Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

10 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I’d give the captaincy to Bannan

Maybe. Only concern is that adds to his propensity to try to do too much.

Part of me thinks Hutchinson for club captain, in the vain hope it might make him grow up, plus he will miss a good part of the season anyway so ‘club captain’ keeps him involved.

22 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Its quite possible Bale is on more than their entire squad put together.

Can just imagine Guardiola coming out after getting hammered by the Blavdes. "Some of their players are on £600K a week".

:tango:

• Haha 1

Why are people getting agitated over whether or not Tom Lees is captain material or not?

What is the role of a captain?

To me, nowadays, it's not much more than ceremonial: lead the team out, coin throw, photo. Add primary contact for the ref and you're down to non-match stuff, again, a communication channel between players and coaches when players feel they can't go direct (a sign that things are amiss). Not much really.

You might add that the captain should be a leader on the pitch. Tom Lees certainly leads by example in that he gives his all, but he's limited in organising the back line, let alone the rest of the team, and limited in his motivational skills. Whilst motivation takes much more than ranting and raving, especially with inexperienced players, in the heat of a match a quick chastisement and forceful directing is often essential. Lees seems too timid, too nice, to do this.

Other than Westwood, and occassionally Bannan and Hutchinson, we don't have enough of the Sergeant Mayor or "future coach" type of leader on the pitch. We need more. Ideally we need two or three outfield players plus Westwood able to do this. But they don't have to be captain to do it. Indeed, it's probably better if they aren't. I'm all for bringing in more players with leadership qualities, as long as they bring other talents as well, but whilst he keeps playing well, there is no reason to take the captaincy from Tom Lees.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

Totally agree.

Unfortunately, I can't see us bringing him back.

Chansiri has a decent track record of bringing in his desired target.

I agree that others will be sniffing though.

Let's see. We need him. 

• Haha 1

We also need somebody who knows how to manage the referee and get in his ear in the right way.

Last season Bannan was talking to the ref most games but he just upsets them and if anything it works against us.

Bruce’s teams have a track record of doing this and it does seem to be advantageous if done right 

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

i think your right , whether someone is a better captain when they pump there fist and are demonstrative for all to see  are better than someone who as the respect of there team mates I couldn't say.....ive always thought the best captains lead by example rather than pandering to the fans with shows of passion but judging by the number of threads and posts we have complaining about lees perhaps i'm in the minority .  .  

There have been games over the last couple of years where our heads have dropped when things went against us. I want to see a captain who won't let that happen, who will take charge on the pitch, sort out issues and drive the rest of the team on when everything seems hopeless.

Maybe we just need more 'captains' on the pitch, not officially appointed ones but players who have natural leadership abilities and drive. We seem to lack that as a team.

10 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

It’s a No, no & no from me..... 

Aston Villa have released Alan Hutton, Tommy Elphick and Albert Adomah.

I would like to see all 3 along with Charlie Adam, Darren Fletcher snd Stewart Downing :duntmatter:

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Bruce didn’t play Elphick and loaned him out. He fell out with Adomah so I’d be suprised of either of those were on the radar 

13 minutes ago, prowl said:

There have been games over the last couple of years where our heads have dropped when things went against us. I want to see a captain who won't let that happen, who will take charge on the pitch, sort out issues and drive the rest of the team on when everything seems hopeless.

Maybe we just need more 'captains' on the pitch, not officially appointed ones but players who have natural leadership abilities and drive. We seem to lack that as a team.

Agreed.

Our successful teams over the years have always had at least half a dozen leaders / characters on the pitch. 

We need some more 

17 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Use to rate Elphick a few years ago. Hutton is to old and will be on to much money. 

Edited by WalthamOwl