The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

48 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Cheers for the well-thought-out reply.

My gut instinct says they should stick with Wilder, but whilst that hard working approach has taken them a long way, are we now seeing the inevitable end result of prioritising pashun and work ethic above footballing ability to such an extreme in the Premier League?

The longer they've gone since promotion, the harder it appears to have become to rely on the work ethic and togetherness which got them there. Maybe it's a psychological thing and the intensity starts to drop off by 5% after putting so much in for so long? As soon as that happens in the Premier League, less talented teams tend to get found out.

They've also really struggled to supplement their promotion squad with players of higher quality whilst also maintaining the qualities which got them up in the first place, haven't they? Again, the more you dilute that promotion squad, does it become harder to maintain those qualities which were so central to their rise up the leagues?

If I were a United fan, part of me would want the club to show a bit more ambition than to allow the Premier League dream to slip away (not that they're at that point just yet), but I'd be very fearful of ditching the only manager to get them firing in the past dozen years.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with Wilder's approach.

I mean Man Utd were hard-working and had pashun under Fergie.

But, unlike the Blades, they had quality.

And that the problem, namely that this team isn't good enough to be in the PL.

One of the reasons United rose so quickly IMO is that Wilder had an in-depth knowledge of the lower leagues, and this allowed him to polish rough diamonds and build a cohesive team, where we just went out and wrote cheques.

But knowing the lower leagues won't help now.

It's knowing the foreign leagues which will keep a team up, because that's where the affordable quality is.

It's Wilder's addiction to British players, and paying over the odds for them, which will sink him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I don't think that there's anything wrong with Wilder's approach.

Isn't the following part of Wilder's approach, though?

9 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

It's Wilder's addiction to British players, and paying over the odds for them, which will sink him.

It was the right approach as they rose through the divisions, but once they reached the Premier League, he seems to have come unstuck.

Of the players they've signed since they got promoted, who would we say has been a real success there?

1129440488_ScreenShot2020-11-23at11_59_33.png.0ece0d781b897df4aa704f141cb45dda.png

1094921159_ScreenShot2020-11-23at12_00_01.png.d63c5746c3df3b3afeaec4d40458c655.png

21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It was the right approach as they rose through the divisions, but once they reached the Premier League, he seems to have come unstuck.

Of the players they've signed since they got promoted, who would we say has been a real success there?

1129440488_ScreenShot2020-11-23at11_59_33.png.0ece0d781b897df4aa704f141cb45dda.png

1094921159_ScreenShot2020-11-23at12_00_01.png.d63c5746c3df3b3afeaec4d40458c655.png

None of those players are regular Premiership players.

A couple have potential to be but in any other Premiership team they would be bit part players or out on loan at lower league clubs.

That is the problem.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Owlinmad said:

None of those players are regular Premiership players.

A couple have potential to be but in any other Premiership team they would be bit part players or out on loan at lower league clubs.

That is the problem.

From what I've seen, Berge is the best player they've signed, but it looks like he belongs in a different team. I could imagine him doing okay at a different club.

As for the rest, it's hard to make a case for any of them isn't it?

Oli McBurnie for £20m is simply horrendous!

• Like 1

Berge is potentially a good player. He's the only one they have signed from a non-British club (who is near the first team) and he is the one who plays in a completely different way. He slows their play down. WIlder's football was always based on high tempo, that tempo seems to have gone down.

Maybe only British players have that humble quality that is necessary for all superBladesmen?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

From what I've seen, Berge is the best player they've signed, but it looks like he belongs in a different team. I could imagine him doing okay at a different club.

As for the rest, it's hard to make a case for any of them isn't it?

Oli McBurnie for £20m is simply horrendous!

Berge and Brewster COULD be decent but at the moment they both look like fish out of water. Agree about McBarndoor, what a waste of money.

Such a shame  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Blimey, those signings :duntmatter: 

I keep getting told how McBurnie is a decent player so can't have just lost it overnight, but he's only had 1 decent season. For Utd, he's probably had a handful of decent games. The stat yesterday was there is no other player in the Premier League who has had more shots than him without scoring. He's a dreadful player. Especially when he has his socks like he does, just reminds me of those Sunday league players who think they're world beaters so want to stand out, but actually turn out to be pretty s***

I thought Brewster would come good, but I watched a England u21 game (last week I think), and he looked poor in that too despite England's dominance in the game. So so lazy. Maybe the rumours about his attitude are correct

1 hour ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Totally agree. The thing is last season now appears to be a complete fluke, I didn't think they'd be relegated but certainly thought they'd struggle more. I said to Blades i know, at the time, that in the Premiership you need that extra bit of quality in all departments, hard working players who have plied their trade in the lower leagues will only get you so far. Obviously I got the whole "bitter" comments hurled at me but I think many are now starting to realise this.

He's built a very strong Championship side, but if they want to stay in the Premiership, he's going to need to bring in better. His signings so far suggest he doesn't really know how to solve that problem and would the Prince trust him with the next kitty?

Then, as been mentioned on here numerous times, the other problem is the reaction of the likes of Baldock, O'Connell, Fleck seeing these new faces appear on bigger salaries, when it was them who initially put in the hard work back from the League One days. These players will have agents in their ears demanding they knock on the managers door and demand a rise, think that's what has happened with Lundstram. It could easily divide the dressing room and that team spirit will evaporate quickly. Something I think happened to us in Carlos' second season i.e Forestieri spitting the dummy out when Fletcher arrived on bigger bucks.

I think they expected to be relegated last season and bought better quality championship players for this season (Freeman, McBurnie etc) following the west Brom model when they bounced up and down for years

As the season went on it became clear that they weren't going to go down so they had to start scrambling around to identify and buy 'better' players and this is where their recruitment is about as good as ours!

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

One of the most remarkable features of their spell in the top tier has been that these aspects of Wilder's personality were never well-hidden, even when they were challenging for Europe.

462222610_WilderManic.gif.30cc8c783f380046c23be3609110976f.gif

He's blatantly had some sort of counselling or someit for anger management.

You can see it on his face when he's about to lose it and just keeps it in. His face starts moving all over the place, he starts tripping over his words, he'll make a very passive aggressive joke or quip.

The guy is an angry little man, who struggles to keep it in when things aren't going his way. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, markowl said:

Did they really sign someone with the surname BLUNT?

How did I miss this?

WTF:

Maybe your related to Oliver McBurnie?

One way of looking at it is he's spent £135 million(?) on players. If they get relegated they'll get £95 million in parachute payments so a shortfall of £40 million. Like all teams they have no revenue coming so it must be costing Poundland a fair bit to keep them going. Should they go down as others have said how many if the new buys will want to stay or if they do be up for the fight? Could be a very important season this going down could make our situation look like a walk in the park especially if the rumours are right that he's borrowed against tv money.

23 minutes ago, darra said:

One way of looking at it is he's spent £135 million(?) on players. If they get relegated they'll get £95 million in parachute payments so a shortfall of £40 million. Like all teams they have no revenue coming so it must be costing Poundland a fair bit to keep them going. Should they go down as others have said how many if the new buys will want to stay or if they do be up for the fight? Could be a very important season this going down could make our situation look like a walk in the park especially if the rumours are right that he's borrowed against tv money.

That would be fantastic but they've also had 2 years of prem money to add into that calculation, minus wages of course. So many clubs have a year or two in the prem then implode and pay for it for a long time afterwards. Would be great if it happens to them. I think unless you have Man City money, the Norwich way makes sense. I'd rather be up there for a season, spend very little, come down with loads of cash then go back up the season after than suffer for years financially because of paying ridiculous money to wasters you will come to hate.