The Refusal by Sheffield Wednesday to accept Legal Tender.

9 hours ago, Rogers said:

It’s like some people have been transported in time from 1981 and they can’t get their heads around it. 

Serious mistrust in technology.

Contactless has been around for about 10 years hasn’t it!

I’d love this thread to continue until driverless electric cars come in. The seller of these cars will probably be burnt at the stake

There is literally nothing that will ever induce me to get into a driverless car.

Maybe at a push one of the Total Recall style ones with a humanoid robot that actually turns the steering wheel etc.  But one of the Herbie style possessed ones is right out.

• Like 1

Guest Hirst1867
9 hours ago, Sonny said:

My uncle doesn’t use cash machines because he doesn’t think they’re safe, as in he doesn’t trust the other people around him. This rules out the only cash machine in the village he lives in. He has to go three miles into town and get cash over the counter at the bank. To be fair he doesn’t mind doing that in the slightest and he’s a great guy. I’ll pay for him to get a drink on the North, no bother.

My Mum is exactly the same, gets the bus to Crystal Peaks (or gets me to take her) since they shut the bank where we live.

13 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

What a load of throw, how old are you 80?

I'm 61, retired engineer, electro-optics, believe me, I'm "up to date", just don't like all the tracking my purchases, and bombarding my mail with "buy my product."  No "doomsday" here,  I just don't like the all "buy my product, or I'll keep pestering you."   

12 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

There is literally nothing that will ever induce me to get into a driverless car.

Maybe at a push one of the Total Recall style ones with a humanoid robot that actually turns the steering wheel etc.  But one of the Herbie style possessed ones is right out.

Fall out of the pub straight into a driverless car what's not to like?

11 hours ago, np pontefract said:

Genuine question.

What have you got against individuals who Chose to use the Post office for the payment of gas and electric bills.

Surely, it's all about freedom of choice, or do you know better ?

Much simpler to set a direct debit up and it saves you money as you receive discounts. 

Also if getting on a bit you won't get mugged. 

10 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Much simpler to set a direct debit up and it saves you money as you receive discounts. 

That is your opinion.

Others may disagree.

All I ask, is that other opinions are Respected.

Edited by np pontefract
Clarification

27 minutes ago, bradowl said:

My missus and kids mug me every time I go to the cash point . 

14 hours ago, Hirst1867 said:

Pulled from the internet in a couple of mins - just a few retailers who dont impose the £30 limit

• Apple Store
  • Blackpool Tram Shop
  • Five Guys
  • Honest Burgers
  • IKEA
  • Marks and Spencer
  • Nando’s
  • Pizza Express
  • Sainsbury’s
  • Sandcastle Waterpark in Blackpool
  • Selfridges
  • UNIQLO

thats not a contactless CARD list though is it.. Its an ApplePay/GooglePay list. Thats a different matter - you've proved the cardholder is present by using your fingerprint to access the card. 

The BANKS impose the 30limit on your card.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2019 at 08:20, Hirst1867 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/contactless-card-fraud-increase-money-security-bank-account-a8722361.html

Data quietly released this week shows the instances of thefts relating to contactless cards doubled in just 10 months last year, according to Action Fraud, the national reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime.

Up from 1,440 cases worth £711,000 over the same period in 2017 to around 2,740 cases worth almost £1.8m in 2018, the average amount stolen last year was more than £650. One case investigated by police reported a £400,000 loss after a card was used multiple times.

The 2018 cases, recorded between April 2017 and January 2018, represent more than half of all the reports of contactless-related fraud investigated by the City of London Police alone, which runs Action Fraud, since 2013

Man posts news article to back up argument, only to find argument entirely disproved by same article

"all the verified cases of fraud involving contactless cards occurred when the card had been taken from or lost by its owner and used to make contactless purchases. The truth is that the bus skimming scenario is pretty unlikely."

14 hours ago, Hirst1867 said:

Pulled from the internet in a couple of mins - just a few retailers who dont impose the £30 limit

• Apple Store
  • Blackpool Tram Shop
  • Five Guys
  • Honest Burgers
  • IKEA
  • Marks and Spencer
  • Nando’s
  • Pizza Express
  • Sainsbury’s
  • Sandcastle Waterpark in Blackpool
  • Selfridges
  • UNIQLO

Most card suppliers impose the limit, from Barclays for instance.

For UK transactions there is no daily limit on contactless payments, however there is a limit of £30 per transaction and you need to have enough money in your account to cover the cost of your purchase.

17 minutes ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

Do the club accept Bartercard?

:duntmatter:

They take Abdicard.

The good thing about Abdicard is it's made out of biscuit so if you can't buy the food at the kiosks, you can eat the card instead.

:Chansiri:

• Haha 1