Steve Bruce favourite for Newcastle job

Guest Arnold

13 minutes ago, September65 said:

If Newcastle approach him, Bruce will think long and hard about taking it:

• The Newcastle fans don't want him and will make it very difficult from the outset
  • He doesn't need the vitriol and pressure he encountered at Villa
  • Ashley is a complete joke of a Chairman - why would Bruce want to work for him?
  • Does he feel an emotional pull - I'm not sure it's as great as the media make out, especially given his Sunderland connection
  • Chansiri and Wednesday treated him compassionately in waiting for him
  • He is mid-project with us, already shaping his own squad
  • Proximity to home and family
  • Our fanbase and the players are completely behind him
  • He has already brokered a good working relationship with Chansiri and is making all the key decisions here, which he wouldn't be able to at Newcastle
  • and so on.

It will be a big payday, though. Hard to turn down, realistically.

51 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Can't imagine thats true tbh. We all know we are in an embargo and can't splash out on players. Chansiri, for all his faults, has been somewhat too keen to get money spent and players in if anything at times. 

It could be true though if he promised to move players on to fund Bruce's ambition and then started asking for silly amounts for players which in turn stymied Bruce.

Sad situation really - because he probably knows and I think we all know that this will turn sour faster than his time at SWFC. 

He was ready to be part of a revolution again here - and now he's off to join a club with a currently poisonous fanbase, poisonous chairman, no backing in the big league. 

It's only going to go one way - but it'll be too hard to turn down for cash. I'm assuming he'll be gone by Christmas. 

3 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Haven't gone back through the thread, but VG TIPS on twitter has basically said it's a done deal and compensation negotiations are going on. 

He called it about Bruce coming weeks before it was announced too. 

Bruce apparently not happy with claims supposed to have been kept by Chansiri - players he wanted to sign but unable to. 

Agent and Bruce and Ashley been talking from day Benitez left. 

Think that's the writing on the wall I'm afraid. 

Knows nowt

I think he'll go which will be massive kick in the balls this far into pre season

I can see why he'd take the job with him being a boyhood supporter but I hope he knows what he's letting himself in for

He's onto a good thing with us, apart from the embargo he's got fans that appreciate him and a chairman who despite all his faults has given him full backing

I think he'd be mad to leave especially for that basket case of a club but at the same time we shouldn't begrudge him the opportunity so if he does go there will be no hard feelings from me

Edited by IWEDFM

I don't usually pay much attention to rumours, but the fact this is being so widely reported, including by the likes of the BBC, is worrying.

If Bruce leaves having barely started the job at hand, it will be truly gutting and will massively deflate any optimism the fanbase felt for the upcoming season.

We've just got to hope they can't reach an agreement or Bruce decides the St James' Park circus isn't for him.