Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL

9 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

I think some people are confusing a loan signing to cover for Fletch's injury and a permanent signing.

The lad is in full training, on the bench for a Premier league side, has a proven record and loves our club.

A loan deal is a no brainer. Any team in this division would love him. Including dirty Leeds.

Leeds after Che Adams, but Southampton Manager reluctant to let go.

On the loan signing: older head versus young, unproven talent. When Fletcher was still fit I was all for us signing a pacey young player who could play off Fletcher. But now Fletcher is out, we need someone who can hold the ball up and lead the 4-5-1. It may be that there are some 19 year olds out there who can do this (like Abraham did for Bristol), but I think a lot of the young loanees will be more like Nkeitah and not built for that role yet. So, if we can keep Wickham fit, he could have a big part to play for the next couple of months.

Plus, if there is enough money in the bank for a target man loanee and a quicker loanee, then great (might need to offload Rhodes to afford this though).

6 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

If we dither, don't be shocked to see them or Bristol nip in and take Connor.

They say he can go, we want, he wants, just about the money,or it would be done already.

Guest LittleG
5 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

Wouldn’t touch Wickham with a barge pole.The emergence of Dawson , fox, iorfa and Borner shows the path we need to take. Young players with a point to prove, no ego, willingness to learn and not millionaires. 

Bizarre post. How old do you think Wickham is? He's probably not even reached his prime as a striker. More to the point how old do you think Fox and Borner are! 

Guest Grez Bez
4 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Bizarre post. How old do you think Wickham is? He's probably not even reached his prime as a striker. More to the point how old do you think Fox and Borner are! 

Exactly

He's 2 years younger than Borner! Same age as Fox, 2 years older than Dawson.

How on earth does anyone on here know he is in Sheffield. Good grief. Yesterday it was said he would be in the stands watching us which turned out to be bull cause he was on the bench at Palace. Surprised kev the owl hasn't been on today saying he was down at the training ground 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

Hope your right. Think I just have nightmares from your Andy sintons, Gilles de bilde, Bothroyd,Almen Abdis etc come with the big expectation and let you down . Prefer the genuine surprise like Keiran Lee and Borner type

Chris waddle ,  viv Anderson  how many more would you like. 

Yes due to my haste and 2 screaming kids I got my grammar wrong. My point was that players unfashionable players like fox and borner are thriving whilst youngsters like Dawson and Urgohide are also shining and this is the path we need to take. Big name signings rarely shine for us for some reason.Nothing against Wickham at all just have my doubts his body is upto the rigours of the championship. Feel the loan fee an wages could be better spent. 

13 hours ago, beswetherick said:

We did sign him (on loan) a few years back, scored on his debut I think

Yeovil away I think but this was the game where they scored after passing it back to our keeper after a drop ball and their forward chased it down if memory serves mcgoldrick scored with a header in first half 

11 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

Yes due to my haste and 2 screaming kids I got my grammar wrong. My point was that players unfashionable players like fox and borner are thriving whilst youngsters like Dawson and Urgohide are also shining and this is the path we need to take. Big name signings rarely shine for us for some reason.Nothing against Wickham at all just have my doubts his body is upto the rigours of the championship. Feel the loan fee an wages could be better spent. 

Aslong as Wickham stays injury free. Then I struggle to see how we could spend the loan fee and wages any better. He will be a lot cheaper than someone like Gayle. And with Nketiah although he would be good he seems to have a pick of clubs. Think we are just looking at as many striker options as we can. And Wickham is a decent one on loan.

11 minutes ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

No doubting CW's ability and I think he'd be perfect, but can we afford him? He'll be on an eye watering sum of money per week and Palace will want the majority of that covered, as well as a possible initial loan fee. It could cost us £1 - £2 million for a 6 month deal.

Reports suggest Palace want 25k a week, no mention of any loan fee, that'd be 650k til end of season!. Rhodes on 40k a week, so to me Wickham, a premier league striker, looks a bargain and far from 'eye watering' (within the context of the bonkers world of modern  player salaries!!)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

No doubting CW's ability and I think he'd be perfect, but can we afford him? He'll be on an eye watering sum of money per week and Palace will want the majority of that covered, as well as a possible initial loan fee. It could cost us £1 - £2 million for a 6 month deal.

As has been  mentioned previously I think, Palace generally subsidise loans on the proviso the player gets games, so should be affordable.

31 minutes ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

From what I have read Palace will subsides his wages. It makes sense for them. I think long term they want to move him on so if he plays regularly and bangs them in they may get a decent fee for him in the Summer. Whereas now he hasn't played a great deal I imagine they'd struggle to command much.

I think it's a win win for both parties.

18 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

Wouldn’t touch Wickham with a barge pole.The emergence of Dawson , fox, iorfa and Borner shows the path we need to take. Young players with a point to prove, no ego, willingness to learn and not millionaires. 

What on earth are you talking about?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

From what I have read Palace will subsides his wages. It makes sense for them. I think long term they want to move him on so if he plays regularly and bangs them in they may get a decent fee for him in the Summer. Whereas now he hasn't played a great deal I imagine they'd struggle to command much.

I think it's a win win for both parties.

It would be typical for us, were he to bang them in while on loan with us, and Palace make him available in the summer for a knock down fee, only for us to find ourselves under an embargo Not suggesting we should purchase him now, but we may have to make the most of any loan deal