Under-23 departures confirmed

56 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I can only imagine that Moore is having a clear out in order to bring in some exciting youngsters like Dele Bashiru who have been released by premier league clubs

I think it’s more with a view to push on the very best of our current under 18 squad particularly 1st year scholars like Cadamarteri and Hall.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

We shall see in the next few years when the like of Cademateri gets released for not being deemed good enough. A player West Ham have been scouting.

When a team in the same city as us churns out youth player after youth player and all we do is release them. Then there has to either be something wrong with all the players in our part of the city, or the people employed to coach and improve them from good youth players into first team players.

Brennan broke into the first team this season but he back down behind the likes of Gibson, why was he not been sent out on loan to further develop him, instead he is back in the youth set up. 

I kind agree here. However, Gibson I really rate and am hoping the reason we have persisted in him is so we can sign him permanently. He was a big miss the other night.

But what your saying is right, Brennan when he has played has looked decent…. Yet in a 3 at the back system Moore would rather play Palmer Johnson and Paterson than Brennan if given the choice, despite Brennan being a CH and not looking out of his depth in the few mins he got. For me we’re short in center backs Brennan should have had a chance.

I kinda feel sorry for Waldock here too, as @malek said in a earlier post he’s the best player on that list, and we’re short of center midfielders after our first choice 3, yet the other week he shoe horns Hunt in there and brings on Brennan. Why is he not giving him a chance in a team that is winning, playing well and with confidence?? He can’t do any worse than them two. Now I’m not saying he’s good enough but you never know and there was a chance to find out which Moore wasn’t interested in. Again I’m not saying this is the wrong call maybe Waldock isn’t good but it baffles me as to why he wasn’t tried. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think it’s more with a view to push on the very best of our current under 18 squad particularly 1st year scholars like Cadamarteri and Hall.

That’s what they did last year with the under 18s !

Bonnington was scoring in the under 18s the year before at a good pace, then he’s hardly played or scored this year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malek said:

It is not a science fiction how to improve our youth development:

- pay development players better

- offer clear and realistic path to first team football

- develop best talents through first team football

- pick matchday squad based on quality, not on seniority and influence withing the team

I know you are a fanatic of our youth team but it is clear that none of them are good enough for first team football, so the team has been picked on quality.

And as for pay dev players better lol are you there Dad or something? They get paid more than handsomely for the potential they harbour.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

That’s what they did last year with the under 18s !

Bonnington was scoring in the under 18s the year before at a good pace, then he’s hardly played or scored this year 

The difference is Cadamarteri  and Hall will still be U18s next year. Moore wants them to spend their second season as U18s playing in the U23s so in effect a year early. Bonnington had done his two years at U18 and this year was an U23 by virtue of age. Next season Hall and Cadamarteri  may just play occasionally  for u18s ie FA Youth Cup.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

The difference is Cadamarteri  and Hall will still be U18s next year. Moore wants them to spend their second season as U18s playing in the U23s so in effect a year early. Bonnington had done his two years at U18 and this year was an U23 by virtue of age. Next season Hall and Cadamarteri  may just play occasionally  for u18s ie FA Youth Cup.

Which is good but what happens then…. If say Cadamateri doesn’t score at under 23 level next year do we then release him like Bonnington ??

Or what happens if he does, will he get a chance in the first team? Moore hasn’t exactly shown he’s willing to give them a go. 

• Like 2

Render and Waldock were nailed on to leave after failing to make an impact on the first-team by age 22. They will be 23 next year, by which point they should've really had some good first team football. 

Boateng was an odd signing when we made it, but did look good in the bits and pieces I saw. Again though, at 23, he would now be overage so if not good enough for first team, then it makes sense to cut ties.

Very surprised about Onen as he only joined a couple of months back, so it begs the question why we made that deal in the first place.

Will be interested to see what happens to Alex Hunt this summer, and where these guys end up.

8 hours ago, Paul.. said:

So I see it as one of two things:

1. Major cost cutting exercise.

2. Big clearout to make room for a bunch of exciting prospects that Moore's been able to use his connections to secure...

It was a very young u23’s who played blades other day.

*beat

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I can only imagine that Moore is having a clear out in order to bring in some exciting youngsters like Dele Bashiru who have been released by premier league clubs

That’s deffo the way to go..anybody getting released by city Utd lpool etc will be a lot better than the players we have had for years...I’ve been in the academy system..it’s bizzare goin up to Sunderland on a Sunday morning at under 10 and under 11 age groups..streamline it..wudnt have any teams till 14/15 year olds

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Which is good but what happens then…. If say Cadamateri doesn’t score at under 23 level next year do we then release him like Bonnington ??

Or what happens if he does, will he get a chance in the first team? Moore hasn’t exactly shown he’s willing to give them a go. 

Cadamarteri will only technically be a 2nd year scholar next year so at the end of next season he would'nt  be released based on his U23 performances. The fact that he would be in the U23s regularly as an U18 puts him ahead of the usual curve. If I had to predict anything I would say he will turn pro in the Summer when he has turned 17 and probably get a two year deal, possibly three. Bear in mind that the first year of that is still really the second year of his scholarship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

If he can't score for the U23's, then he's not ready for the first team. You either give him a second year to find his feet or release him. 

As someone said earlier, around 96% of academy footballers won't have a professional football career. It's an extremely harsh environment but clubs cannot simply afford to hoard players on the off-chance that one day they may become good enough.

If Bailey is good enough, he'll show that. The fact that he's already floating around the U23 setup suggests the club rate him quite highly and I'd expect him to get plenty of opportunities and development.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

I don't see why you would be shocked.im disappointed  for him because he has come close but not quite made it and been a great servant to our Under Age teams. But when you get to 21/22 and have not played a single league game it's probably time to move on. When did Brian say this. At 15 he probably was the best around but is no guarantee at all that you will make a professional.

He says it every time he comes on and talks about Wednesday. He's literally said he's out best midfielder at the club, let alone under 23's.

He also said he should have been in the squad for a game earlier this season when he was out on loan, so a massive pinch of salt needed with everything he says really. Something that the presenter at the time failed to point out which was annoying.

• Like 1

Dawodu and Thompson both showed early promise but never really kicked on.

Feel really sorry for Waldock.......seen him play on quite a few occasions and IMHO should have had a chance ahead of Dele Bashiru who, far from being an "exciting youngster" has been bang average for me and appears under-motivated most of the time , he`s still young however and hopefully the penny will drop.

As for Waldock , be interesting to see how his career goes.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I kind agree here. However, Gibson I really rate and am hoping the reason we have persisted in him is so we can sign him permanently. He was a big miss the other night.

But what your saying is right, Brennan when he has played has looked decent…. Yet in a 3 at the back system Moore would rather play Palmer Johnson and Paterson than Brennan if given the choice, despite Brennan being a CH and not looking out of his depth in the few mins he got. For me we’re short in center backs Brennan should have had a chance.

I kinda feel sorry for Waldock here too, as @malek said in a earlier post he’s the best player on that list, and we’re short of center midfielders after our first choice 3, yet the other week he shoe horns Hunt in there and brings on Brennan. Why is he not giving him a chance in a team that is winning, playing well and with confidence?? He can’t do any worse than them two. Now I’m not saying he’s good enough but you never know and there was a chance to find out which Moore wasn’t interested in. Again I’m not saying this is the wrong call maybe Waldock isn’t good but it baffles me as to why he wasn’t tried. 

Because he knows he’s not good enough.

• Haha 2

It is key to see in what direction We will go now because if We continue to recruit from the same pool We will be back in the same situation in a year or two. 

Pleased with what Moore said on the topic and I feel fairly optimistic right now. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, HootHoot said:

If he can't score for the U23's, then he's not ready for the first team. You either give him a second year to find his feet or release him. 

As someone said earlier, around 96% of academy footballers won't have a professional football career. It's an extremely harsh environment but clubs cannot simply afford to hoard players on the off-chance that one day they may become good enough.

If Bailey is good enough, he'll show that. The fact that he's already floating around the U23 setup suggests the club rate him quite highly and I'd expect him to get plenty of opportunities and development.

This is the worry. If he gets the opportunities then great. We don’t seem to give them out