opinion but it’s a very sad opinion to have.