Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL

6 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

I'm not sure that we deliberately went down the road of finding someone who fails to deliver but, having said that, Steven Fletcher meets your first 2 criteria and turned out OK. 

For the first 3 seasons you could argue that Fletcher was high profile and expensive who failed to deliver and i’m a big fan of our Scottish warrior. Obviously we didn’t deliberately sign players who don’t deliver,what club would . I’d just rather us sign an upcoming promising striker rather than an expensive injury ravaged one. 

26 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Wouldn’t touch Wickham with a barge pole.The emergence of Dawson , fox, iorfa and Borner shows the path we need to take. Young players with a point to prove, no ego, willingness to learn and not millionaires. 

Wickham 26 borner 28 lol

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

For the first 3 seasons you could argue that Fletcher was high profile and expensive who failed to deliver and i’m a big fan of our Scottish warrior. Obviously we didn’t deliberately sign players who don’t deliver,what club would . I’d just rather us sign an upcoming promising striker rather than an expensive injury ravaged one. 

The problem is, that there are just as many examples of 'upcoming promising' strikers who have also failed to deliver.

12 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

The problem is, that there are just as many examples of 'upcoming promising' strikers who have also failed to deliver.

Agree but I’d trust Monk to find one. He improved che Adams no end and got a tune out of Jutkiewicz who I’ve never really rated. My personal preference we go down this route rather than the high wage ,injury risk one. 

• Like 1

Hopefully this does not come back to bite but anyone doubting the Whickham signing needs to give there heads a wobble. 

Yes he has had injury problems but seems to be over that. 

He is only 26 so approaching his prime. 

His work ethic when with us before was excellent and cannot see that changing especially if he has something to prove. 

His Wife and Father in Law are massive Wednesday fans so will have them to contend with if he does not put it in

If the financials are right it is an absolute no brainer and got to be a way better option than Rhodes or Winnall leading the line. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Hopefully this does not come back to bite but anyone doubting the Whickham signing needs to give there heads a wobble. 

Yes he has had injury problems but seems to be over that. 

He is only 26 so approaching his prime. 

His work ethic when with us before was excellent and cannot see that changing especially if he has something to prove. 

His Wife and Father in Law are massive Wednesday fans so will have them to contend with if he does not put it in

If the financials are right it is an absolute no brainer and got to be a way better option than Rhodes or Winnall leading the line. 

So your saying we should sign players based on who there married too and not the fact he’s played 48 times in the last 4 1/2 seasons . Hell let’s sign Peter crouch then . 
This is a joke by the way , no doubting Wickham ability just don’t think it’s the right signing for us. 

Edited by Avon barksdale

32 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Well done vorderman, you chose to ignore the other characteristics of the type of players we need at the moment. Signing expensive players has really worked out for us these last few years hasn’t it. 

loan not a purchase inspector Clueless. 

1 hour ago, Avon barksdale said:

So your saying we should sign players based on who there married too and not the fact he’s played 48 times in the last 4 1/2 seasons . Hell let’s sign Peter crouch then . 
This is a joke by the way , no doubting Wickham ability just don’t think it’s the right signing for us. 

Give it up now 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

Wouldn’t touch Wickham with a barge pole.The emergence of Dawson , fox, iorfa and Borner shows the path we need to take. Young players with a point to prove, no ego, willingness to learn and not millionaires. 

Loans are to provide a quick fix, giving us a boost to reach the playoffs and secure promotion. 

Not saying Wickham is the answer, but the approach is going to differ from long term players. We're going to need quality who can hit the ground running, so I'd welcome the millionaires, as long they did the business.