Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL

4 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Sounds like Rhodes could be leaving to pay for Wickham. 

This is a worry - one deal depending on the other.

If we get wickham in and Rhodes left I think that would be awesome business 

another expensive striker leaving which hasn’t worked for us I mean him no dis justice and wish him all the best 

replaced with a premier league striker at a good age who’s been successful with us before and as all round better attributes 

I think a run of 4-5 games will see that we’ve signed a colossal forward in this division 

he’d be like out Dwight Gayle but better a real handful 

question marks like anybody who hasn’t played a lot of football even if fit is if they breakdown 

I’d hope we get a loan agreed with the option of a future transfer and this is signed off regardless of what the EFL do because in theory  it’s could to go down as one of the divisions best bit of business signing a 26 year old Connor wickham on a 4-5 year deal for 5 million

you never know if they work or not until you sign them I actually thought rhodes and winnal could have been great signings at the time where we was and what we was pushing for. Rhodes showed signs of decline but was still pretty deadly goals to game and winnal was on fire for the dingles 

hindsight is a keyboard warriors friend at times 5 million of wickham bargain could easily get 10-15 plus 12-18 month later if it’s the wickham we want....yes that’s a could and if like all transfers 

35 minutes ago, timrud said:

Would you rather him go, or given a shot with Wickham?

Unfortunately mate I think he has to go! Like most I've rooted for him but it's just not going to happen for him. It's a real shame but we have got to evolve now! 

Wickham is very intelligent, strong, pretty quick (for a big lad) and very good in the air so for me he needs to be partnered with pace! The big man little man type of pairing! FF could play that role but who knows with him! 

1 minute ago, Avon barksdale said:

Wouldn’t touch Wickham with a barge pole.The emergence of Dawson , fox, iorfa and Borner shows the path we need to take. Young players with a point to prove, no ego, willingness to learn and not millionaires. 

I’m interested as to why you think Wickham’s ego is a problem? None of our young forwards are ready yet.

i think Wickham would come with a point to prove and show what’ he’s all about

6 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Wouldn’t touch Wickham with a barge pole.The emergence of Dawson , fox, iorfa and Borner shows the path we need to take. Young players with a point to prove, no ego, willingness to learn and not millionaires. 

Wickham’s the same age as Fox and younger than Börner...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I’m interested as to why you think Wickham’s ego is a problem? None of our young forwards are ready yet.

i think Wickham would come with a point to prove and show what’ he’s all about

Not a slight on Wickham just think we’ve been down this road before with Jeffers , bothroyd and Rhodes . High profile, expensive strikers who fail to deliver. Time we tried a different method in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Not a slight on Wickham just think we’ve been down this road before with Jeffers , bothroyd and Rhodes . High profile, expensive strikers who fail to deliver. Time we tried a different method in my opinion. 

I'm not sure that we deliberately went down the road of finding someone who fails to deliver but, having said that, Steven Fletcher meets your first 2 criteria and turned out OK. 

8 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Jeffers was a complete t***er, along with Bothroyd who didn’t want to be here.it just hasn’t worked for Rhodes but he wasn’t helped with the ball lumped up to him and also being played out wide.

Wickham has knuckled down and worked hard for his previous loan spells and I couldn’t see this one being any different  

24 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Wickham is 26 not 42