Under-23 departures confirmed

As title says, OS has just confirmed the players that have been released

Darren Moore has confirmed that decisions have been made on the immediate futures of Owls youngsters.

With a raft of Under-23s nearing the end of their contracts, Moore said he felt it fitting the players are told now to allow for potential moves elsewhere with the season still live.

Moore’s stance also opens the door for fresh faces coming into S6 during the closing stages of the 23s campaign.

He said: “We’ve made some decisions and I think it’s right that you give younger players the opportunity to go and play and secure contracts elsewhere.

“With the handful of games left in the Under-23s, it presents the opportunity for us to look at one or two potential targets to bring them in and put them in training sessions and games.”

The following players will be leaving Hillsborough upon the expiry of their current contracts:

Kwame Boateng, Alex Bonnington, Josh Dawodu, Lewis Farmer, Charles Hagan, Jaden Onen, Josh Render, Declan Thompson and Liam Waldock.

Sheffield Wednesday would like to thank all the young players for their services and wish them well for the future.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2022/march/owls-confirm-23s-departures/

• Haha 1

Must be gutting for Waldock in particular. Makes the first team bench a couple of times recently then finds himself surplus to requirements. That said if he had stayed he would more than likely have been loaned out and found himself in the same situation this time next year?

• Like 3

As above can't comment on any of their quality, but can comment on a very good and fair move by Moore. 

Gives them as much a chance as possible to gain interest before end of the season when literally thousands of players join the shop window. Credit due, can see why Moore is well talked of among players for how he handles them.

• Like 4

What’s the point of keeping them or any U23 for that matter. It’s not like they get a chance even when we’re down to bare bones. I mean we were crying out for a Defensive CM earlier in the season and we saw Bannan, Wing, Paterson, Byers all get a go in front of Waldock. Then we tried Brown as an attacking side forward in advance of Hagon and Adedoyun. 

I’m sure our youngsters wouldn’t have performed any worse, all whilst blooding them and seeing how they cope in League One. 

After the initial upset of getting relegated I was very excited to see some of those being released along with others such as Galvin and Hunt.

Ah well, I guess we’ll find out in a year or so if they were any good or not when someone else takes the punt on them.

• Like 6

Fair play to him announcing this ahead of time.

Gives the players some opportunities to show their potential to any other teams that might take a punt on them.

With Moore's connections and some of the U18 lads potentially stepping up next season, I have no doubt we'll adequately replace them.

• Like 2

Boateng and Onen I think we only just recently signed so that's a bit of a surprise as I thought we would have taken a good look at them as trialists earlier in the season. The others lads have all come up through the U18s and a few of them have been on the extreme fringes of the first team and whereas the heart always want to see them progress and flourish, the head says that the coaches are usually right and they aren't going to make it at this level with us. When I saw Hagan first play for the U18s (pre pandemic) I thought he looked like a real prospect so that's the one that disappoints the most. 

In any case good luck to them all in whatever they do next. 

• Like 2