Relegation a blessing in disguise

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Guest mrbluesky
2 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

I totally agree.  Had we stopped up DC would have carried on in his own sweet way.  Relegation has shocked him into changing the running of the club.

Not strictly true, the EFL have stopped him.

It’s a good thing only in as much as it seems to have made our dear leader realise he lacked expertise/knowledge/intelligence/finances/humility etc to run this club on his own.

Looks like he’s had some sort of eureka moment and realised other people are making a better job of it than he himself had been doing. 

My only hope is that he doesn’t revert to type when back in the UK  and leaves Moore and the rest of the management to carry on rebuilding. It surely didn’t need relegation to force the penny to drop.

Guest Garryswfcowl72
2 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Christ,does the sun ever shine where you are.

It’s lovely weather outside the sun is shining 👍🏼

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Reading this thread I think some people believe Promotion is a forgone conclusion already this season after grinding out a 1-0 win v Fleetwood.

We didn't grind it out though. We played good stuff particularly first half and were comfortable. The only thing we need to do is be more clinical in front of goal, we'll easily create enough chances with this midfield.

The patterns of play and passing moves are looking so much better now than what we've seen for years, not since some of the Carlos days are we actually passing and moving into space like this (granted last few years have been total garbage so nothing much to compare with there) . We look solid at the back too which is always important if going for promotion.

• Thanks 1

It really does my nut in when people say this.

I bet it's the same ones that were saying it was a 'blessing in disguise' that we lost in the play off final in 2016. That worked out well didn't it!

Relegation from any division is never a good thing. I would rather us still be in the Championship and DM rebuilding us there into a mid table team this season and progressing the season after.

League 1 is a backwater. Hardly gets a mention in the media. Try and find some League 1 content on the BBC's website. It's way behind Women's football for coverage.

Our income from TV revenues etc. will be hugely reduced due to relegation too.

• Like 1

I don't know - would we have been able to bring in a higher calibre of players in the Championship, or would we probably have ended up with a squad very similar to what we have now? Is this one that could have been competetive, or would it have been another season of struggle hoping to just avoid relegation?

• Like 1

In hindsight it has its plus points...We will win more often (probably),,,and its made Chansiri realise he can't charge top whack for absolute crap...I doubt this was a bit of him giving back..I reckon he saw he had no choice,and maybe his his "Iknow little of football" comment has finally actually hit home...So he has left it up to Moore.

Relegation is never nice to suffer, but its great when you go up...lets hope that happens

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The costs on wages would have been £5m  + higher. No evidence to sugest that we would have had enhanced performace levels in League one.

We would have had 7 million more in TV revenue though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

It really does my nut in when people say this.

I bet it's the same ones that were saying it was a 'blessing in disguise' that we lost in the play off final in 2016. That worked out well didn't it!

Relegation from any division is never a good thing. I would rather us still be in the Championship and DM rebuilding us there into a mid table team this season and progressing the season after.

League 1 is a backwater. Hardly gets a mention in the media. Try and find some League 1 content on the BBC's website. It's way behind Women's football for coverage.

Our income from TV revenues etc. will be hugely reduced due to relegation too.

I understand, but the BBC, there political correctness rubbish means Scottish football and the Women Super league appears before the championship - the 4th most watched and supported league in world football.

There Saturday match day coverage is a complete joke, only cover the second half and if the Premier leagues on an international break they dont bother. 

No the BBC stopped being a footballing becon in the early 90's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

In hindsight it has its plus points...We will win more often (probably),,,and its made Chansiri realise he can't charge top whack for absolute crap...I doubt this was a bit of him giving back..I reckon he saw he had no choice,and maybe his his "Iknow little of football" comment has finally actually hit home...So he has left it up to Moore.

Relegation is never nice to suffer, but its great when you go up...lets hope that happens

My only worry with DC is he has used relegation to justify lower prices, not that he was over charging in the first place, every announcement has made the point of the price reduction.

I really hope he and the club has learnt and if we get promoted everything does not increase 20% again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

You honestly think we have bottomed out no where near.

The team on the pitch is looking better but we are playing a league below, we still have a lot of players on wages too big to sustain at this level I think moving on the likes of Patterson and Luongo would be good business as both do not fit into the dynamic approach we are hoping to play. If we get big offers in for other players, they need to be seriously considered instead of going back asking for silly amounts.

But the big cloud hanging over the club is we have had to sell our stadium to prevent getting a points deduction, to then get a points deduction that ultimately relegated us. Our Multi Millionaire chairman who had that much money but the rule prevented him from using it, then when the club needed this money took out a £6m mortgage against the stadium (to pay the day to day bills) that then needs repaying in full in the next few weeks. If this does not happen off the field issues could have very real consequences whether the team can get to the field to play games if we get locked out of Hillsborough.

We don't know if there is any finance behind the club or it is fans money paying for everything, we have season ticket holders still owed money from 2 seasons ago, relegation cost us probably in the region of £10m a season with tv money and lost income and we have not filed the last season accounts yet which could show another £20-30m loss that we could end up with sanctions for this also depending what can be classed as Covid affecting.

Yes the team has started better, the kits were available for the start of the season, ticket prices still need some work as the category system needs scrapping but they are more sensible for a northern England club outside of the top 2 divisions and yes there seems to be positives with the corporate side, basically they are charge sensible prices.

But none of this is world beating the other 91 professional clubs have been doing this for years, it has taken nearly 7 years for our owner to realise we are not in the Premier League and competing in European every season so you cannot charge the prices he wanted and expect people/businesses to pay them.

Lets take the positive that have happened but don't fall into the trap of thinking DC has suddenly work out how to run a football club, the only changes are DC appears to be having less involvement in the day to day of the football club, hence things are running smoother without his meddling.

Didn’t Darren Moore say he was in contact with DC on a daily basis?

It’s amazing how many people seem to want to ignore this fact.

Or does that not suit the ‘Only reason we are doing ok is because DC isn’t involved’ argument?

• Like 2

Just now, bigthinrob said:

Didn’t Darren Moore say he was in contact with DC on a daily basis?

It’s amazing how many people seem to want to ignore this fact.

Or does that not suit the ‘Only reason we are doing ok is because DC isn’t involved’ argument?

Well for this many things to be going right DC must be locked away in an isolation room sonewhere. No public rants for nearly 3 months is unheard of for him.😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Like 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

The further away the chairman is the better

Nothing good has ever come from him thrusting himself into the spotlight

Does ‘further away’ mean anything in this global ‘always in contact’ world we live in?

People in all walks of life are working remotely & DC is no different. If Darren Moore says he speaks to DC numerous times a day, does that matter whether it is face to face or remotely?

If he wanted to interfere, he could just as easily do it remotely.

This idea that the reason we are doing ok is because DC is ‘incommunicado’ is as laughable as it is naive.

6 hours ago, room0035 said:

You honestly think we have bottomed out no where near.

The team on the pitch is looking better but we are playing a league below, we still have a lot of players on wages too big to sustain at this level I think moving on the likes of Patterson and Luongo would be good business as both do not fit into the dynamic approach we are hoping to play. If we get big offers in for other players, they need to be seriously considered instead of going back asking for silly amounts.

But the big cloud hanging over the club is we have had to sell our stadium to prevent getting a points deduction, to then get a points deduction that ultimately relegated us. Our Multi Millionaire chairman who had that much money but the rule prevented him from using it, then when the club needed this money took out a £6m mortgage against the stadium (to pay the day to day bills) that then needs repaying in full in the next few weeks. If this does not happen off the field issues could have very real consequences whether the team can get to the field to play games if we get locked out of Hillsborough.

We don't know if there is any finance behind the club or it is fans money paying for everything, we have season ticket holders still owed money from 2 seasons ago, relegation cost us probably in the region of £10m a season with tv money and lost income and we have not filed the last season accounts yet which could show another £20-30m loss that we could end up with sanctions for this also depending what can be classed as Covid affecting.

Yes the team has started better, the kits were available for the start of the season, ticket prices still need some work as the category system needs scrapping but they are more sensible for a northern England club outside of the top 2 divisions and yes there seems to be positives with the corporate side, basically they are charge sensible prices.

But none of this is world beating the other 91 professional clubs have been doing this for years, it has taken nearly 7 years for our owner to realise we are not in the Premier League and competing in European every season so you cannot charge the prices he wanted and expect people/businesses to pay them.

Lets take the positive that have happened but don't fall into the trap of thinking DC has suddenly work out how to run a football club, the only changes are DC appears to be having less involvement in the day to day of the football club, hence things are running smoother without his meddling.

This.

Great post