Understanding modern commentators

The worst analyst / co - commentator on Sky right now is our former injury prone full back, none other than Andy Hinchcliffe.

He just doesn't know when to remain quiet and acts like some kind of advice bureau on what the player should have done in the latest passage of play.

I just wish he would learn to STFU for a few seconds!

• Like 2

On 01/11/2021 at 20:40, SiJ said:

Tbf, watching Everton is like watching us atm.

Utter rubbish.

I thought just that myself.

Passes to feet, first touch backwards.

And the goal they gave away from left was just that, and the covering player seemed to try and get back in 3rd gear.

Delighted to say this wasn't us on Tuesday!!!

2 hours ago, alan48 said:

I'm still confused by the ' false number 9 ' - is this a cardboard cut out or someone doing a handstand who's really number 6 ?

And what's all this 'pressing '  nonsense - is this to do with trousers , cider or wine ?

Agreed I hate that saying. I think it’s when a midfielder plays as the main striker? Like Foden at Man City. I have no idea really it’s all b*llocks

• Like 3

On 01/11/2021 at 20:28, ttimeowls said:

Is it me or do some of the new women commentators on tv been brought up on a different game 

wolves v Everton now 

just heard he is a pocket player ! ? 
they are being overloaded !! 
Using the blocked lines !!

dont get me wrong I don’t mind and not against this at all but I just think they are trying to be too technical!! Or is it me ? 
or can someone explain these terms ! 

It's called diversity and inclusion, so be careful, you're not allowed to question it.

TBF there are a couple who are good commentators and talk common sense, Sue Smith and Emma Hayes and I'm sure there are others.

But also TBF you could apply this to some male commentators who haven't a clue.............Giddings springs to mind for one.

22 hours ago, alan48 said:

I'm still confused by the ' false number 9 ' - is this a cardboard cut out or someone doing a handstand who's really number 6 ?

And what's all this 'pressing '  nonsense - is this to do with trousers , cider or wine ?

There's never a reference to a "phoney 7" in reference to a right winger, or a "false 3" referring to a left back.

It's odd how numbers associated with positions in the 1 to 11 player number scheme still get used

I don't think that it's anything at all due to them being women commentators. So pack that in.

It is more to do with the fact that they are younger, and terms and phrases that people use develop over time and then become more mainstream. It's not the end of the world.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mosborough-owl said:

I quite like Alex Scott.

Me too, she's great.

I just remember her getting a lot of stick for using the term 'low block' as clearly she is a woman and therefore does not know any footballing terms. Then it appeared that most younger people were using that term 🙂

On 01/11/2021 at 20:28, ttimeowls said:

Is it me or do some of the new women commentators on tv been brought up on a different game 

wolves v Everton now 

just heard he is a pocket player ! ? 
they are being overloaded !! 
Using the blocked lines !!

dont get me wrong I don’t mind and not against this at all but I just think they are trying to be too technical!! Or is it me ? 
or can someone explain these terms ! 

20211106_002857.gif