The Refusal by Sheffield Wednesday to accept Legal Tender.

On 07/04/2019 at 09:31, np pontefract said:

I have been supporting Sheffield Wednesday since I was a small boy in the late sixties.

In that time, I must have spent Thousands of pounds on Food and Drink inside the ground.

To me, a drink of Tea, Coffee or possibly Bovril and a pie, and an occasional Pint is part of what is often called the "Match day Experience".

That spending, inside the Ground, has now, sadly, come to an end.

It would appear that every kiosk in the North Stand has gone "Cashless".

The club are now Refusing to Accept Cash payments.(LEGAL TENDER)

I will not be "told how to pay" by the club. 

I will, of course, continue to purchase food and drink on match days, all of it OUTSIDE THE GROUND......

A very strange hill to die on.

4 hours ago, Hirst1867 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/contactless-card-fraud-increase-money-security-bank-account-a8722361.html

Data quietly released this week shows the instances of thefts relating to contactless cards doubled in just 10 months last year, according to Action Fraud, the national reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime.

Up from 1,440 cases worth £711,000 over the same period in 2017 to around 2,740 cases worth almost £1.8m in 2018, the average amount stolen last year was more than £650. One case investigated by police reported a £400,000 loss after a card was used multiple times.

The 2018 cases, recorded between April 2017 and January 2018, represent more than half of all the reports of contactless-related fraud investigated by the City of London Police alone, which runs Action Fraud, since 2013

To provide context, June 2017 saw approx 470M contactless transactions. (According to google).

• Like 1

So the club has said it is doing this to quicken up the process of buying food and drinks at the kiosk.

So for anyone who used them at the weekend, simply has it worked or has it had no effect what so ever and at the same time older fans or those that are money in their pocket types now will not be spending money in the stadium because of it.

I am sure the club would welcome your feedback on the issue.

I do also wonder whether the push to cardless has anything to do with the increase costs from the security/banks. As most small business can only deposit small amount of cash before they are charge by their banks a business like SWFC must be taking a lot of cash on match days and being charge a lot of money so it is safely looked after. This simple could be another way the club are looking at saving cost.

14 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So the club has said it is doing this to quicken up the process of buying food and drinks at the kiosk.

So for anyone who used them at the weekend, simply has it worked or has it had no effect what so ever and at the same time older fans or those that are money in their pocket types now will not be spending money in the stadium because of it.

I am sure the club would welcome your feedback on the issue.

I do also wonder whether the push to cardless has anything to do with the increase costs from the security/banks. As most small business can only deposit small amount of cash before they are charge by their banks a business like SWFC must be taking a lot of cash on match days and being charge a lot of money so it is safely looked after. This simple could be another way the club are looking at saving cost.

The problem is not the cash / card issue - in reality it is the staff. The turn-over is huge. I use the same kiosk on the South, and the staff change week to week. There is no way we can change the staff on a fornightly basis and have properly trained staff that bascially rock up for the first time at 12.30, get minimal training and then have to cope with the Pre game and half time rush.

A few years ago the substation that supplies the town I live in was knocked out... everything was down including ATMs and tills.

I had to go to different neighbors to borrow some cash to buy our tea.

The woman in the shop was busy with pen and paper and the till was a biscuit tin.

She had to write down what change was owed because she had no float.

It was very unusual that I had no money in the house but there you go....if the e-money chain collapses it will show up how reliant we are on plastic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The only reason it didn't speed up the process was because of all the old fuckers complaining for 2 minutes at a time they couldn't use their pre-counted 5p's to buy 4 pints and a Mars bar.

Time to get with the times granddad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 07/04/2019 at 11:56, dorian gray said:

I heard last week of (let's call them fellow europeans) with mobile cashless card readers on them 'working' heavily crowded area's, buses, trams, london underground, big city shopping area's, the likes of meadowhall etc. taking just £10 or £20 off everyone they could 'contact', can you imagine how much they could end up with by the end of the day?

absolutely no evidence exists for this - and where would the money go? to a bank account - tracing it would be simple

The extra convenience of 'cashless' systems to the customer is extremely marginal at best.   Like most 'improvements' that people never asked for all the benefits are for the vendor (and whoever is providing the payment system)

The most obvious benefit to SWFC of going cashless I would imagine is that they can (continue to) employ people who have no basic arithmetic skills to work the tills since the arduous problem of giving people the correct change is taken away from them entirely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hirst1867 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/contactless-card-fraud-increase-money-security-bank-account-a8722361.html

One case investigated by police reported a £400,000 loss after a card was used multiple times.

If that was contactless use, that has a £30 limit, therefore the card must have been used at least 13333.33333 times :ph34r:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

If that was contactless use, that has a £30 limit, therefore the card must have been used at least 13333.33333 times :ph34r:

And, even assuming that the owner didn't realise that his/her card had been missing long enough for that to happen, aren't contactless cards programmed such that the PIN number has to be inputted at predetermined number of uses otherwise the card auto-rejects the transactions? :blink:

• Like 1

Having worked in payments for years this was always going to be the way things moved

A business such as Wednesday will be paying significant bank charges for cash together with the cost of a security carrier. Add in a % of losses for pilfering which all retail businesses face and in theory if you are serving food and drink you should wear gloves when handling cash (rarely happens) 

Dont forget forgeries, businesses are liable for accepting any dodgy notes and according to stats over £400m of the old pound coins in circulation were fake

And only Mark Zuckerberg has enough money to buy one of our match tickets in cash ! 

Edited by Baldrick

On 07/04/2019 at 09:54, jonesy87shef said:

Pros and cons for both.

In theory card payments should be much quicker. Prevent human error with change etc. Also can stop employees pocketing a little on the side if they were that way inclined.

Downside is some people now won’t buy anything. It’s seemingly going slower. I’m relatively young and I prefer cash, I like to easily track what I’m spending and don’t like paying for small things on my card.

It’s a shame some of the kiosks are run so poorly. I was a supervisor on one for a season or two from 15-17. Couldn’t have been easier. Get there on time/early. Turn everything on. Stock up drinks first so they are actually cold. Cook the more popular things first and keep them hot, label everything up and certain things in same place, makes serving quicker. Track what you actually sell so you have enough stock for following games. Couldn’t have been an easier job. Never ran out, hardly any waste and surprisingly hardly any complaints. It’s easy and all about common sense. Somebody mentioned about 1 bottle opener, I get next match it’s still just 1 between 4.

I appreciate many people prefer cash.

I'm personally the other extreme prefer card/using my phone as less likely to buy something than if I had coins sat in wallet.

For tracking small amounts of money spent on a card/phone I use up an app called Yolt. Linked to my internet banking and categorises every penny I spend when using card/cash.

As I'm sure is obvious I much prefer card/phone payments. I even paid my colleague who runs the tea club via an internet banking transaction lol

16 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

I got no problem with "cashless", but, electronic transactions allow for an "in", to your accounts, same "in" as you use.  So, I use throw-away cards for electronic transactions, but never a real bank-account.  

My biggest problem with "cashless", is the ability to track transaction history.  And you know what that means?  It means you are going to be "Coventrated" with sales-pitches by phone, computer, paper-mail...an endless stream of "buy my product."  And I might have, bought the product, if the seller didn't invade my privacy. 

Cash transactions are faster, somebody in front of you always has a problem with their "card", which requires a team of experts from 30 different Nations in order to sort out, and there's always the ever-present possibility of being "hacked."  In the end though, "cashless" is a marketing ploy, now the market knows what you buy, how often, and everything about your transactions.  Use your "card" and get bombarded, on a nuclear level, with advertisements, every time you turn on your computer, phone, "smart" television, etc.

Sorry for the rant.

What a load of throw, how old are you 80?

• Like 1

Guest mkowl
1 hour ago, Baldrick said:

Having worked in payments for years this was always going to be the way things moved

A business such as Wednesday will be paying significant bank charges for cash together with the cost of a security carrier. Add in a % of losses for pilfering which all retail businesses face and in theory if you are serving food and drink you should wear gloves when handling cash (rarely happens) 

Dont forget forgeries, businesses are liable for accepting any dodgy notes and according to stats over £400m of the old pound coins in circulation were fake

And only Mark Zuckerberg has enough money to buy one of our match tickets in cash ! 

Great point in I wonder how many folk realise it costs money for a business to pay in cash to the bank.

Notwithstanding that someone has to count and reconcile the tills, store it securely over a weekend or walk to a cash deposit slot on a Saturday evening in the dark 

Yes the benefit is totally for the vendor