Joao to Reading is close according to Dom

Worth remembering that often his best would be when he came on as a sub.

Strangely, he was often quite poor when starting.

Frustrating player.

Do hope we see someone come in if he is moved on. A bit of pace in the wide attacking positions wouldn't go amiss. 

totally understand why we need to offload but surely it's madness to do this before we get a manager in who may want to utilise what we have and get rid of others 

the timing of this down to Bruce is sh*t and I dont blame DC for this crisis but I feel he could have cut his holiday shorter to get this sorted out before now with a couple of days of trading left 

we really really need to get our finger out and get someone in place 

26 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Won't be many more permanent signings at a guess... Maybe hector for a fee plus loans from premier League.   It's the quality of loans we can get which will make biggest difference

Probably right yes, they still cost a fee though so they can be a false economy over time if you don’t go up and can’t raise sales.

4 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

A lot of Reading fans seem to think that the money for their first payment is coming from Hector’s sell on.

If true, it must mean someone is a long way down the road with signing Hector. 

I saw this too.

I though sell on clauses only kicked in above the original fee.

So if Reading sold Hector to Chelsea for £4m, they would only get  a percentage of any fee above that. Can't see anyone paying more than that when he's in the last year of his contract so not sure where they think this money is coming from.

I personally feel happy to have made a profit on him if I wasn't aware of what prices in the division have turned into over the last few years. I find it shocking what you have to spend in the championship now to sign a pretty average player, you would have thought 5m+ would be getting you an established 1st team player that would drastically improve your squad and now it just signs you a player that has never even established themselves as a 1st team starter. 

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I personally feel happy to have made a profit on him if I wasn't aware of what prices in the division have turned into over the last few years. I find it shocking what you have to spend in the championship now to sign a pretty average player, you would have thought 5m+ would be getting you an established 1st team player that would drastically improve your squad and now it just signs you a player that has never even established themselves as a 1st team starter. 

You have to ask yourself, how we can make a decent profit on Joao, and yet lose so much on Rhodes, despite both having a similar stop start career at the club

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

You have to ask yourself, how we can make a decent profit on Joao, and yet lose so much on Rhodes, despite both having a similar stop start career at the club

Probably because Joao tricks people into thinking there is further potential there while most people accept Rhodes peaked a while ago now.

I feel a lot of the negativity surrounding this transfer is because some believe he will kick on at Reading and be either sold on for 10 million plus or help them go up in the short term 2-3 seasons. 

I would expect we have a sell on clause. People use the Madine transfer as a yard stick to the price of our strikers. Cardiff had the money and absolutely paid over the odds. This doesn't mean others will do so. The spending so far in the championship has been pretty low (although this could ramp up before 5pm Thursday).

We can't just keep a hold of our players and expect to do business in the transfer window. Clearly the stadium sale has only got the EFL off our back for now. We still need to generate income.

Joao has never been a first team regular and though shows flashes of brilliance at times has largely been very inconsistent with us. If we get say 5 million for him and 5 million for Rhodes we could get Hector back and use the rest to fund a couple of loans.

How long have we been saying we need to refresh this squad? We can't keep the same side for 3-4 seasons and expect to challenge. We have an opportunity here to do that. As long as there's a sell on clause, I am fine with this.