Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL

9 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I have thought it through and he is far better than what we have available. Unless Monk changes his style of play to better suit the forwards fit, we will struggle 

I tend to agree.

He must be showing something in training for him to be making the palace bench, but he needs games and time and his injury record worries me. But I would add to that he will be committed to the cause (because of his history with us and his in-laws), unlike a lot of loan signings. 

1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

Different levels.

Please don't try and tell me Big Dave is better.

I think atdhe is more hard working but not quite as good a footballer.  Having said this the stats suggest he is an equally good finisher which is why I don't want wickham. 

2 minutes ago, shez owl said:

I tend to agree.

He must be showing something in training for him to be making the palace bench, but he needs games and time and his injury record worries me. But I would add to that he will be committed to the cause (because of his history with us and his in-laws), unlike a lot of loan signings. 

Weve had adobajo on our bench and as has been proved, monk can't wait to get shut. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Anlaby Owl said:

I think atdhe is more hard working but not quite as good a footballer.  Having said this the stats suggest he is an equally good finisher which is why I don't want wickham. 

Weve had adobajo on our bench and as has been proved, monk can't wait to get shut. 

As much as I love Dave, he's a bench impact player.

Wickham is to replace Fletch and Winnall.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shez owl said:

I tend to agree.

According to his father in law he’s fully fit and rearing to go. Roy has chosen not to use him and has also brought in a new striker. At this level and with 2 wingers crossing the ball he will score goals, and he offers physical presence to bring our runners into it

• Like 1

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

According to his father in law he’s fully fit and rearing to go. Roy has chosen not to use him and has also brought in a new striker. At this level and with 2 wingers crossing the ball he will score goals, and he offers physical presence to bring our runners into it

The right age too.

Wouldn't buy him though. Loan only until fitness proven.

29 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

I believe 1 goal in 4 is about his best return.. Thats not much better than nuihu. 

He got 1 in 4 at Ipswich when he was 18. He got 8 in 11 in his second period with us, we weren't great at the time so that was outstanding. He's done just under 1 in 4 in the Premiership, many of those games he wasn't fully match fit. I think he will do much better in the Championship. As a lone striker he might not score at the same rate as a poacher or second striker but neither does Fletcher. If he replaces Fletcher on a like for like basis he will be fantastic. (as is Fletcher).

As for a fee of £5M if we sign him permanently, I'd be ok with that if his wages aren't outrageous. That works out £1.25M per year if it's 4 years amortised. He will have a resale value due to his age and if we keep him fit we could make a healthy profit on him at some stage. If he breaks easily while on loan we will have the option of not buying him.

Remember that come the summer we are going to have a lot of contracts come up for renewal, that gives us the option of shifting out a lot of highly paid players.

This is a good deal for potentially a fantastic player. It may go wrong but so can any transfer.

• Like 1

Guest LittleG
31 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

I think atdhe is more hard working but not quite as good a footballer.  Having said this the stats suggest he is an equally good finisher which is why I don't want wickham

Bizarre!

Guest LittleG
1 minute ago, Anlaby Owl said:

Only if you can't read properly. 

I can read, it's what you wrote that I find bizarre. There's no comparison between Wickham and Nuihu and I'm not knocking Nuihu. Wickham is better on the ball, more mobile and more accomplished. Nuihu is someone to bring on for the last 15 - 20 minutes in certain games. If your opinion is that you don't want Wickham that's your prerogative, each to their own.