Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

17 minutes ago, flash said:

Albert Adomah leaving Villa as his contracts expired. 

Not sure if Bruce had anything to do with him signing for them but could be interested. 

On a 1 year contract he's a good player. However I doubt he'd accept that as I'm sure someone somewhere would offer him more. Obviously we know we want younger players anyway but I'd take Adomah over a Downing for example. He's got the right attributes and has played consistently for Villa for a few years. 

Would still rather have a younger winger aswell. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:28, Birley Owl 1867 said:

What experience do we have though? 

Westwood not signed yet.

Experienced pros in Boyd, Jones and Hooper left us.

Lees experienced but can't play alongside an inexperienced guy. Main reason cos he isn't good enough as a leader/trainer.

A few youngsters guys is what we need of course and we all agree, but we need experience to carry us through. Bruce will know that more than most. 

lees isn't a leader and yet bruce as him as captain …..I find it hard to believe that bruce wouldn't sign or play a young centre back because he doesn't have faith in his captain or that if he did he'd  drop lees coz he wouldn't be able to train the young lad up …... lees as  captained the side under 4 managers they cant all be wrong .

13 minutes ago, torryowl said:

lees isn't a leader and yet bruce as him as captain …..I find it hard to believe that bruce wouldn't sign or play a young centre back because he doesn't have faith in his captain or that if he did he'd  drop lees coz he wouldn't be able to train the young lad up …... lees as  captained the side under 4 managers they cant all be wrong .

I don't think Tom Lees has been first choice captain under 4 managers. Steve Bruce has barely got his feet under the desk and inherited Lees as default captain. Be interesting to see what happens when Bruce has a few credible alternatives.

From what I have seen I think captaincy effects Tom Lees game as he appears much more solid when he doesn't have the added responsibility.

31 minutes ago, NYowl said:

I don't think Tom Lees has been first choice captain under 4 managers. Steve Bruce has barely got his feet under the desk and inherited Lees as default captain. Be interesting to see what happens when Bruce has a few credible alternatives.

From what I have seen I think captaincy effects Tom Lees game as he appears much more solid when he doesn't have the added responsibility.

he's captained the team under 4 different managers …… to me it's  ridiculous to suggest that he isn't a leader when 4 managers who worked with him every day are happy for him to lead the side ….I don't know what you are seeing that they don't .

19 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

What do you reckon about this lad? Son of ex L**ds player Alf-Inge Haaland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48465037

Seems to know where the net is (mind you it was Honduras). Out of our price bracket?

Honduras is out of my price bracket, I have to make do with a few days in the caravan :Sid:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

he's captained the team under 4 different managers …… to me it's  ridiculous to suggest that he isn't a leader when 4 managers who worked with him every day are happy for him to lead the side ….I don't know what you are seeing that they don't .

I think some can’t get past the fact that Lees doesn’t seem to be a captain in the old fashioned sense. Clearly he’s a consummate professional and as various managers get to see him close up and in ways we just don’t I have to agree with you.

Thats not to say we won’t make a change if SB thinks it improves us.

Edited by Morepork

16 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I think some can’t get past the fact that Lees doesn’t seem to be a captain in the old fashioned sense. Clearly he’s a consummate professional and as various managers get to see him close up and in ways we just don’t I have to agree with you.

Thats not to say we won’t make a change if SB thinks it improves us.

i think your right , whether someone is a better captain when they pump there fist and are demonstrative for all to see  are better than someone who as the respect of there team mates I couldn't say.....ive always thought the best captains lead by example rather than pandering to the fans with shows of passion but judging by the number of threads and posts we have complaining about lees perhaps i'm in the minority .  .  

• Like 1

With Tom lees o thinks the about the behind scenes captaincy. He will have the ultimate focus in all training and be a model pro. Lees won’t be a drinker. Solid professional and we have the vocals on the pitch bannan, Westwood Hutchinson fletcher they are all big talkers and winners no one there needs to motivated

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

Lees is a good, reliable player IF he has a decent centre half next to him.

As for captaincy... nobody else stands out. Which is probably indicative itself.

3 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

What do you reckon about this lad? Son of ex L**ds player Alf-Inge Haaland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48465037

Seems to know where the net is (mind you it was Honduras). Out of our price bracket?

Sadly yes - he’s at Red Bull Salzburg, which he’ll be using as a springboard to a big Bundesliga club, or others in Europe’s top flights. The only chance we’d have of getting him is if his development stalled.

6 hours ago, fpowl said:

With Tom lees o thinks the about the behind scenes captaincy. He will have the ultimate focus in all training and be a model pro. Lees won’t be a drinker. Solid professional and we have the vocals on the pitch bannan, Westwood Hutchinson fletcher they are all big talkers and winners no one there needs to motivated

We don’t have a really obvious candidate for the captaincy For me, Lees gets the job, because, as others have said, he’s the the ultimate professional, plays at the back, and rarely misses a game. If things are going well, he does a decent job.

The downside is, he’s not an inspirational captain, in a tub thumbing way, and he doesn’t take responsibility for organising the defence. This doesn’t matter so much when Westwood is playing, as he seems to take charge. In short, he’s generally a solid and dependable player, but, if a player comes along who offers more in the captaincy role, I’m sure he’d be happy to stand aside. He could then be given the role of squad captain

7 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Lees is a good, reliable player IF he has a decent centre half next to him.

As for captaincy... nobody else stands out. Which is probably indicative itself.

I’d give the captaincy to Bannan

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.