Under-23 departures confirmed

27 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

This has always been the case and is at all clubs . Every club gets rid of lots of young players every year. It's a conveyor belt. Every year to make room for U18s that have moved up players will be released. You can't keep everyone.  It's not financially viable and you would just stockpile playets.

But we dont keep any, only Brennan has been given a first team chance and as i mentioned that was the very last resort by Moore. He clearly does not value the youth players.

We waste wages on Brown, Gibson, Wing to name a few when we could have given youth a chance, i dont buy this Moore knows best rubbish. A few of the released players Moore signed this season, we had EPL clubs sniffling around for Hagan know he is not good enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You're dramatically and significantly overreacting

We shall see in the next few years when the like of Cademateri gets released for not being deemed good enough. A player West Ham have been scouting.

When a team in the same city as us churns out youth player after youth player and all we do is release them. Then there has to either be something wrong with all the players in our part of the city, or the people employed to coach and improve them from good youth players into first team players.

Brennan broke into the first team this season but he back down behind the likes of Gibson, why was he not been sent out on loan to further develop him, instead he is back in the youth set up. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, room0035 said:

But we dont keep any, only Brennan has been given a first team chance and as i mentioned that was the very last resort by Moore. He clearly does not value the youth players.

We waste wages on Brown, Gibson, Wing to name a few when we could have given youth a chance, i dont buy this Moore knows best rubbish. A few of the released players Moore signed this season, we had EPL clubs sniffling around for Hagan know he is not good enough.

Depends what you mean by keep. Long term, no, they eventually fall by the wayside and don't make the first team but out of the U23s this season there are 9 released today but still half the squad will be here next season plus any U18s that get pro contracts. When we signed 14 players in the Summer it was clear that youth wasn't  going to get a chance. I would rather have signed 7 or 8 and used some of our own but it doesn't  happen as they are not deemed good enough. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, room0035 said:

That with Hagan seemed odd at the time. Sounded like agent talk. Was never seen as anything special and we only gave him a one year contract. Struggled on loan this season at Hampton. Stood out physically at U18s but different story the higher you go.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Can't imagine how these lads must be feeling, particularly those that may be Wednesday fans.

Yes I feel for Waldock particularly. Been here years, 5 seasons in u23s, on the bench quite a few times this season and never got on once in the League. Leaves having played in a couple of Cup ties last couple of seasons.

After a season in L1 where we have been down to the bare bones, none of them have really taken the opportunity to step up and look like they are first team ready. 

While I know little about them, have to trust Moore's assesment, given his background and see what he does in terms of recruitment for next season. 

While gutting for those leaving, pleased that the club has acted early to give them opportunity and support to get fixed up at new clubs. 

Wish them well in their careers and look forward to our new intake of u23s. 

• Like 7

We’re coming towards a crossroads with regards to our Academy. Some teams from our competition like Leeds, Forest and Birmingham have all stepped up

to Cat 1 Level recently.  I don’t think it will be long before United and Barnsley do the same We have to decide whether or not we want to be left behind and I think these recent moves suggest we want to be more productive with regards to youth development than we have been in the past. With the recent talk by DC of looking to improve the Training Facilities sometime in the future, I would expect better Youth Academy facilities to form part of the plans going forward?

• Like 6

It is not a science fiction how to improve our youth development:

- pay development players better

- offer clear and realistic path to first team football

- develop best talents through first team football

- pick matchday squad based on quality, not on seniority and influence withing the team

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

After a season in L1 where we have been down to the bare bones, none of them have really taken the opportunity to step up and look like they are first team ready.

Ok, who got the chance and let the team down ?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

You do talk some tripe womb0035. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1