Dawson

2 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

People tend to overlook several very important factors.

1 The difference in age/experience of the two players

2. The apparent reliance  of the defence almost entirely on the GK, which should more often be the other way.

3. If a defender makes a mistake, and allowing their player to have a shot at goal IS a mistake, he often has cover. The GK has no such  cover. His mistakes are fatal.

As for the idea of 'sending out on loan to gain experience' is shot full of holes. Is there a Championship or HIGHER club who would be willing toplay a loan GK before their regular Keeper? I very much doubt it, and any experience in lower divisions is immaterial to any position.The Championship is played at a much higher level than L1, as we are finding out.

If, and when, Westwood goes, as even he cannot go on for ever, whoever takes his place  will make mistakes from the start. It is learning from these mistakes that shows the true worth, both of the keeper, his defenders, AND the supporters he has behind him   

You’re missing one ‘very important factor’

The goalkeeper actually needs to be good enough

1 hour ago, 1993swfc said:

Wildsmith should feel really hard done too. He was a very capable back up for Carlos for around 3 seasons. I still do not know why Jos made Dawson number 1 over both Wildsmith and Westwood because they are both clearly better goalkeepers. 

Totally agree...I’ve seen more in wildsmith than I have Dawson.

People keep saying Dawson will be our number one in years to come...from what I’ve seen so far I really hope not. 

Dawson is a flapper. He’s nervous and a bit jittery. Players pick up on that which gives them some niggling doubt. This is then transferred into their decision making and they rush or hurry a little more than usual. Opposing players see and feel it too. Dawson did his best and pulls off some fine saves, as does Wildsmith, but I don’t ever see any improvement in Dawson. Wildsmith is a year younger but has international experience at different age groups for England. Wildsmith was improving with every game.

I think Bruce will look for another keeper in the summer to take over from Westwood.

4 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

The back four all had good games, with no help from Dawson who seems to have his boots glued to the goal line. 

Interesting comment about a keeper in a game where he got booked for ball outside the area

1 hour ago, Avon barksdale said:

Complete slander, he’s out of contract do you think he’d pass up an opportunity to put himself in the shop window to any would be suitors to try and secure him and his families future. Very bizarre comments 

You probably need to read up on what slander is ....apart from the fact that slander is what someone has said not written, everything I have said here is fact......please tell me any of it that isn’t

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Possibly the worst theory/comment I’ve ever read 

Except it’s not a theory it’s a fact.....Westwood had been substituted more times on his own than every other Wednesday keeper combined in the 150+ years history of the club (that’s another fact) and you can add a significant number of times that he has missed games due to getting injured in the warm up or other mysterious “injuries” such as being tired

59 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

They’re less confident because he doesn’t dominate or command his area or marshall them in the same way Westwood does. I still think Wildsmith played better for us last season than Dawson has this season.

That's exactly my point. Still think Dawson will be the better keeper out of him and Wildsmith though.

15 minutes ago, Ian said:

Interesting comment about a keeper in a game where he got booked for ball outside the area

Did you watch the full game? The comment refers to pressure in and around our box, not a random punt upfield and he is the last defender. 

15 minutes ago, Ian said:

You probably need to read up on what slander is ....apart from the fact that slander is what someone has said not written, everything I have said here is fact......please tell me any of it that isn’t

Thanks for clearing that up and clarifying that he was definitely 100% injured, for the games you mentioned and not implying that he was feigning injury/shying off as I originally thought you meant. 

32 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

That's exactly my point. Still think Dawson will be the better keeper out of him and Wildsmith though.

Last season was a poor season but I thought Wildsmith was one of our standout performers. To find himself out of favour in the way that he has been this season must be pretty hard for him to take particularly when Dawson hasn't really been performing that well even though that's my opinion and it won't be shared by some on here :biggrin: I think Lukuhay has ruined his career here and he hasn't really in truth done Dawson any favours either? Absolute car crash of a manager IMO?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

52 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

Dawson is a flapper. He’s nervous and a bit jittery. Players pick up on that which gives them some niggling doubt. This is then transferred into their decision making and they rush or hurry a little more than usual. Opposing players see and feel it too. Dawson did his best and pulls off some fine saves, as does Wildsmith, but I don’t ever see any improvement in Dawson. Wildsmith is a year younger but has international experience at different age groups for England. Wildsmith was improving with every game.

I think Bruce will look for another keeper in the summer to take over from Westwood.

Dawson has more International experience than Wildsmith.  Dawson has played 5 times for England U18 and 19 whereas Wildsmith played once for England U20's although he was in some U21 squads without ever getting a cap.

Why do people talk on here as though Wildsmith and Dawson are still teenagers when they are 24 this year? In two years time are they still going to learning when they are 26? They are not young now.  I thing for the sake of their own careers at least one them will have to leave. I'm sure they won't want to be number 2 and 3 keepers for another year.  There's only so long they can leave it.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Finally, I’m not even convinced he should have been on the pitch after the handball...surely a red card offence?

It’s a good job he was, as we had no sub keeper and it’s likely we would have been hammered.

As for should he have been sent off. I may be wrong, but I think it’s only a red if he is denying a clear goal scoring opportunity by handling outside the area. I think it was more a case of very poor judgement rather than a deliberate act.

Edited by sexpistol

It’s amazing isn’t it. Not too long ago folk were waxing lyrical about Dawson and Wildsmith. People on this very board put Dawson ahead of Wildsmith. 

Fast forward through probably one of the toughest periods of the young man’s very early goalkeeping career, and suddenly he’s sh*t. Give youth a chance they said. 

Can fans give this lad a chance instead of lambasting him? We all know who the best keeper is, it’s Westwood. But Dawson has he makings of being an excellent keeper for this club. Last night he probably should have saved their first goal - but he wasn’t the only one to blame. There were a few experienced defenders who should have done so much better.  As for the handball incident it was a mistake. He won’t be the only keeper to make a mistake, and won’t be the last.

54 minutes ago, the monk said:

When will he have learnt ? 

Hes 24 

To be fair Goalkeepers mature and reach their peak late in their careers. Because they typically don’t get loads of 1st team game time do they? 

Guest gizowl
4 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

It’s amazing isn’t it. Not too long ago folk were waxing lyrical about Dawson and Wildsmith. People on this very board put Dawson ahead of Wildsmith. 

Fast forward through probably one of the toughest periods of the young man’s very early goalkeeping career, and suddenly he’s sh*t. Give youth a chance they said. 

Can fans give this lad a chance instead of lambasting him? We all know who the best keeper is, it’s Westwood. But Dawson has he makings of being an excellent keeper for this club. Last night he probably should have saved their first goal - but he wasn’t the only one to blame. There were a few experienced defenders who should have done so much better.  As for the handball incident it was a mistake. He won’t be the only keeper to make a mistake, and won’t be the last.

To be fair Goalkeepers mature and reach their peak late in their careers. Because they typically don’t get loads of 1st team game time do they? 

You mean like Pickford, or Henderson who plays for the pigs. 

20 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

It’s a good job he was, as we had no sub keeper and it’s likely we would have been hammered.

As for should he have been sent off. I may be wrong, but I think it’s only a red if he is denying a clear goal scoring opportunity by handling outside the area. I think it was more a case of very poor judgement rather than a deliberate act.

1. Your definition doesn’t mention deliberate. You can accidentally deny a clear goal scoring opportunity

2. He meant to catch the ball = therefore deliberate. The misjudgement is lack of ability, not lack of intention.

If he doesn’t catch that, the striker runs past him onto the ball surely?

1 hour ago, Ian said:

OK, show us some evidence for your bizarre claim that Westwood faked illness at Bristol because he was scared of their centre halves.