Odds For The New Manager

10 minutes ago, Owls77 said:

The game has moved on too much for the likes of Megson, Pulis and Allardyce!

Don't get this at all.  It's 22 people chasing a bag of wind around.  It's true that fitness levels have probably increased and more teams in the UK play a tippy tappy type of game where the ball is passed constantly throughout the defence and the goalkeeper..  If this style is so superior, how do you explain the success of the Liverpool & forest teams in the dim & distant past against the best mainland Europe had to offer.  

Rowett comes with an absoute army of his own backroom staff and performance analysts. I gather he was on a big wage at Stoke too.

I reckon he'd be the expensive option. Seems to have had his rep tarnished significantly at Stoke - otherwise he'd have been the obvious one to get in - yet I'd still be OK with it, he's earned enough credit in the bank in prior jobs to be a serious option.

Personally, I think Holloway would be a great fit with Bullen staying on too.

Edited by davey_wells

26 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Wanted Paul Cook ...but can’t see it happening....only person now who will unite the fan base is Holloway....likeable bloke ... will win everyone round eventually... give it Ollie !!!!

He would unite the fans in the same way Chubby Brown would unite the fans ! Yes from me for Paul Cook BTW

3 hours ago, OwlInCardiff said:

Be typical for us to finally have got rid of Doyen to then start getting shafted by Gary Monk. Who, by the way, is about as depressing an appointment as I can imagine. 

• Like 1

I say this every time we go through this new manager rigmarole, we always do better when we make ambitious appointments. Jack Charlton and Ron Atkinson the best examples. You could arguably add Megson and Sturrock to that list - they went direct from Premier League jobs to managing us in the bottom half of League One - and also Bruce, who despite being a duplicitous snake had a major impact on the team in his short time. These are the most ambitious appointments we’ve made in my time supporting the club, and all were successful in the sense they left the club in a better position than they found it.

Employ a journeyman like Luhukay or Pleat, or a cheap option like Eustace, Shreeves, Yorath or Turner, and it pretty much always doesn’t go well. Stuart Gray is probably the one exception, an underwhelming appointment that turned out pretty good, but otherwise the general rule holds up.

With this in mind I think the very best use of whatever available funds we have would be to invest in the best possible manager we can find. Be that Hughton, Allardyce, Van Bronckhorst or whoever. We haven’t got time to wait for someone to learn on the job, we need promotion desperately. Once we get that cash injection maybe we can start thinking more long term but for now it should be all about maximising our promotion chances in the next couple of years. 

So please please Let’s be ambitious - history tells us it’s the best way for Wednesday to be. 

Edited by paulrs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, modboy said:

Depends who they are managing. Reckon Ozzie owl would have a good win percentage as man city boss 

Most people do take that into account when looking at win percentages. Like prior to Zola, Rowett had a decent win percentage with an average Birmingham side. Zola took over halfway through the season and had a win percentage of 8% with more or less the same squad over half a season. That is worth taking into consideration. 

47 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Jones just seemed to be totally unbothered by football at the end...It was like he lost all interest...

Funnily enough I was looking forward to the following season after that run to the Championship the seasson before..then it was simply "Meh"

Thank goodness for Gray or we were heading back down.  As you stated Jones had lost interest or the plot. Gray turned us round with no money just graft and solidity. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I say this every time we go through this new manager rigmarole, we always do better when we make ambitious appointments. Jack Charlton and Ron Atkinson the best examples. You could arguably add Megson and Sturrock to that list - they went direct from Premier League jobs to managing us in the bottom half of League One - and also Bruce, who despite being a duplicitous snake had a major impact on the team in his short time. These are the most ambitious appointments we’ve made in my time supporting the club, and all were successful in the sense they left the club in a better position than they found it.

Employ a journeyman like Luhukay or Pleat, or a cheap option like Eustace, Shreeves, Yorath or Turner, and it pretty much always doesn’t go well. Stuart Gray is probably the one exception, an underwhelming appointment that turned out pretty good, but otherwise the general rule holds up.

With this in mind I think the very best use of whatever available funds we have would be to invest in the best possible manager we can find. Be that Hughton, Allardyce, Van Bronckhorst or whoever. We haven’t got time to wait for someone to learn on the job, we need promotion desperately. Once we get that cash injection maybe we can start thinking more long term but for now it should be all about maximising our promotion chances in the next couple of years. 

So please please Let’s be ambitious - history tells us it’s the best way for Wednesday to be. 

This should be sent to the Chairman.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Bravo sir, well said

Edited by crookesowl
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Thanks for the measured response.

To be fair you don’t know if the players trust or equally important, rate him.

As I said in another tread, he knew the players and style under Carlos and Jos and that did not end well.

He presumably knew what was needed after the playoff final defeat and was part of the staff that oversaw horrific recruitment.

A manager looking to “start somewhere” is not what we need when his job is promotion. 

All about opinions but I think if we appoint Bullen we write the season off and start this whole process again in the next 6 to 12 months.

These are my thoughts too, I just don’t think we can afford to take a chance at the moment.

Of course, whoever we bring in may not work, but a manager with solid experience and a promotion on his CV and contacts within the game has a better chance of success.

it was also nice having a manager who the football media was interested in, brings more exposure for the club, which can only help when it comes to recruitment.

Edited by Spookone

1 hour ago, Hughdowd said:

Wanted Paul Cook ...but can’t see it happening....only person now who will unite the fan base is Holloway....likeable bloke ... will win everyone round eventually... give it Ollie !!!!

we can do the Man U thing.... 'Ollie's at the wheel, tell me how does it feel, we've got....................

28 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I don’t really think anyone can argue with this can they?

• Like 1

Please don't anyone suggest we go from appointing a proven championship manager on £2m per year that has a couple of promotions to the PL on his CV to a guy (Lee Bullen) who has never held the post of permanent manager yet?

Surely DC is not stupid enough to do this is he?

We've just trousered £4m compensation for the turncoat so looking for someone of similar managerial status should be a priority and that's what I think DC will do.

No point now looking for the cheap option.