Under-23 departures confirmed

52 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This is the worry. If he gets the opportunities then great. We don’t seem to give them out 

He should get plenty with the departure of quite a few of the U23's. He's been on the bench for them a few times already this season so he's making progress.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HootHoot said:

He should get plenty with the departure of quite a few of the U23's. He's been on the bench for them a few times already this season so he's making progress.

I hope your right. Just look at Bonnington who scored a few for the under 18s and even a couple for the 23s the year before. Stepped up full time this year and hasn’t played many games then is released at 18. 

Just hoping it doesn’t happen with others 

On 16/03/2022 at 13:13, moyaowl said:

As title says, OS has just confirmed the players that have been released

Darren Moore has confirmed that decisions have been made on the immediate futures of Owls youngsters.

With a raft of Under-23s nearing the end of their contracts, Moore said he felt it fitting the players are told now to allow for potential moves elsewhere with the season still live.

Moore’s stance also opens the door for fresh faces coming into S6 during the closing stages of the 23s campaign.

He said: “We’ve made some decisions and I think it’s right that you give younger players the opportunity to go and play and secure contracts elsewhere.

“With the handful of games left in the Under-23s, it presents the opportunity for us to look at one or two potential targets to bring them in and put them in training sessions and games.”

The following players will be leaving Hillsborough upon the expiry of their current contracts:

Kwame Boateng, Alex Bonnington, Josh Dawodu, Lewis Farmer, Charles Hagan, Jaden Onen, Josh Render, Declan Thompson and Liam Waldock.

Sheffield Wednesday would like to thank all the young players for their services and wish them well for the future.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2022/march/owls-confirm-23s-departures/

This club has a great history of destroying talent doesn’t it? Off the top of my head there’s Luke Hall, Corey Glaves, Charles Hagan, Alex Bonnington, Dec Thompson, all of whom were very talented and would have definitely had a future in the game if they were developed properly in my opinion. Then with last years U18’s they released all defenders even though I’m sure I read somewhere they had best form in league, kept the forwards (till now) but had lowest goals scored? Can’t make it up.

18 minutes ago, DonnyOwl1965 said:

This club has a great history of destroying talent doesn’t it? Off the top of my head there’s Luke Hall, Corey Glaves, Charles Hagan, Alex Bonnington, Dec Thompson, all of whom were very talented and would have definitely had a future in the game if they were developed properly in my opinion. Then with last years U18’s they released all defenders even though I’m sure I read somewhere they had best form in league, kept the forwards (till now) but had lowest goals scored? Can’t make it up.

Results of the team are totally irrelevant though really

It's whether or not individuals within that unit can develop and become what we need individually

Whilst it's great to win every game at younger levels it's not really about that in the grand scheme of things

Things like form or lowest goals scored etc - they are great but not what is being looked at/for

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

I dont know why we bother with the younger teams 

Weve not had someone come out from there and do well in the first team in years

People wont like this but we Need to be  looking at why united get decent players in their academy every year and our greatest success is liam palmer (no disrespect to liam ) and compete 

I think we have a tendency to only really produce defenders or hard working midfielders. Thinking here of Wood, Bromby, Spurr, Beevers, McCallister, McMahon, Shaw, Brennan over the years.

George Hirst would’ve got his chance but other than that you’re going back to Morrison, Quinn, Humphreys for attackers who were brought into the youth set up and made it through. Hopefully that changes with Davidson, Cadermarteri and Zottos in the near future but we have to be prepared to give them a try.

As others have said, players like Wing have cost good money and have been completely passive. Some of these younger players have no fear and want to make a name for themselves. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Apart from Liam Palmer etc?

Palmer made his full team debut 12 years ago 

So like I said weve not had anyone come through in years 

1 success in 12 years ain't great is it 

• Like 1

Just now, Luke said:

Palmer made his full team debut 12 years ago 

So like I said weve not had anyone come through in years 

1 success in 12 years ain't great is it 

Yeah true
I don't know what the answer is

Hopefully newer facilities and training ground options will help

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

We've heard a number of times that there wasn't real investment in the youth set up in the past, and so this would hamper our development of young up and coming players - also, other clubs that have invested are ahead of us in being able to take on these youngsters. Not every kid is going to make it though, unfortunately, but if you don't try you don't know.

Trying to turn the academy in to a successful arm of the club will be challenging, but this isn't going to happen overnight and will take time. I think the chances have to be taken and hopefully, in the not too distant future we start to see more players coming through the academies and in to the first team.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah true
I don't know what the answer is

Hopefully newer facilities and training ground options will help

Yes that's a major priority but scouting also needs sorting ,I have no idea who our scouts are but they need to buck their ideas up 

I dont understand how a 2 club city as one club that is one of most successful academies in the country, meanwhile we just continue to waste money and time every year on players who have zero chance of developing into the first team 

Just think of the money we wasted on david jones,george boyd,van aken, rhodes ect

That could have financed the youth project 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, moyaowl said:

We've heard a number of times that there wasn't real investment in the youth set up in the past, and so this would hamper our development of young up and coming players - also, other clubs that have invested are ahead of us in being able to take on these youngsters. Not every kid is going to make it though, unfortunately, but if you don't try you don't know.

Trying to turn the academy in to a successful arm of the club will be challenging, but this isn't going to happen overnight and will take time. I think the chances have to be taken and hopefully, in the not too distant future we start to see more players coming through the academies and in to the first team.

I dont think chansiri has any interest in the academy 

Building decent training facilities doesn't effort ffp and he has shown zero effort into improving it 

If it wasnt for reading on here ,I wouldn't even know we had a academy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DonnyOwl1965 said:

The reality is Luke Hall never shone at U18 level.  Corey Glaves a year after leaving, theres no mention of him playing anywhere.  Charles Hagan never really stepped up at U23 level and stuggled to get a game at Hampton and Richmond. Bonnington seems to have struggled at U23 level and Thompson is well down the pecking order and has had two years as a pro.  Last years back four and keeper at U18s, I think three are in The United States .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Building decent training facilities doesn't effort ffp and he has shown zero effort into improving it 

So boring

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Luke said:

Maybe Chansiri does, maybe he doesn't but going on what is being reported and reading interviews with Moore, he (Moore) is interested in developing youth and having them involved with the first team, most recently Pierce Charles has been highlighted on the OS (https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2022/march/young-owls-shot-stopper-on-track/) a promising keeper.

There are others that have been involved and that to me says that things are heading in a different direction and it could just be, we do find that gem from the academy that makes it in to the first team.

Edited by moyaowl

The best kids get snapped up by other clubs - no parent of a really talented kid is bringing him to us. We should take the premier league castoffs versus wasting time with kids who are clearly not the right material. It’s not like they make it elsewhere after leaving us - Vardy being the massive exception 

8 hours ago, DonnyOwl1965 said:

Did you think any were going to make it? Unfortunately if they were good enough they’d be in and around the first team or performing well out on loan. They’re not. They were never going to make the grade here, however harsh that sounds.

The only one I was slightly surprised about is Waldock. But then is he ever going to get in ahead of Bannan, Byers, Luongo, Dele-Bashiru, Adenarin, Hunt? 

Nope. Hunt is a player we decided to keep and he can’t even get a game for Oldham. 

• Like 1

People need to stop talking about things like facilities and stuff - some of the worlds best ever players didn't ever get to train on pitches our kids are used to - or in anything approaching a gym - nor with the sports science, nutrition and medical support available to academy kids

It's a mindset and culture - and yes, getting the right people in place is important but can be costly

Recruitment is 90% of the battle imo - basic input/output - if you don't get the right talent in then you've no chance of turning them into players

Even with everything in place it's still a hefty challenge - very few of the players in academies will get to play at the level of the academy they play for - it's around 1%

Now take away the top producing academies who over-achieve based on those stats - Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Saints - and that 1% diminishes rapidly

People also need to realise that at every academy (even the best) there are "no-hopers" and are basically there because academies need to field teams to play games

So, players are often kept on not because they are thought to have a chance of making the first team - or even a pro career - but they fill shirts and allow the fancied players to go on loan etc

It's also much more difficult for clubs further down the ladder - even Cat 1 academies - due to the EPPP making it a charter to poach players for minimal payments

It's such a low-risk venture that clubs can afford to take players on a whim - on the off-chance

An example was Alex Oxlade-Chambelain who went from Saints for around £12m - if Arsenal had bought him a season or two later under the tariff system the fee would have been around £250k

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, scram said:

Recruitment is 90% of the battle imo - basic input/output - if you don't get the right talent in then you've no chance of turning them into players.

An example around the recruitment, my lad plays in the Sheffield League for an under 7 team.

Its the youngest age group so the teams aren’t initially sorted by ability.

Before Xmas they won every single match.

So after Xmas they’ve been grouped with the other teams that won every match and subsequently they’ve lost a couple. But I’d guess they’re in the best 4 or 5 teams in the league.

Sheff Utd and Derby obviously know this because they’ve invited them for friendlies on three and two occasions respectively.

It gives the players in their pre-academy matches against decent players and it allows them to keep tabs on the good local players. All their coaches are always making notes.

Tables aren’t produced at that age so the only way these clubs could’ve known they were a good team is by speaking to the league and asking who was winning all their matches.

We’ve never heard anything from Wednesday whereas Derby and United already have these players names and a few notes on them.

It comes to something when Derby appear to have a better grip of the young players in the Sheffield league than Wednesday.

• Like 5