Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

7 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Says his moves to Coventry and Huddersfield have fallen through. With us and Swansea now putting offers on the table. 

If so I’m quite optimistic. Swansea have a top top player in Matt Grimes who is a similar type too Garner. On top of that they’ve got Morgan White Gibbs, Korey Smith and Jay Fulton and only play a 2 in the middle. We on the other hand don’t have a Garner type. 

If Swansea are in for him then I don’t share your optimism... he’s played under Cooper before for England U17s which could tip the balance in their favour

3 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

If Swansea are in for him then I don’t share your optimism... he’s played under Cooper before for England U17s which could tip the balance in their favour

Beginning of the summer I’d have had no optimism. But Man U and Garner’s decision will be made based on his chances of playing, which, in my opinion he will have a better chance here than Swansea as they have 4 very good options in CM, 2 of which have just signed and another is club captain. 

12 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

like a broken record! 

Maybe but that's the way it is, I know they are doing everything possible to get deals finalized but it is very complicated, players, agents, clubs, everything has got to be right. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

We don’t need a centre mid. We have Brown (Dele), Bannan (Hunt), Luongo (Pelupessy). Easily enough options and I want these young lads getting game time as both have potential especially Dele Bashiru. 

1 striker

1 wing back (either side) 

Thats all we need. I’d like a keeper but Monk loves our two so a pointless discussion.

2 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

We don’t need a centre mid. We have Brown (Dele), Bannan (Hunt), Luongo (Pelupessy). Easily enough options and I want these young lads getting game time as both have potential especially Dele Bashiru. 

1 striker

Thats all we need. I’d like a keeper but Monk loves our two so a pointless discussion.

Not sure that we do need another couple of wingbacks unless one goes out as we have Penney, Palmer, Moses, Harris, at a push Reach  or Van aken and maybe some of the youngsters as well. Not perfect but not as desperate as our need for another centre forward to balance the squad and provide alternative attacking options if we need a goal

Just now, bladeshater said:

Trouble is man utd may demand garner plays every week

Yes I think they probably will, or they will look for a club where he’d likely be a regular. Having such a strong midfield trio, may go against us on this occasion. No doubt though, Garner will be one of the best loan signings available to Championship clubs this season

If we’re persisting with a 3 man midfield then I think we could do with another 1 to cover suspensions and a few players who are more prone to injuries. Plus with the aggressive high press tactic it looks like we’re deploying they’ll be more emphasis on rotation this year. 

Aside from that a Man Utd supporting mate of mine said this will be a real coup if we get him. They dub him as the next Carrick for them. 

• Like 1

Garner completes the midfield for us and allows us Bannan, Luongo, Brown, Fizz, Hunt & hopefully Garner

That six would allow plenty of rotational options and also lots of cover for injuries and suspensions. We have lots of Saturday followed by mid week games this season so a strong set of options is a good thing

Also gives us the opportunity to release Joey as well

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, abdiwonderland said:

Id drop all our midfielders for the chance of having a James Garner for a season. He is head and shoulders above what we have. Fantastic player. 

Is he really? Head and shoulders above Bannan. 

Has he ever gone out on loan in the championship before. Or are we just believing the hype.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

1 striker

We need 1 wing back (Sanderson) 

1 CF

And then either another CM or another CF for me (Field, Garner, Simmonds) too cover the long season and allow different formations etcs

• Like 2

As I said before, I would much prefer Slattery to Garner. Twice the player and perhaps available on permanent deal considering that he was left out of Southampton's first team squad. 

He would be perfect fit for role of deep laying playmaker and would be improvement on both Pelupessey and Luongo. Would certainly make us better "passing" side. 

Would be on top of my list of "realistic targets". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1