Dawson

12 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Dawson’s biggest problem is that he has such a fantastic keeper in Westwood in front of him. 

When Westwood moves on (which could well be in a few weeks time) any keeper who comes here will have a tough job winning the fans over, because Westy is top draw

Didn't do Peter Shilton any harm........

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

14 hours ago, GerOwl said:

For me the main point is that lack of organisation when Westwood isn't in goal. The defence seem to be all over the place, like in the first half an hour of last nights match. I don't think that's a coincidence. 

Up to a point I agree but surely a settled defence should be able to organise themselves?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mus said:

I have nothing against the lad but struggle to see that he's a brilliant keeper like some claim. Too many mistakes for my liking.

I would guess that, if you compared Dawson with Pickford when Pickford was at the same stage of his development, mistake for mistake, the two would be pretty comparable. Usually, the way that keepers develop is to make mistakes then learn from them during the development process. Obviously, some are bound to have more natural ability than others and learn quicker. Only time will determine Dawson's potential. The answer could be to try to keep Westwood for at least another year and let Dawson go to a club on loan to gain more first team experience.

On 20/04/2019 at 00:48, ruscol85 said:

Best keeper on the books according to jos... jesus...westwood saves both of them

I really, REALLY do not understand anything at all about the jos appointment, you could have gone out and had an absolute skinful and made better decisions, well most of the time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mus said:

Up to a point I agree but surely a settled defence should be able to organise themselves?

a keeper can see forward from behind the backline, and see things 'in depth' that the backline sometimes cannot.

it's like being a cat on hot bricks playing in a backline where you have little or no confidence in the keeper.

I’d like both Dawson and Wildsmith to be sent out on loan next season with us bringing in an experienced understudy to Westwood. Both of them desperately need games if they are going to realise their potential 

You cannot blame Dawson for how individuals play, the back 4 have played together for a while now, and how does the midfield collapse if Dawson in the net. Against Norwich, they ALL played well, don't get at Dawson he only had 20 mins to prepare and he made some important saves. I doubt whether any Prem goalkeeper would have saved that freekick. Yes Westwood does organise the defence better but they all know their job and the whole team is playing 100% better than under Jos. Lets just enjoy this time

1 hour ago, Shetland Owl said:

You cannot blame Dawson for how individuals play, the back 4 have played together for a while now, and how does the midfield collapse if Dawson in the net. Against Norwich, they ALL played well, don't get at Dawson he only had 20 mins to prepare and he made some important saves. I doubt whether any Prem goalkeeper would have saved that freekick. Yes Westwood does organise the defence better but they all know their job and the whole team is playing 100% better than under Jos. Lets just enjoy this time

A common sense reply which won't cut the mustard on here - Cam is a perfectly good 'keeper who can hold his own in the Championship, with his only problem being that he was chosen in front of Westwood.  At least he has gained experience from this - no point in blaming him for anything - but supporters always support their team, come what may, don 't they, and they know that picking on somebody is negative and pathetic

On 20/04/2019 at 14:32, alanharper said:

"just like he “felt sick in the warm up” away at Bristol City a few seasons ago after being unsettled by theor 2 big centre halves"

That implies that you think it wasn't genuine. I know Aiden Flint isn't particularly photogenic but I'm sure his appearance didn't make Westwood sick from 100 yards away.

So... your turn then. Where's the evidence of this?

@Ian

And It's all gone quiet over there... 

46 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

He isn’t good enough to be our number 1 simple as that. If Westwood leaves it will be a massive fizz up from the club. 

No. The massive balls up is not selling any players to speak of in the last 3 years. Westwood is a by product of that

To be fair to Dawson, by the time he was dropped, a lot of the issues he had shown about punching the ball into trouble and being a bit jittery had been dealt with. He was fantastic away at West Brom too, the problem for him and any other keeper is that he doesn’t have the presence of Westwood as most don’t! 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

To be fair to Dawson, by the time he was dropped, a lot of the issues he had shown about punching the ball into trouble and being a bit jittery had been dealt with. He was fantastic away at West Brom too, the problem for him and any other keeper is that he doesn’t have the ability of Westwood as most don’t! 

7 hours ago, alanharper said:

@Ian

And It's all gone quiet over there... 

No point discussing with those who don't want to hear the facts.....there is no doubt that Westwood is a great keeper......there is also no doubt that he is very prone to pulling out of games, prior and during on more occasions than the average keeper.

Be interesting to see if he plays tomorrow

10 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Blaming Dawson for that free kick is laughable... Even for their first goal, our back line did much worst then Dawson.

Bloody hell, unexperienced keeper thrown at the deep end at the start of the season doing his best, and did ok to get so much hate from his own fans is simply wrong.

8 minutes ago, scram said:

Can't blame him for the 2nd goal at all

Should have saved the first goal though - pretty routine save for a championship keeper

But, don't you think his back line made it hard for him ? Plenty of players infront of him, yet not one busting his gut to stop the shot from coming in ?!