Odds For The New Manager

58 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Rowett comes with an absoute army of his own backroom staff and performance analysts. I gather he was on a big wage at Stoke too.

I reckon he'd be the expensive option. Seems to have had his rep tarnished significantly at Stoke - otherwise he'd have been the obvious one to get in - yet I'd still be OK with it, he's earned enough credit in the bank in prior jobs to be a serious option.

Personally, I think Holloway would be a great fit with Bullen staying on too.

Rowett is only 45 so is not what some fans would call "been around a bit. 

37 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I say this every time we go through this new manager rigmarole, we always do better when we make ambitious appointments. Jack Charlton and Ron Atkinson the best examples. You could arguably add Megson and Sturrock to that list - they went direct from Premier League jobs to managing us in the bottom half of League One - and also Bruce, who despite being a duplicitous snake had a major impact on the team in his short time. These are the most ambitious appointments we’ve made in my time supporting the club, and all were successful in the sense they left the club in a better position than they found it.

Employ a journeyman like Luhukay or Pleat, or a cheap option like Eustace, Shreeves, Yorath or Turner, and it pretty much always doesn’t go well. Stuart Gray is probably the one exception, an underwhelming appointment that turned out pretty good, but otherwise the general rule holds up.

With this in mind I think the very best use of whatever available funds we have would be to invest in the best possible manager we can find. Be that Hughton, Allardyce, Van Bronckhorst or whoever. We haven’t got time to wait for someone to learn on the job, we need promotion desperately. Once we get that cash injection maybe we can start thinking more long term but for now it should be all about maximising our promotion chances in the next couple of years. 

So please please Let’s be ambitious - history tells us it’s the best way for Wednesday to be. 

Excellent!

• Like 1

Guest Theboylangers
46 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I say this every time we go through this new manager rigmarole, we always do better when we make ambitious appointments. Jack Charlton and Ron Atkinson the best examples. You could arguably add Megson and Sturrock to that list - they went direct from Premier League jobs to managing us in the bottom half of League One - and also Bruce, who despite being a duplicitous snake had a major impact on the team in his short time. These are the most ambitious appointments we’ve made in my time supporting the club, and all were successful in the sense they left the club in a better position than they found it.

Employ a journeyman like Luhukay or Pleat, or a cheap option like Eustace, Shreeves, Yorath or Turner, and it pretty much always doesn’t go well. Stuart Gray is probably the one exception, an underwhelming appointment that turned out pretty good, but otherwise the general rule holds up.

With this in mind I think the very best use of whatever available funds we have would be to invest in the best possible manager we can find. Be that Hughton, Allardyce, Van Bronckhorst or whoever. We haven’t got time to wait for someone to learn on the job, we need promotion desperately. Once we get that cash injection maybe we can start thinking more long term but for now it should be all about maximising our promotion chances in the next couple of years. 

So please please Let’s be ambitious - history tells us it’s the best way for Wednesday to be. 

Absolutely spot on. 

53 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Fair points there mate. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, erowl said:

Please don't anyone suggest we go from appointing a proven championship manager on £2m per year that has a couple of promotions to the PL on his CV to a guy (Lee Bullen) who has never held the post of permanent manager yet?

Surely DC is not stupid enough to do this is he?

We've just trousered £4m compensation for the turncoat so looking for someone of similar managerial status should be a priority and that's what I think DC will do.

No point now looking for the cheap option.

Honestly believe D.C. will be doing exactly as you say

Bit of apathy runs amongst the fanbase in my opinion, so always get the ones who look for the negative outcomes and convince themselves it’s happening 

1 hour ago, paulrs said:

Great post apart from Allardyce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulrs said:

You forgot to mention Brian Laws, probably a cheap option bringing him in from Scunny but did very well in his first season finishing just outside play offs.

11 minutes ago, bradowl said:

You forgot to mention Brian Laws, probably a cheap option bringing him in from Scunny but did very well in his first season finishing just outside play offs.

Reasonable shout mate, but I'd say Laws left us pretty much where he found us - fighting relegation. Admittedly we had one decent season under him and did the double over the pigs.

I think the fact we're discussing that one season under Laws as some kind of success perfectly illustrates the lack of ambition we sometimes suffer from. I mean, we finished what, 9th? Mainly due to a late surge rather than a sustained promotion campaign. And a club like Wednesday is seeing that as a highlight. It's pretty embarrassing really. 

Yes we hardly had any money to spend back then, but since we were last in the Prem we've seen the likes of Bolton, Portsmouth, Wigan, the pigs (twice), Hull (three times), Burnley (twice), Blackpool, Swansea, Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Cardiff (twice) all promoted out of the Championship. All significantly smaller clubs than Wednesday and most of those sides achieved it without spending millions. It really shouldn't be as hard as we're making it for ourselves, and if we thought bigger and got a quality manager in it would be the best possible start IMO.

4 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Just put a little bet on Pullis getting the job just so I can earn something if the worst thing happens.

Please let it be someone else 

Same 

got a hunch if Pulis wants it he’ll get it , heard whispers he’s spoke to the Boss man 

Bullen pretty much even money for the job, with the rest out to 7/1 and beyond. Really, really hope we don’t appoint him. Love the bloke and he would make a great assistant at some point, I’m sure. I think we need to go high profile now.

Edited by Castleford Owl

Guest Ferkorf

Why are people acting like we have lost a god like manager....

It was steve bruce lol

He turned the team around and did a reyt good job?

My nan could have turned that team around when Jos left, she would have started by putting westwood back in between the sticks.

When exactly did we do good? We won 6 in 11 against absolutely garbage teams. We couldn't beat rotherham or millwall.... we couldnt put reading to the sword at Hillsborough. As soon as we came up against half decent opposition we faded away. 

2 wins 3 draws 3 losses in the last 8.

3 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Why are people acting like we have lost a god like manager....

It was steve bruce lol

He turned the team around and did a reyt good job?

My nan could have turned that team around when Jos left, she would have started by putting westwood back in between the sticks.

When exactly did we do good? We won 6 in 11 against absolutely garbage teams. We couldn't beat rotherham or millwall.... we couldnt put reading to the sword at Hillsborough. As soon as we came up against half decent opposition we faded away. 

2 wins 3 draws 3 losses in the last 8.

Is your nan still available? We seem to have an opening lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, paulrs said:

So Bullen is today's favourite, after Zola yesterday and Hughton the day before... wonder who it;ll be tomorrow?! :tango:

Capture.JPG

Tony Pulis 

Just now, marcx666 said:

Chris Coleman is now 9/1 on sky, who put 50p and a bag of peanuts on him?

Another that will want the job and likely asking for Chansiris number