Under-23 departures confirmed

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Shocked to see Hagan leave, remember the boys at The Star reporting half the premier league wanted him before he signed that new deal. 

Shocked? He's done very little since U18s. Couldn't get a game on loan at Hampton and Richmond.

• Like 1

Never seen any of them play but the mere fact that a few of them have been in and around the first team squad for a couple of years without making the breakthrough strongly suggests they haven’t developed how we’d have hoped and that it’s a fair decision.

I wonder who the last player was that we let go from the u23s/reserves purely for the reason of not being good enough, who went on to prove us wrong by having a career at a similar or better level 

• Like 2

Is it time we got rid of the under 23s? 

Create a B team instead like Brentford and Huddersfield have done to name just 2. 

This way you can arrange your own friendlies, as well as playing teams from different countries. 

After under 18s you should be looking at getting out on loan anyway which is something Moore has been quite good at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Slightly surprised Waldock, Hagan and Render are getting released. 

Not surprised at all. Feel sorry for Waldock as been on bench for first team recently without getting on but 22 this year and been in U23s 5 years. Hagan done nothing since U18s and struggled at Hampton and Richmond on loan. Render also 22 and probably behind Jackson and Hall in U23 set up let alone three first team keepers. 6th choice at 22 didn't  look great for him.

• Like 1

It’ll be interesting to see the line-ups for the remaining under23/18 fixtures for this season? As I posted yesterday, this is the start of the Youth Academy turnaround IMO. This is one area I expect Moore to ask for greater support/investment from the Chairman and a reason why Moore should be given time in the managers seat here.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, malek said:

Radical changes had to be made if We are ever to produce Genuine first team players. It is a big positive that Moore and academy coaches recognized how things didn't worked out and must be changes.

Only player I'm bit surprised found himself on this list is Boateng whom (if I remember right) Moore spoke highly of and I expected to get another year. Then again, there is no point in bringing 20 years old players to play development football.

In my opinion Waldock is by a mile best player on that list, but next season He will be 22 and We showed  0 intent of using him. After Brennan came of the bench couple of weeks ago to cover in midfield before him it was a clear sign that He will leave.

Interesting that We released only one first year pro and it was Alex Bonnington who for whatever reason played very little this season.

Yes I think that was the final straw for Waldock. I hate it when  a young player has been on the bench a lot of times without getting on and ends up never making a league appearance for us.  Happened with Ben Hughes a couple of years ago.  At least Liam played in the cup so can always say he played for the Wednesday  first team. Boating is 23 so next year would have had to play for U23s as an over age player which wouldn't be ideal if we wanted to play injured or fringe players. This may have influenced the decision to let him go. I think the 1st year pros were on 1 year contracts possibly  with 1 year extension so Bonnington the only one to miss out on renewal or extension like you say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

Shocked? He's done very little since U18s. Couldn't get a game on loan at Hampton and Richmond.

That story seemed a bit odd at the time. He wasn't seen as outstanding  and we were only willing to give him a one year contract. Seemed like agents stirring the pot to.me.

So we sign players from other team academies then release them and people have confidence in Moore knowing what he is doing.

Most people said Onen was complete gash, but Moore signed him after having him on trial for months.

I dont have a lot of confidence Moore could pick a talent youngster if the lad ran into him.

brennan only got a chance after a left winger and full back were played out of position and the lad did very well, since then he has not got on the team, yet the useless Brown is on the bench most weeks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Either all of our youth players are rubbish or the standard of coaches we have compared to other teams is not good enough.

We need to get rid of the ex players and get in some proper youth coaches with experience of developing young talent into first team talent, the current lot have for years produced nothing, and this yearly youth clear out is getting more than a little embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Either all of our youth players are rubbish or the standard of coaches we have compared to other teams is not good enough.

We need to get rid of the ex players and get in some proper youth coaches with experience of developing young talent into first team talent, the current lot have for years produced nothing, and this yearly youth clear out is getting more than a little embarrassing.

You're dramatically and significantly overreacting

• Like 5

Owlstalk Shop

I`m shocked that Waldock has not been  kept , can remember "Brian the Blade" on Praise or Grumble saying he was the best midfielder  in his age group in Sheffield and was mortified when he went into our youth set up. 

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

This has always been the case and is at all clubs . Every club gets rid of lots of young players every year. It's a conveyor belt. Every year to make room for U18s that have moved up players will be released. You can't keep everyone.  It's not financially viable and you would just stockpile playets.

1 minute ago, Tarquin said:

I`m shocked that Waldock has not been  kept , can remember "Brian the Blade" on Praise or Grumble saying he was the best midfielder  in his age group in Sheffield and was mortified when he went into our youth set up. 

I don't see why you would be shocked.im disappointed  for him because he has come close but not quite made it and been a great servant to our Under Age teams. But when you get to 21/22 and have not played a single league game it's probably time to move on. When did Brian say this. At 15 he probably was the best around but is no guarantee at all that you will make a professional.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

Can’t comment on the players concerned, but if DM took the active lead in the decision making process, then I’m not unhappy at all. 

In DM we trust - for the time being anyway !

Needs to get rid otherwise he'd have a bigger squad to choose from, and as we all know he chops and changes and makes a pigs ear out of it