Relegation a blessing in disguise

Guest Garryswfcowl72

To everyone saying Chansiri has changed the running of the club….

Where is the evidence of this? It was only a month ago he owed the players £12m in unpaid wages.There was rumours that £12m came from someone other than Chansiri so he potentially hasn’t sorted his own cash flow issues out. Don’t forget we have a suspended 6 point deduction hanging over us.

We’ve made a lot of signings this summer and bloody good ones at this level but he’s always backed us in the transfer window. How do you know it won’t put us in trouble with FFP again? Chansiri is a gambler and there’s a little voice in the back of my head telling me our wage bill is probably still too high for this level.

Before anyone says the EFL have to ratify all of our transfers so it must be ok, I wouldn’t bank on it. We know they aren’t fit for purpose. They ratified the bury takeover and look how that turned out. Under our numerous embargoes they had to ratify transfers and that didn’t stop us falling foul.

Paxo is also still around. Moore might be having a bit more of a say in transfers but it’s a bit difficult for paxo to get his cronies in to the club when we can’t pay any fees.

Time will tell, and maybe Chansiri has learnt a lesson, but as a fan base lets not start giving him an easy ride because we’ve won a couple of games in the farmers league. It’s entirely his fault we are here in the first place and as people have said already we could have got our act together in the division above. 

It’s still a firm CHANSIRI OUT for me.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Bigger Guns said:

Where is the evidence of this? It was only a month ago he owed the players £12m in unpaid wages.There was rumours that £12m came from someone other than Chansiri so he potentially hasn’t sorted his own cash flow issues out. Don’t forget we have a suspended 6 point deduction hanging over us.

We’ve made a lot of signings this summer and bloody good ones at this level but he’s always backed us in the transfer window. How do you know it won’t put us in trouble with FFP again? Chansiri is a gambler and there’s a little voice in the back of my head telling me our wage bill is probably still too high for this level.

Before anyone says the EFL have to ratify all of our transfers so it must be ok, I wouldn’t bank on it. We know they aren’t fit for purpose. They ratified the bury takeover and look how that turned out. Under our numerous embargoes they had to ratify transfers and that didn’t stop us falling foul.

Paxo is also still around. Moore might be having a bit more of a say in transfers but it’s a bit difficult for paxo to get his cronies in to the club when we can’t pay any fees.

Time will tell, and maybe Chansiri has learnt a lesson, but as a fan base lets not start giving him an easy ride because we’ve won a couple of games in the farmers league. It’s entirely his fault we are here in the first place and as people have said already we could have got our act together in the division above. 

I’d like to add I’m still waiting on a refund for the season before last and ticket prices are still higher than most in the championship.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Doesn’t make sense.

Which of the players that have signed would have said no to the same deal but in the Championship.

As fans, we feel brighter and breezier because we are winning and look like competing for the top slots. I’m enjoying our start and looking forward hugely to every game, but I’d still want to be in the Championship.

i think the winning games part is a big thing but the real benefit would also be if we had one or two younger players of our own break through in a manner they might not get the chance to in the championship. I’m not sure that’s the plan though.

Personally I’m not sure yet how this team would fare in the Championship had we just put it together, especially at the top end of the pitch, even if stronger on paper than last season in some areas. But if we came up with momentum rather than having mixed results whilst rebuilding I could see a benefit there, that helped us get some good signings last time.

However if we don’t actually go up then relegation is no blessing and in that scenario youre absolutely right.

• Like 1

One of the commentators said it during the match, and it resonated with me for the rest of the night. Sheffield Wednesday need to get away from the losing culture that was engulfed the club for a good number of years. This drop to L1, and the departure or so many of those losing players, is maybe what we needed (only time will tell). But however we do it, whatever division we play in, I really dont care.

All I want to see is a SWFC full of players with passion, who really want to play for the blue and white striped shirt, who attack and try to play some nice football, and who are competitive in whatever league they play in. Give me that, and I'm happy. If I have to watch a slightly lower standard of football to achieve that, then so be it. It sure beats having to watch dross like Reach, Harris, etc just ambling around the pitch aimlessly with not a care in the world, cos that really boil my p15s.

Well never know if we’d stayed up whether dc would have stepped back like he appears to have now? Atm looks like he and his advisers have done...tine will tell how that pans out? Would have preferred to stay up but it’s happened now we appear to have reset and started again which is a good thing . The other thing is had we stopped up we might well be where derby are with the efl on too of them ? Who knows 

9 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Yes,thats right i did

So,points deduction has happened,stadium sale has happened,non paying of player wages has happened,relegation has happened,how much worse "going forward" does it have to get for us to really,really bottom out

If you're not going to read my replies and reply instead to imaginary posts, I'll leave it with you. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

And on, and on it goes, why do you keep posting stuff everyone is Aware of about the chairman. 

Ya like that guy who rattled on about Green peace and Thai tax write offs, he reckoned we'll be groundsharing with Donny come September. 

Chill man. 

Why do you keep burying your head in the sand when someone answers you with a reply you don't like you post stuff like above.

You don't like the reality then stop comment to the posts.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

but as a fan base lets not start giving him an easy ride

i think it's probably more to do with an online PR push to get him back in favour. Many posters cropping up with only a few posts, singing  chansiris's praises, and jumping on any fan that says otherwise.

chansiri out !! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Will more than likely get rolled over, loans like this are typical as you get a lower rate of interest if its secured against an asset rather than not. They are unlikely to demand the sale of the ground... particularly as in the absence of Sheffield Wednesday a piece of land on a flood plain in a not too desirable area of Sheffield wouldn't fetch much. The club is what gives the stadium value.

Anyway, DC might pay it off in full as whatever financial issues were hampering him last year seem to have been resolved.

If DC had gone to a reputable company maybe unfortunately the one he has used have a history of not allowing this to happen. DC the multimillionaire we were told mortgage a £60m asset (his valuation not mine) for a 10th of its worth - why he needed to do this we can only assume because he had no other assets or money to use.

If he does not pay it in full on the agreed date which is in September, the company could foreclose on the debt and sell off the asset to the highest bidder, they only need to get back £6m and presumable a super market or other business would pay at least that. 

Lets hope DC pays the debt and gets this sorted before we get to this situation, because all the current positives with the club could once again be scuppered with DC off the field mismanagement.

• Haha 1

On 19/08/2021 at 10:53, Gob_Bluth said:

But DM could have done all this stuff without us getting relegated

I’m glad this was the first post.

There is no benefit to relegation. Everything we’ve done this summer could have been done in The Championship. The same approach to signing and selling players more sensibly, the same opportunities.. 

Let’s enjoy the season, but we don’t have to create extra narratives that relegation is a blessing. It never has been for this club before and it isn’t now. 

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If DC had gone to a reputable company maybe unfortunately the one he has used have a history of not allowing this to happen. DC the multimillionaire we were told mortgage a £60m asset (his valuation not mine) for a 10th of its worth - why he needed to do this we can only assume because he had no other assets or money to use.

If he does not pay it in full on the agreed date which is in September, the company could foreclose on the debt and sell off the asset to the highest bidder, they only need to get back £6m and presumable a super market or other business would pay at least that. 

Lets hope DC pays the debt and gets this sorted before we get to this situation, because all the current positives with the club could once again be scuppered with DC off the field mismanagement.

We’d need to see the terms of the agreement before making assumptions like that.. obviously if he outright defaults they could take ownership of the stadium to cover the debt, but there could be clauses in it allowing it to be rolled over. They’d also receive more by receiving the lease money from the club than they would be gutting it and selling to Tesco.

3 months ago i’d have said it was a concern because we weren’t paying wages and he looked done. But somehow he’s got money again and we’ve rebuilt the team.. i know they’re mostly frees but it won’t have come cheap still, bet our wages still exceed income now that we barely get any TV money.

I can’t see him committing to building a promotion winning side when he didn’t have to, and then just casually allowing Hillsborough to be taken off us. I think the last few months have shown that just because the plan isn’t communicated to fans it doesn’t mean there isn’t one. I’m just intrigued to know where his money has come from when last season he was clearly skint.

7 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We’d need to see the terms of the agreement before making assumptions like that.. obviously if he outright defaults they could take ownership of the stadium to cover the debt, but there could be clauses in it allowing it to be rolled over. They’d also receive more by receiving the lease money from the club than they would be gutting it and selling to Tesco.

3 months ago i’d have said it was a concern because we weren’t paying wages and he looked done. But somehow he’s got money again and we’ve rebuilt the team.. i know they’re mostly frees but it won’t have come cheap still, bet our wages still exceed income now that we barely get any TV money.

I can’t see him committing to building a promotion winning side when he didn’t have to, and then just casually allowing Hillsborough to be taken off us. I think the last few months have shown that just because the plan isn’t communicated to fans it doesn’t mean there isn’t one. I’m just intrigued to know where his money has come from when last season he was clearly skint.

I am past the point of  caring it is all there on companies house their in a change over the company that owns the stadium to repay a loan by the 30 September.

Believe it disbelieve it think that DC is suddenly a business man who know how to run a club - I am passed the point of caring.

On 19/08/2021 at 10:51, Garryswfcowl72 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but for me relegation was the best thing to happen to us the club’s  bottomed out & pressed the reset button on & off the pitch the green shoots of recovery are starting to appear .we’ve got a better younger more dynamic squad got rid of lazy big earners a manager that’s bought in to what the fans want bringing the fans back in love with the club again after a divide that’s been there for over 2-3 years with poor appointments & recruitment. Chansiri’s advisors taking a back step is a massive boost better ticketing & merchandise is also better it’s a long way back on the pitch but you can feel the positivity around the club growing daily Mr Chansiri needs to learn from past mistakes & put things in place that are sustainable on & of the pitch within our finances. Uto

There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever from being relegated. All the things you cite could be achieved in the Championship with the added benefit of several millions more in income.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Why do you keep burying your head in the sand when someone answers you with a reply you don't like you post stuff like above.

You don't like the reality then stop comment to the posts.

My head is above ground thanks, 

I'm well aware of everything the chairman has done, when I ask a question about how things could be worse, out comes the "he's borrowed £6 million, if he doesn't pay it back swfc are homeless" adinfinitum, nowt to do with the question I asked. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

totally agree, there is no evidence to show that this muppet has learned anything and people need to remember we are only in this division because of his error.

On 19/08/2021 at 10:53, Gob_Bluth said:

But DM could have done all this stuff without us getting relegated

^^This plus there’s no guarantee that we’ll get promoted this season. I’m really encouraged by our start, everything that DM brings and Chansiri’s apparent new attitude but we may yet crash and burn this season and spend years languishing in this league. 

Relegation is never a blessing in disguise. Never. 

On 19/08/2021 at 10:56, CalmJimmers said:

We're only three game in to the season, could easy spend the next few years down here ala Sunderland.

Time will tell, think it's at least lifted the negativity around the club weirdly.

There is some danger that beating weak teams like Fleetwood not only makes us feel positive but persuades us to forget. We did not need to be relegated to hire a decent manager and allow a dozen players to leave at contract end to refresh the playing side. Relegation was not for the best. We are now at a level where we do not belong, effectively Division 3 with Fleetwood, Morecambe and Cheltenham. Without  faithful supporters, this club could have disappeared. 

As Paul Warne said, we can hire the best players available at this level…… as we do not belong at this level.

As he also says, we have now hired some “athletic players”  after playing too many who were physically limited in what they could do, with our midfield in particular inadequate. (Reach , Bannan and Pelupessy were constantly dominated. It was awful management. It showed as late as that match at Derby).

The penny has finally dropped after supporters saying from the play off final that the midfield was not strong enough when Hull’s midfield steamrollered ours. 

What we failed to do was do the same at Championship level ( at effectively Division 2 level) and hire decent players under decent management to form a team to stabilise at that level. The midfield was pathetic and additionally there was no fully functioning striker, with Rhodes the guy the chairman impudently says he bought because the fans wanted him (! really?) looking well over the hill. DC and his advisers were actually recruiting the players for the manager. 

DC incurred a points deductions and mismanaged the finances so catastrophically that Pulis ( wrong manager probably but who chose him? The man who sacked him after 10 matches) was told the team could not be strengthened in the January window which would have been the most normal management action in the world and he left with no successor lined up and we appointed an internal coach to sit out the window doing nothing. This is not ancient history but only 8 months ago.

The club at Championship level was ruined by DC. We are now playing minnows with the greatest respect to them. He is still in charge and what’s more while recruiting players still not repaying the season ticket holders unlike other clubs like for example locally Huddersfield. 

Feeling positive, Yes of course, but let’s try to keep things in perspective. 

• Like 1