Joao to Reading is close according to Dom

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d like Hector but he shouldn’t be a priority. 

I'm torn on this. He would be such a quality addition but I think we definitely need another centre mid and another winger ahead of any other position. 

Bullen has only talked about '1 or 2' incoming if hector is one of them then we are guaranteed to be short elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Mycroft said:

This must be a backward step for his career, who ever is advising him must just seeing the pound signs.  Crazy. 

It's nearer London which can be a big draw for a young man.  He might catch the eye of one of the London clubs and if not at least he's near the bright lights and fast women.

Just now, new zealand owl said:

I'm torn on this. He would be such a quality addition but I think we definitely need another centre mid and another winger ahead of any other position. 

Bullen has only talked about '1 or 2' incoming if hector is one of them then we are guaranteed to be short elsewhere.

Exactly. You have Lees, Borner, Iorfa, Van Aken, Thorniley and even Hutch if needed to play centre back. 

In midfield we are playing with 3 and only have 4 options. If we are only bringing 1 or 2 in i’d much rather we beef up the middle of the park. 

13 minutes ago, jamsandwich said:

all these transfer charlies on here. 

when you SELL - you recognise as much of the transfer fee as possible as soon as possible. 

when you BUY - you recognise the fee over the life of the contract

it looks better in the books. 

Thats why the whole Rhodes saga was a mess - because if we sell him for less than we bought him for then it looks terrible in the books

800k upfront plus the rest on performance is a terrible deal for Joao. The only benefit is it gets his wage off the books. 

Installments doesn't mean depending on performance it's just a down payment of £800k then rest of transfer fee say £1.5 per year for 3 years.

It's very common.  When you see transfer values of £8m plus they are never usually paid in one hit.  It will be paid in chunks.

We would recognise (based on reported fee) £6m sale with a debtor from reading of £5.2m

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d like Hector but he shouldn’t be a priority. 

Similar situation to signing McGugan and Rhodes. Do we really need him? Great player, but Borner looks the part. If cash is scarce i’d rather not splash millions on Hector. Get a young CB on loan and use the Joao money to sign a CM and a winger.

I would do it the other way around, sign the experienced Hector, and borrow the others We want experience at the back, but legs and energy in the other areas

14 minutes ago, jamsandwich said:

all these transfer charlies on here. 

when you SELL - you recognise as much of the transfer fee as possible as soon as possible. 

when you BUY - you recognise the fee over the life of the contract

it looks better in the books. 

Thats why the whole Rhodes saga was a mess - because if we sell him for less than we bought him for then it looks terrible in the books

800k upfront plus the rest on performance is a terrible deal for Joao. The only benefit is it gets his wage off the books. 

My understanding was that even though incoming transfer fees are paid over the length of the contract the full fee shows immediately in the accounts. 

9 hours ago, SiJ said:

Weirdly, I'd be more annoyed if we sold him to one of the better teams in the division. 

For the life of me, I can't see the attraction of joining Reading. 

Pretty decent chance they are relegation fodder. 

It's not weird at all. better to have him at the bottom firing on three (or two) cylinders than him suddenly finding form at say, Leeds or Derby.  There is NO attraction to joining Reading, evryone agrees on that, look at their abysmal support on Saturday.

31 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

All deals are paid across the length of the contract 

Just like when we go to reinvest the money 

They really aren't. Theres no set terms, it's negotiated at the time of sale. Some are paid straight away some over a set period.

Transfer fees are amortised over the length of the transfer but that is an accounting thing related to taxation and nothng to do with money passing between clubs.

Edited by prowl

3 minutes ago, mogbad said:

My understanding was that even though incoming transfer fees are paid over the length of the contract the full fee shows immediately in the accounts. 

You can't put it all in the accounts because you might never get it.

1 minute ago, prowl said:

They really aren't. Theres no set terms, it's negotiated at the time of sale. Some are paid straight away some over a set period.

Thransfer fees are amortised over the length of the transfer but that is an accounting thing related to taxation and nothng to do with money passing between clubs.

No transfer fees are paid completely upfront 

Anyone else quite surprised that Reading are seemingly the only taker?

I know he's a bit enigmatic and frustrating, but I'm surprised someone a bit higher up didn't take a gamble on him. 

Perhaps his inconsistency has counted against him in that respect.