Dawson

For all the people saying he should have stood central, that's just not what you to defend a free kick.

You cover the side that the wall is not covering. You trust that if he shoots that side, the wall makes the stop or he blasts it over.

If you stand in the middle, you leave BOTH corners open, which includes the one on the unprotected side.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

For all the people saying he should have stood central, that's just not what you to defend a free kick.

You cover the side that the wall is not covering. You trust that if he shoots that side, the wall makes the stop or he blasts it over.

If you stand in the middle, you leave BOTH corners open, which includes the one on the unprotected side.

That rule only really applies if the kick is to one side. If he is stood central. It makes the kickers decision more difficult to which side he aims it. The player most likely saw Dawson’s position and made his decision based on that. If he is central he saves it.

7 hours ago, Ian said:

Westwood saves neither of them because he “hurt his knee” in the warm up just prior to a game away at top of the league free scoring Norwich.....just like he was “tired” just prior to the game away at top of the league West Brom and just like he “felt sick in the warm up” away at Bristol City a few seasons ago after being unsettled by theor 2 big centre halves

Good though he is, strange how these things never happen at home to the likes of Bolton

Possibly the worst theory/comment I’ve ever read 

8 hours ago, Ian said:

Westwood saves neither of them because he “hurt his knee” in the warm up just prior to a game away at top of the league free scoring Norwich.....just like he was “tired” just prior to the game away at top of the league West Brom and just like he “felt sick in the warm up” away at Bristol City a few seasons ago after being unsettled by theor 2 big centre halves

Good though he is, strange how these things never happen at home to the likes of Bolton

Complete slander, he’s out of contract do you think he’d pass up an opportunity to put himself in the shop window to any would be suitors to try and secure him and his families future. Very bizarre comments 

Wildsmith should feel really hard done too. He was a very capable back up for Carlos for around 3 seasons. I still do not know why Jos made Dawson number 1 over both Wildsmith and Westwood because they are both clearly better goalkeepers. 

3 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

JOC , got to agree with you. However, their first goal looks worse everytime you see it, due to Dawson's lateness in getting down to it.

He is a decent young keeper, but the observations made by many are spot on, the defence is better with Westwood behind them.

It should be obvious that his view was blocked with Wednesday players infront of him, and couldn't see the ball before too late...

Our defending for that goal was shabby.

9 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Dont think now is the time to knock Dawson. he had 20 mins to prepare for the game and one of the best keepers boots in the division to fill.

What worries me more is the fact the defence seem less confident when he is in the net. However that did get better as the game went on.

Will be our long term number one Dawson.  Mark my words.

They’re less confident because he doesn’t dominate or command his area or marshall them in the same way Westwood does. I still think Wildsmith played better for us last season than Dawson has this season.

Edited by Great Big Galaa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

That rule only really applies if the kick is to one side. If he is stood central. It makes the kickers decision more difficult to which side he aims it. The player most likely saw Dawson’s position and made his decision based on that. If he is central he saves it.

If he stands centrally he has no line of sight to the ball.

His positioning wasn’t actually that bad, it was more a footwork issue IMO. Too simplistic just to tell him to stand further over.

First goal was really poor though. Should be doing much better with that. I also saw a number of crosses go across the six yard box that I’d be looking for a competent Championship keeper to take control of.

Finally, I’m not even convinced he should have been on the pitch after the handball...surely a red card offence?

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

They’re less confident because he doesn’t dominate or command his area or marshall them in the same way Westwood does. I still think Wildsmith played better for us last season than Dawson has this season.

Wildsmith who defends his box like a table football keeper and dropped clanger after clanger last season?

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Wildsmith who defends his box like a table football keeper and dropped clanger after clanger last season?

I don’t remember our defence as all over the place last season when Wildsmith was in goal like we were in the first half of this season but hey your memories probably better than mine? :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I don’t remember our defence as all over the place last season when Wildsmith was in goal like we were in the first half of this season but hey your memories probably better than mine? :rolleyes:

Thats mainly because we barely left our half last season

People tend to overlook several very important factors.

1 The difference in age/experience of the two players

2. The apparent reliance  of the defence almost entirely on the GK, which should more often be the other way.

3. If a defender makes a mistake, and allowing their player to have a shot at goal IS a mistake, he often has cover. The GK has no such  cover. His mistakes are fatal.

As for the idea of 'sending out on loan to gain experience' is shot full of holes. Is there a Championship or HIGHER club who would be willing toplay a loan GK before their regular Keeper? I very much doubt it, and any experience in lower divisions is immaterial to any position.The Championship is played at a much higher level than L1, as we are finding out.

If, and when, Westwood goes, as even he cannot go on for ever, whoever takes his place  will make mistakes from the start. It is learning from these mistakes that shows the true worth, both of the keeper, his defenders, AND the supporters he has behind him