Relegation a blessing in disguise

Guest Garryswfcowl72

I'm firmly in the camp of promotion is ALWAYS a good thing.

99% of the time I'm firmly in the camp of relegation is ALWAYS a bad thing.

However, given the seemingly dramatic change to how our owner is actually hiring experts and empowering them I'm willing to say that if it continues this way...then it will have been a good thing.

After the last few seasons of Chansiri going nuts and absolute drainers of managers like Jos and Monk I'm definitely keeping them crossed that relegation has led us towards a new dawn.

If it has, then I think we'll be in better shape for going down.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

But DM could have done all this stuff without us getting relegated

But could he though? Don’t get me wrong relegation was a body blow for our club and we may struggle to get out of this division, but dropping a level has definitely forced decisions that otherwise might have been difficult to make if we’d stayed in the Championship.

From my perspective our club seemed to be rotting from within over the last few years and the awful wasting of finances was sickening. It now feels like the relegation has been almost cathartic and allowed DM to cut out the cancer that was killing the club. I feel confident that we’ll have a far more enjoyable and positive season, but even if we fail to gain promotion I quietly believe this journey will serve us and DC well in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm gonna be selfish here and state that i couldn't cope with another year fighting to finish 4th bottom in the Championship.

I'd much rather we finish 7th in League One than go through the drain of last season again.

• Like 9

I agree with the OP.

If we had stayed in the Champ with all the familiarity that would have entailed, we may have struggled to integrate the newer players quickly enough against the better quality opposition in the champ.

A couple of early setbacks and the groans and doubts would have surfaced with the pressure on the newer players mounting proportionally. (Even allowing for the endless patience our fans always exhibit) 😂😂 

The momentum we are now starting to gather would not have been possible in the champ.

There would have been the manager’s new regime, but otherwise business as normal.

It needed a complete re assessment, total re set & rebuild to form a successful platform & take the momentum forward from there.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but for me relegation was the best thing to happen to us the club’s  bottomed out & pressed the reset button on & off the pitch the green shoots of recovery are starting to appear .we’ve got a better younger more dynamic squad got rid of lazy big earners a manager that’s bought in to what the fans want bringing the fans back in love with the club again after a divide that’s been there for over 2-3 years with poor appointments & recruitment. Chansiri’s advisors taking a back step is a massive boost better ticketing & merchandise is also better it’s a long way back on the pitch but you can feel the positivity around the club growing daily Mr Chansiri needs to learn from past mistakes & put things in place that are sustainable on & of the pitch within our finances. Uto

I think mr C has learnt from past mistakes and thats why we are in this stronger position. I will be delighted for him, if these changes result in us going up

Being as far away as I am, only seen highlights of games so far, but have been impressed by some quality play so far. Much more urgent - more surging runs from midfield, especially Dennis, it seems a very positive style of football with Bannan playing fewer ‘quarter back’ passes from deep. Like many of you I’m much more optimistic and enthusiastic about this season now. I really hope the results stay favourable to keep the crowd numbers high at Hillsborough, it’s about time it really was a fortress where teams hate to come and play.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but for me relegation was the best thing to happen to us the club’s  bottomed out & pressed the reset button on & off the pitch the green shoots of recovery are starting to appear .we’ve got a better younger more dynamic squad got rid of lazy big earners a manager that’s bought in to what the fans want bringing the fans back in love with the club again after a divide that’s been there for over 2-3 years with poor appointments & recruitment. Chansiri’s advisors taking a back step is a massive boost better ticketing & merchandise is also better it’s a long way back on the pitch but you can feel the positivity around the club growing daily Mr Chansiri needs to learn from past mistakes & put things in place that are sustainable on & of the pitch within our finances. Uto

You honestly think we have bottomed out no where near.

The team on the pitch is looking better but we are playing a league below, we still have a lot of players on wages too big to sustain at this level I think moving on the likes of Patterson and Luongo would be good business as both do not fit into the dynamic approach we are hoping to play. If we get big offers in for other players, they need to be seriously considered instead of going back asking for silly amounts.

But the big cloud hanging over the club is we have had to sell our stadium to prevent getting a points deduction, to then get a points deduction that ultimately relegated us. Our Multi Millionaire chairman who had that much money but the rule prevented him from using it, then when the club needed this money took out a £6m mortgage against the stadium (to pay the day to day bills) that then needs repaying in full in the next few weeks. If this does not happen off the field issues could have very real consequences whether the team can get to the field to play games if we get locked out of Hillsborough.

We don't know if there is any finance behind the club or it is fans money paying for everything, we have season ticket holders still owed money from 2 seasons ago, relegation cost us probably in the region of £10m a season with tv money and lost income and we have not filed the last season accounts yet which could show another £20-30m loss that we could end up with sanctions for this also depending what can be classed as Covid affecting.

Yes the team has started better, the kits were available for the start of the season, ticket prices still need some work as the category system needs scrapping but they are more sensible for a northern England club outside of the top 2 divisions and yes there seems to be positives with the corporate side, basically they are charge sensible prices.

But none of this is world beating the other 91 professional clubs have been doing this for years, it has taken nearly 7 years for our owner to realise we are not in the Premier League and competing in European every season so you cannot charge the prices he wanted and expect people/businesses to pay them.

Lets take the positive that have happened but don't fall into the trap of thinking DC has suddenly work out how to run a football club, the only changes are DC appears to be having less involvement in the day to day of the football club, hence things are running smoother without his meddling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

You honestly think we have bottomed out no where near.

The team on the pitch is looking better but we are playing a league below, we still have a lot of players on wages too big to sustain at this level I think moving on the likes of Patterson and Luongo would be good business as both do not fit into the dynamic approach we are hoping to play. If we get big offers in for other players, they need to be seriously considered instead of going back asking for silly amounts.

But the big cloud hanging over the club is we have had to sell our stadium to prevent getting a points deduction, to then get a points deduction that ultimately relegated us. Our Multi Millionaire chairman who had that much money but the rule prevented him from using it, then when the club needed this money took out a £6m mortgage against the stadium (to pay the day to day bills) that then needs repaying in full in the next few weeks. If this does not happen off the field issues could have very real consequences whether the team can get to the field to play games if we get locked out of Hillsborough.

We don't know if there is any finance behind the club or it is fans money paying for everything, we have season ticket holders still owed money from 2 seasons ago, relegation cost us probably in the region of £10m a season with tv money and lost income and we have not filed the last season accounts yet which could show another £20-30m loss that we could end up with sanctions for this also depending what can be classed as Covid affecting.

Yes the team has started better, the kits were available for the start of the season, ticket prices still need some work as the category system needs scrapping but they are more sensible for a northern England club outside of the top 2 divisions and yes there seems to be positives with the corporate side, basically they are charge sensible prices.

But none of this is world beating the other 91 professional clubs have been doing this for years, it has taken nearly 7 years for our owner to realise we are not in the Premier League and competing in European every season so you cannot charge the prices he wanted and expect people/businesses to pay them.

Lets take the positive that have happened but don't fall into the trap of thinking DC has suddenly work out how to run a football club, the only changes are DC appears to be having less involvement in the day to day of the football club, hence things are running smoother without his meddling.

Christ,does the sun ever shine where you are.

1 hour ago, Gob_Bluth said:

But DM could have done all this stuff without us getting relegated

I do worry a little that as soon as Moore does something Chansiri doesn't like he gets the bullet and we are back to being run by a muppet. Its why we need a director of football - someone who does what Moore has done, but doesn't have the threat of sacking after 3 bad games hanging over them and so when a manager is replaced the culture continues, as it comes from the director of football. 

Edited by Daizan10
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Reading this thread I think some people believe Promotion is a forgone conclusion already this season after grinding out a 1-0 win v Fleetwood.

Some maybe, but I think most fans will be happy to see the club looking up rather than down. 

• Like 2