Joao to Reading is close according to Dom

2 minutes ago, Crofty_11 said:

Personally, in this market, I already think he's worth £10 million. I maybe wrong, but I won't be surprised if he's knocking around the 20 goal mark by the end of the season (as long as he stays fit). Our next youngest striker is 28/29, so we'll need to reinvest in this area soon. I just think Chansiri's making a terrible decision.

Yes I have to agree, but I suppose it depends on who we bring in. We surely need to add some younger blood, and a bit of pace to our striking options That’s why I was horrified at the Charlie Austin link

39 minutes ago, Crofty_11 said:

Brainless decision - I know no one would buy Fletcher due to his age & wages, but Joao would have been the last striker out for me. 25, coming into his prime. If we'd have kept him & played him, he'd have been worth £10 million + by the end of this season.

Only Reading benefit from this. We lose our most talented striker & Joao signs for a middle of the road, going no where club.

Bitterly disappointed at this news.

If the figures quoted by Dom Howson are true I'm delighted at the news.

£5-7m for Joao is great business.

56 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Anyone else quite surprised that Reading are seemingly the only taker?

I know he's a bit enigmatic and frustrating, but I'm surprised someone a bit higher up didn't take a gamble on him. 

Perhaps his inconsistency has counted against him in that respect. 

What’s his strike rate, 1 in 5/6?  For a mid table championship side. Don’t think many will stand up and take notice of that 

No, but would you pay 6m for Madine? Reading have got a good deal here. If the sale of Joao is a necessity then fair enough, but I'd have waited to see if bids came in for Winnall or Rhodes before the deadline, before rubber stamping this deal. Moving forward with a front line of Nuhiu, Winnall, Forestieri, Fletcher isn't good enough, what with their inury records.

Dissapointed we didn't get 8 million for Joao as I am a big fan.

However if we have been clever and structured a large sell on clause into the deal say 30% it could work well for us.

It didn't look like he was going to get a regular start for us so he would be in and out of the team and would probably have got around 10 goals. Reading will start him every week and he has a better chance of becoming the illusive 20 goals a season striker that's worth a lot more than what Reading paid for him. 

Clubs would then be queuing up to buy him and we benefit from the sell on clause.

If he flops at Reading we have got at least 5 million for him.

Thanks for some tremendous goals and all th best Lucas.

43 minutes ago, Crofty_11 said:

Brainless decision - I know no one would buy Fletcher due to his age & wages, but Joao would have been the last striker out for me. 25, coming into his prime. If we'd have kept him & played him, he'd have been worth £10 million + by the end of this season.

Only Reading benefit from this. We lose our most talented striker & Joao signs for a middle of the road, going no where club.

Bitterly disappointed at this news.

Pigs sold Brooks last season and used the money to bring in Egan and Norwood and then Madine and Hogan on loan.  

Ultimately the team improved.  Hopefully we can do the same.

Just now, York_Owl said:

Pigs sold Brooks last season and used the money to bring in Egan and Norwood and then Madine and Hogan on loan.  

They did the same in 16/17 selling Che Adams to Birmingham for a couple million when they won League 1.

For me selling a sub player for £5m-£7m to improve our starting 11 is good business. 

7 minutes ago, Crofty_11 said:

I maybe wrong, but I won't be surprised if he's knocking around the 20 goal mark by the end of the season (as long as he stays fit)

It's a shame he's going but at this stage, his record says he's not making 20 goals.

16/17...3 goals

17/18...9 goals

18/19...10 goals

Sam Winnall for comparison.

16/17...14 goals

17/18...6 goals

18/19...Injured.

1 minute ago, York_Owl said:

When you put it like that, it starts to make a bit of sense. However, did Utd sell Brooks so close to the deadline? I don't have much faith that we'll make the 4/5 signings I believe we need before Thursdays deadline. If Joao would have been sold 4 weeks ago, maybe I would have been slightly less annoyed at the decision.

5 minutes ago, Crofty_11 said:

No, but would you pay 6m for Madine? Reading have got a good deal here. If the sale of Joao is a necessity then fair enough, but I'd have waited to see if bids came in for Winnall or Rhodes before the deadline, before rubber stamping this deal. Moving forward with a front line of Nuhiu, Winnall, Forestieri, Fletcher isn't good enough, what with their inury records.

Well madine has contributed to two promotions so they will say he's worth it. 

On paper he obviously isn't worth they but...

Just now, 1993swfc said:

They did the same in 16/17 selling Che Adams to Birmingham for a couple million when they won League 1.

For me selling a sub player for £5m-£7m to improve our starting 11 is good business. 

This will be key, if it improves our starting eleven, then great. If we end up bringing in 2 or 3 back up players, then not so great

Just now, bigash_swfc said:

It's a shame he's going but at this stage, his record says he's not making 20 goals.

16/17...3 goals

17/18...9 goals

18/19...10 goals

Sam Winnall for comparison.

16/17...14 goals

17/18...6 goals

18/19...Injured.

I'd be interested to know how Joao & Winnall's goals per minute ratio looks.

3 minutes ago, Crofty_11 said:

I'd be interested to know how Joao & Winnall's goals per minute ratio looks.

I haven't a clue, from their loan spells.

Winnall at Derby. Played 17, Scored 6

Joao at Blackburn. Played 13, Scored 3

Edited by bigash_swfc

1 minute ago, Crofty_11 said:

Can only sell if someone else wants them.

In relation to the Madine comparison, he was 27 when he went to Cardiff, was playing regularly for Bolton and enjoying a purple patch in front of goal, scored 26 in 106 games. Joao isn't a regular starter, scored 29 in 127 and is 26 next month. At that age, I think the 'potential' premium element in a players value diminishes. 

I think c£6m is a good deal for us, as was £6m for Madine for Bolton.