The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

10 hours ago, SiJ said:

Got a right strop on here. 

He's not very good at hiding the fact he's pi55ed off, is he? 

Reckon he's got a stressball under that desk? 

At the end of that interview he talks about nicking a game like when Norwich beat Man City last season.

Did anyone point out to him what happened to Norwich after that?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

I live in WY, Andy.....whereabouts?      Have to say i dislike both the dirties and the bladies though

just outside Dewsbury 

I never said I don’t dislike the blades. I just don’t pawn over their results or how they’re playing. I’m more interested in our performance than theirs. 

it’s a blades trait to hate us more than they love their own team. I think Wednesday fans are better than that and wouldn’t stoop so low 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Do you live in Sheffield?? Do you not have grunts at work who have been givin it large for years and are now really quiet..does your Facebook not entertain you when they’ve lost ..again?? I would imagine people who don’t care what happens at Utd must be out of towers..it’s bizzare if you live in Sheffield and you have no interest what happens on the darkside

No I live in London and make it back home maybe once a year, but with Covid not in the past year at all

I can't remember the last time I met/saw/talked to a blade

and Facebook.....I'm under 55 fella

They’re 3 points off getting out of it 

That’s what is so typical of it all, they’ll end up staying up - 1 point in 9 - that should see anyone down really, but because it’s that crap at the bottom there is little daylight between bottom and 4th 

Need Burnley to pull away

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Brewster will be desperate to get out of there,  total naivety leaving Liverpool's squad for this situation.  

I'm not sure how Wilder ever thought it was going to work either to be honest.

I reckon he will be shipped out on loan or sold for a small loss in January. 

Haven't Liverpool got first dibs f they want to sell him?

1 hour ago, markowl said:

At the end of that interview he talks about nicking a game like when Norwich beat Man City last season.

Did anyone point out to him what happened to Norwich after that?

Should also be pointed out that Norwich had won games prior to that Man City win and they did not "nick" a result against Man City, they thoroughly deserved the 3 points. 

And yes, they got relegated in the end anyway. 

*WARNING: Serious mental gymnastics required - not for the faint-hearted*

Try for a second to forget who we're talking about here, and imagine you're a United supporter (I know, I know)...

Gag.gif.57bbf579be166c1f1ab97e7abfcff337.gif

Assuming you're still with me: would you want the club to stick with Wilder or sack him?

I can understand the argument that he took them from League One into the Premier League, so should be given the chance to turn things back around, even if they go down this season. Plus, of course, he's one of them, full of pashun, humble, steeped in Bladesman culture etc...

However, the opportunity to establish yourself as a Premier League team doesn't come along too often, does it? The way things are going, they're likely to be relegated under Wilder. Would you want the club to thank him for all he's done, but look for another man to take the reins from here?

Now, please enter the de-contamination zone...

57 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

They’re 3 points off getting out of it 

That’s what is so typical of it all, they’ll end up staying up - 1 point in 9 - that should see anyone down really, but because it’s that crap at the bottom there is little daylight between bottom and 4th 

Need Burnley to pull away

If Burnley win tonight & the pigs lose to West Brom next Satdy night, they’re doomed.

On SSN info bar this morning: worst start to a PL season by any team. 
😀

Get the step ladders & paint out near that honours board.... 

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Try for a second to forget who we're talking about here, and imagine you're a United supporter (I know, I know)...

Assuming you're still with me: would you want the club to stick with Wilder or sack him?

I can understand the argument that he took them from League One into the Premier League, so should be given the chance to turn things back around, even if they go down this season. Plus, of course, he's one of them, full of pashun, humble, steeped in Bladesman culture etc...

However, the opportunity to establish yourself as a Premier League team doesn't come along too often, does it? The way things are going, they're likely to be relegated under Wilder. Would you want the club to thank him for all he's done, but look for another man to take the reins from here?

Personally I think they'd be nuts to sack the bus driver. Him and Knill have done a remarkable job. If they went down I would, unfortunately, expect them to be challenging the top 2, but thats dependant on which players would stay, are the likes of Brewster and Berge going to be willing to take the plunge into the Championship? The likes of O'Connell and Fleck may have other clubs interested and maybe want a fresh challenge?

From chatting to my pal, who's a Blunt, it seems many of them are in fear that the Prince may give Wilder the chop and bring in a foreign coach. With this they will see their humble hard working warriors ripped apart and filled in with various foreign lads who are there on mega money and don't really buy into the work ethics and philosophy what them lot have prided themselves on.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

955214773_ScreenShot2020-11-22at16_00_08.png.94919f638eaa1332ea6f1bff5fdbbbc3.png

They've still got time to turn it around. Man City only went down on goal difference that season, finishing level on points with two other clubs. And we were still in with a chance of staying up with 15 minutes of the penultimate game to go. Still, it is remarkable how their form has collapsed - they've gone straight from one of the best fortnights in their history and chasing European football to picking up 1 point from their last 12 league games.

24 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Personally I think they'd be nuts to sack the bus driver. Him and Knill have done a remarkable job.

Just to put it into perspective, they could go winless for the whole of this season, the whole of the next season and most of the season after that, and Wilder would still have a better win percentage with them than Monk did with us!

47 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It depends on the owner and how he feels Wilder has adapted to the higher level. He had a free shot last year as no one expected them to do that well. Expectation is higher now and so was his budget. He's spent a lot on young Championship ready players or ones that don't fit his style (Berge). Does Bogroll decide that Wilder is not the man to take them on to the next tier (Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton level) consistently or does he pull the trigger?

There have been a couple of similar examples;

- Bournemouth under Eddie Howe did great when they first went up then had a struggle at the start of their second year but they stuck with him and he turned it around. Howe also spent on young British players with not much success and that ultimately cost them last year when they just were not good enough.

- Southampton did what United have done under Atkins. Their owners decided that he wasn't the man to take them on in the Premier League and sought out a new coach who, initially, the fans didn't want as they had so much respect for the job Atkins had done. Can United find a Pochettino-esque figure if they decide to replace Wilder? 

I think they stick with him to the bitter end. Hopefully his interviews continue on this downward spiral of resentment, bitterness, jealousy and incredible gurning.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Personally I think they'd be nuts to sack the bus driver. Him and Knill have done a remarkable job. If they went down I would, unfortunately, expect them to be challenging the top 2, but thats dependant on which players would stay, are the likes of Brewster and Berge going to be willing to take the plunge into the Championship? The likes of O'Connell and Fleck may have other clubs interested and maybe want a fresh challenge?

From chatting to my pal, who's a Blunt, it seems many of them are in fear that the Prince may give Wilder the chop and bring in a foreign coach. With this they will see their humble hard working warriors ripped apart and filled in with various foreign lads who are there on mega money and don't really buy into the work ethics and philosophy what them lot have prided themselves on.

Cheers for the well-thought-out reply.

My gut instinct says they should stick with Wilder, but whilst that hard working approach has taken them a long way, are we now seeing the inevitable end result of prioritising pashun and work ethic above footballing ability to such an extreme in the Premier League?

The longer they've gone since promotion, the harder it appears to have become to rely on the work ethic and togetherness which got them there. Maybe it's a psychological thing and the intensity starts to drop off by 5% after putting so much in for so long? As soon as that happens in the Premier League, less talented teams tend to get found out.

They've also really struggled to supplement their promotion squad with players of higher quality whilst also maintaining the qualities which got them up in the first place, haven't they? Again, the more you dilute that promotion squad, does it become harder to maintain those qualities which were so central to their rise up the leagues?

If I were a United fan, part of me would want the club to show a bit more ambition than to allow the Premier League dream to slip away (not that they're at that point just yet), but I'd be very fearful of ditching the only manager to get them firing in the past dozen years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

I think they stick with him to the bitter end. Hopefully his interviews continue on this downward spiral of resentment, bitterness, jealousy and incredible gurning.

One of the most remarkable features of their spell in the top tier has been that these aspects of Wilder's personality were never well-hidden, even when they were challenging for Europe.

462222610_WilderManic.gif.30cc8c783f380046c23be3609110976f.gif

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

One of the most remarkable features of their spell in the top tier has been that these aspects of Wilder's personality were never well-hidden, even when they were challenging for Europe.

462222610_WilderManic.gif.30cc8c783f380046c23be3609110976f.gif

The everyman/humble hero facade slips much easier now though. The facial tics are getting out of hand. His temper is much closer to the surface now, that mini-rant about 911 games without getting sacked was tremendous. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

The everyman/humble hero facade slips much easier now though. The facial tics are getting out of hand. His temper is much closer to the surface now, that mini-rant about 911 games without getting sacked was tremendous. 

I'm almost at the point of wanting them to struggle not so much because they're United, but just to watch Wilder's gradual descent into full-blown, toddler-level petulance.

If this kind of form carries on into the new year, I'm anticipating a moment to rival this classic coming up...

2019562681_WhatDoYouWantMeToSaySeth.png.03e8e48d463093668df03909213b2c78.png

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Cheers for the well-thought-out reply.

My gut instinct says they should stick with Wilder, but whilst that hard working approach has taken them a long way, are we now seeing the inevitable end result of prioritising pashun and work ethic above footballing ability to such an extreme in the Premier League?

The longer they've gone since promotion, the harder it appears to have become to rely on the work ethic and togetherness which got them there. Maybe it's a psychological thing and the intensity starts to drop off by 5% after putting so much in for so long? As soon as that happens in the Premier League, less talented teams tend to get found out.

They've also really struggled to supplement their promotion squad with players of higher quality whilst also maintaining the qualities which got them up in the first place, haven't they? Again, the more you dilute that promotion squad, does it become harder to maintain those qualities which were so central to their rise up the leagues?

If I were a United fan, part of me would want the club to show a bit more ambition than to allow the Premier League dream to slip away (not that they're at that point just yet), but I'd be very fearful of ditching the only manager to get them firing in the past dozen years.

Totally agree. The thing is last season now appears to be a complete fluke, I didn't think they'd be relegated but certainly thought they'd struggle more. I said to Blades i know, at the time, that in the Premiership you need that extra bit of quality in all departments, hard working players who have plied their trade in the lower leagues will only get you so far. Obviously I got the whole "bitter" comments hurled at me but I think many are now starting to realise this.

He's built a very strong Championship side, but if they want to stay in the Premiership, he's going to need to bring in better. His signings so far suggest he doesn't really know how to solve that problem and would the Prince trust him with the next kitty?

Then, as been mentioned on here numerous times, the other problem is the reaction of the likes of Baldock, O'Connell, Fleck seeing these new faces appear on bigger salaries, when it was them who initially put in the hard work back from the League One days. These players will have agents in their ears demanding they knock on the managers door and demand a rise, think that's what has happened with Lundstram. It could easily divide the dressing room and that team spirit will evaporate quickly. Something I think happened to us in Carlos' second season i.e Forestieri spitting the dummy out when Fletcher arrived on bigger bucks.

• Like 2

Right now you’d say it’s between pigs, West Brom, Fulham and Burnley to go down this season.  The teams above them are better, and will get even better in the January window (Newcastle etc). 

Noticed the pigs have 3 big games before Xmas against teams around them, West Brom, Brighton and Burnley.  If they don’t get wins in those matches it could be a sad Xmas for the oinkers